• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dented staple?

28 posts in this topic

I have some books with a "dented" staple (meaning it's not straight). I think it occurred during production or distribution because they're the same issues and I got them from the same seller. Whatever caused the dent did not damage the book.

So what does that do, if anything, to a 9.2 type book?

Thanks.

There is a Conan #1 9.6 on comiclink right now and I think it has a dented staple..small scan though so can't be certain. This is a very common defect for early SA Marvels and probably does not affect the grade below 9.4

R.

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

When you say dented staple I am picturing a staple that is not entirely flush(sometimes it even looks loose) with the spine and is almost rounded at the folds creating a somewhat bowed, not straight or dented effect. As opposed to a staple that took a hit from a blunt object creating a kink, or a ding.

If the former, as others have already said it was production related and should not affect the grade.

Or is yours something altogether different?

Have a look at this top staple on (what else?) a Hellblazer #1:

hb1staple.jpg

As you can hopefully see, it curves right in, pushing very noticeably into the spine. Still a 9.6. Not sure if the staple even counts against it. It may have been knocked out of 9.8 by some other flaw (although I can't see one).

there is a white spot at the top of the spine...a bit of wear there?

Possibly, yes. It's hard to tell through the slab whether that corner is worn or if it is purely a bindery tear. The photo certainly makes it look worn.

Either way, the point is that the bent staple is clearly allowable in a 9.6, and might even be allowable in a 9.8 (if it's corner wear and not the bent staple that 'killed' that one).

there is a white spot at the top of the spine...a bit of wear there?

Possibly, yes. It's hard to tell through the slab whether that corner is worn or if it is purely a bindery tear. The photo certainly makes it look worn.

Either way, the point is that the bent staple is clearly allowable in a 9.6, and might even be allowable in a 9.8 (if it's corner wear and not the bent staple that 'killed' that one).

Did you ever call for grader's notes? You're in the UK, right? In fact, send me the bar code # and I will tell you why the book only graded a 9.6. I'm going to call them this aft anyway. That's teh best way to find out.

R.

This is a common flaw on ASM 122 and there are lots of ultra-HG CGC copies with dented staples.

So if CGC determines it's production, then no deduction at all.

CGC will cut the grades that certain production defects are allowed in though.Not all production defects get carte blanche....

Printer (nutsack) crease is allowed in 9.8, though not in 9.9 I believe.

Miswraps allowed up to 9.9 but depend on how severe.

Missing staple I believe is allowed up to 9.6.

R.

Printer (nutsack) crease is allowed in 9.8, though not in 9.9 I believe.

Miswraps allowed up to 9.9 but depend on how severe.

Yeah, I see how CGC is really hammering down on production flaws. lol

I don't see the problem. It just means i get more for my books when I have them graded.

:P

BTW JC, we're talking a miswrap of less than 1/16" on 9.9 (which is probably not going to register on someone's radar) and less than 1/8" on a 9.8. Not really a big deal.

And the nutsack crease? It's just a matter of personal preference. I had one on the back cover of a 9.8. Not sure if they allow it on the front.

R.

This is a common flaw on ASM 122 and there are lots of ultra-HG CGC copies with dented staples.

I have seen alot of 122s with dented staples.

I have seen alot of 122s with dented staples.

Nik for me the big question is have you ever seen a 9.8 with a dented staple?

I know it's allowed in 9.6

R.