• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay cuts fees & tightens standards for sellers

52 posts in this topic

Well, I spent a few moments to make a chart to show just how much eBay is taking. It's pretty ugly and works out to a 12.78% average increase in eBay cost to do business:

http://homepage.mac.com/cpu/PercentOfSalePricePaidTofeeBay.jpg

It's even worse when you look at the cost of selling through an eBay store! Although I'm wondering if the spread of cost between auction and store inventory sales has actually shrunk to the point where the difference is slight.

Oh, and I love how they have sneakily decapitated the reserve price feature! I expect this change will get a LOT of complaint.

Thanks for that.

Let's not forget, though, that if buyer pays with Paypal, eBay gets an additional cut.

They want people like me, unfortunately, who is a PowerSeller, and makes them $15K a year. I'll bet soon enough they will raise the levels for PowerSellers, so all of the people who are currently "Bronze" PowerSellers ($1k a month) won't be PowerSellers anymore.

---------------------------------

So Donut, you sell upwards of $100K in books a year?

Yes, but since the PayPal costs aren't changed with the new 2/20 schedule, I didn't want to confuse things. It's clear that the sweet spot (auctions closing between $1 and $50) is where eBay is trying to seriously increase their revenue stream. I'm also wondering what will happen to the use of the reserve feature since the fees are no longer going to be refunded if a sale is made. I'm thinking there will be a LOT more Best Offers being used. Not to mention people leaving for other venues (Amazon, ComicLink, etc.) I know I'm looking into it.

What about Bidpay or whatever it was called?

It was ran by Western Union as a way to pay for eBay auctions via money orders by way of credit cards. They've shut down the service years ago.

Just a few weeks ago. :(

Effective December 31, 2007, BidPay.com, Inc. will be discontinuing operations. We regret any inconvenience to our users and thank you for your patronage over the years. Please note the following important details about the shutdown. Please plan accordingly.

It was ran by Western Union as a way to pay for eBay auctions via money orders by way of credit cards. They've shut down the service years ago.

Effective December 31, 2007, BidPay.com, Inc. will be discontinuing operations. We regret any inconvenience to our users and thank you for your patronage over the years. Please note the following important details about the shutdown. Please plan accordingly.

Actually, Western Union shut it down a few years ago, but Bidpay relaunched in 2006 (if I am not mistaken) with a new owner.

As a seller, I LOVED Bidpay. Didn't cost me a dime and as good as cash in hand. Zero chance of chargeback. For International Buyers, it was the best way to get payment.

They want people like me, unfortunately, who is a PowerSeller, and makes them $15K a year. I'll bet soon enough they will raise the levels for PowerSellers, so all of the people who are currently "Bronze" PowerSellers ($1k a month) won't be PowerSellers anymore.

---------------------------------

So Donut, you sell upwards of $100K in books a year?

Maybe 75K. 3000-3500 books per year adds up. 95% on consignment.

Don't forget the Paypal hit, and the hit on shipping. :frustrated:

Actually, Western Union shut it down a few years ago, but Bidpay relaunched in 2006 (if I am not mistaken) with a new owner.

As a seller, I LOVED Bidpay. Didn't cost me a dime and as good as cash in hand. Zero chance of chargeback. For International Buyers, it was the best way to get payment.

I remember BillPoint. BillPoint was great.

------------------------------

Yeah, I guess that number becomes a lot more attainable when you get a number of three and four digit books via consignment rather than trying to do it via tons of auctions averaging ending in the $5-$15 range.

------------------------------

Yeah, I guess that number becomes a lot more attainable when you get a number of three and four digit books via consignment rather than trying to do it via tons of auctions averaging ending in the $5-$15 range.

My 2007 average sale price was $24.83 on 3235 auctions. Add at least $5 for shipping on each item, so that makes it thirty bucks per.