• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay cuts fees & tightens standards for sellers

52 posts in this topic

Yeah, thanks a lot.

Lower my listing fee by .25c and increase my overall commission. Love this blurb.

"To make up for the revenue shortfall, eBay plans to increase its cut from final sale prices, known as final value fees. The move is designed to lower the risk for sellers if their items do not sell. "

eBay should know that the majority of their money probably comes from their top 10000 sellers, not Mom and Pop selling socks.

don't be too sure about the cuts

what they are cutting is the listing fee, and they will be more than making up in extra final value fees.

this has already happened on the UK version of ebay for comics, video games and DVDs, where there is a low listing fee, but a 9% final value fee.

The free gallery feature is nice, but big deal. Lowering the insertion fees because items aren't selling is just good business sense. Taking out more on the final value fees though means that ultimately as a seller I'm still paying the same amount; I'm just paying less if my item doesn't sell. My final verdict: BFD

As far as preferential discounts, etc...for good sellers: they truly have no clue what is going on in their own backyard...so I'll believe it when I see it.

Safer and Cheaper... lol

Yeah, thanks a lot.

Lower my listing fee by .25c and increase my overall commission. Love this blurb.

"To make up for the revenue shortfall, eBay plans to increase its cut from final sale prices, known as final value fees. The move is designed to lower the risk for sellers if their items do not sell. "

eBay should know that the majority of their money probably comes from their top 10000 sellers, not Mom and Pop selling socks.

Its not even as good as same old same old :screwy:

I wonder if ebay will still be around in about 5 years....they seem to be going down fast and alternative sites are popping up all over the place.

Yes, eBay will be around in five years. And ten. What "alternative sites" are popping up?

eBay is not just the biggest game in town, it is the only game in town. Until Google, or Microsoft, or the Wizard of Oz can show me a legitimate business reason to move my (and the four hundred thousand other power sellers') business off of eBay and onto another auction site, eBay will remain the dominant player.

eBay's like Microsoft. Everybody about Windows, but everybody uses it.

what they are cutting is the listing fee, and they will be more than making up in extra final value fees.

True. And by lowering the listing fees, they will actually increase the number of listings, and ultimately generate more revenue not just through higher final value fees, but through a greater number of auctions as well.

Pretty saavy move...

this has already happened on the UK version of ebay for comics, video games and DVDs, where there is a low listing fee, but a 9% final value fee.

Very similar to the move on stores. Even though you can list super expensive items for pennies, but the final auction fees are expensive so in the end you are paying for the removed risk of not selling your item in the first place and having to pay a listing fee to do so.

Feedback Changes

The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.

* Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

* Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)

* Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.

* When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.

* When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.

* Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.

* All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.

* Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.

**So no more excuses for you buying ninnies to not leave negative feedback.

There's some good news! Nothing like encouraging dickwads who don't pay to bid more often!

:o

I completely missed this because I read Greggy's post too fast. You are so right; this is absolutely encouraging it. (shrug)

There's some good news! Nothing like encouraging dickwads who don't pay to bid more often!

Just requires you now to hit people with UPIs all the time.