• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dented staple?

28 posts in this topic

BTW JC, we're talking a miswrap of less than 1/16" on 9.9 (which is probably not going to register on someone's radar) and less than 1/8" on a 9.8. Not really a big deal.

Are those published specs, because I've seen 9.8's worse than that.

I had one on the back cover of a 9.8. Not sure if they allow it on the front.

Definitely - just ask greggy.

BTW JC, we're talking a miswrap of less than 1/16" on 9.9 (which is probably not going to register on someone's radar) and less than 1/8" on a 9.8. Not really a big deal.

Are those published specs, because I've seen 9.8's worse than that.

I had one on the back cover of a 9.8. Not sure if they allow it on the front.

Definitely - just ask greggy.

JC there are published specs in the overstreet grading guide as to what "size" of defect is allowed in each grade. I'll dig it up when i get home.

R.

JC there are published specs in the overstreet grading guide as to what "size" of defect is allowed in each grade.

Yeah, and it also states that mis-cut books can't get a NM grade, so what?

Although CGC states it *follows* the OS standards, it is not way bound by them.

Joe I just checked out the OS GG. There wasn't any reference to miscut or miswrap that I could find, but there are a couple of charts (page #127,128) in the grading guide. In these charts they show that 1-2 "subtle" defects are allowed in 9.8, and the (I suppose if there is onlyone) defect cannot be larger than 1/8". If that is the case, that means that a 1/8" (about 3 mm) miswrap is acceptable. I don't consider a miswrap like that an eyesore IMO and so this shows that OS and CGC do follow a similar policy when it comes to size of defects and defects allowed in this case anyway.

R.

Joe I just checked out the OS GG. There wasn't any reference to miscut or miswrap that I could find.

Come on, there are lots, both in the text and pictorial examples, and we had some serious arguments about them back in those "QP is King" type of threads.

Joe I just checked out the OS GG. There wasn't any reference to miscut or miswrap that I could find.

Come on, there are lots, both in the text and pictorial examples, and we had some serious arguments about them back in those "QP is King" type of threads.

True, but miswrap is more of a personal thing unless it is extreme. Like a date stamp. There's nothing absolute about it. Some people factor it into grade more than others.

Blob only wanted to know if his dented staple affected the grade...talk about tangents.

R.