• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you want under the Christmas Tree??

15 posts in this topic

Ah yes, I know Christmas is 50 or so days away but I get into the spirit early and I love Christmas! And please no whinny about the over commercialization of the seasons true meaning. I am a church goer who can discern the two and I think most can also.

Please list what you want this year comic book related excluding the obvious- CGC books.

For me it's:

-The Doom Patrol Archives- I am a Marvel man but I like many books in the DC lexicon including this kooky team. What is it with Marvel? The Marvel fan base is what 2 or 3 to one compared to DC? And DC continues to turn out wonderful and "new" archive editions like clockwork and Marvel Masterworks are a complete mess and they keep reprinting the same thing over and over!

-Jack Kirby: The Comics Journal Interviews- Kirby is my hero of heroes and any book on the man is a must for me.

-Marvel Essentials- I am falling behind on these but this is something Marvel does that I think they are doing an okay job on- just okay that is.

-The John Romita Sketchbook, The Art of Nick Cardy, The John Buscema Sketchbook, Gil Kane: The Art of The Comics- I love books about comic book artists even if I am not a big fan and especially if they were quite active in the Silver Age.

Tons of other things related but alas it will probably be the same old dress shirt and pack of underwear!

Now some gifts that don't exist but I wish they did:

-The Photo Journal Guide to DC Comics from the Silver Age to the Present.- with the death of Gerber(I don't think he was working on this anyway)this project is probably dead for now- Can't DC do it themselves and just use the cover reproductions that they use in their archive editions? I can live with that.

-The Complete Jack Kirby Fantastic Four Masterworks Super Edition. His entire run including annuals and covers he did on the book in the Seventies. Why oh why cant' they do a book like this? I think it would be awesome! I could think of many "Super Editions" with more Kirby and many other artists. Probably very expensive but the damn things are already 50 bucks!

-The Comic Book Art of Jim Steranko- nuff said.

-Magnus Robot Fighter Archives(Silver Age edition)

- Those cheesy Marvel "cut out" cartoon shows from the 60's on DVD.

Once again tons more I would love to see and please forgive the longest post of all time. conservo.

What do I want under the Christmas Tree? Hmmm...well, as a Church goer you probably know there are more important things in life than comics, so...I want a beautiful woman dressed up in a Santa costume (without the beard) grin.gif ready, willing, and able to take that costume off without a second thought. grin.gif

Would like to see Cgc grade consistently between decades & even within the same decade (60s) grade silver DCs using the same criteria as for silver Marvels. Now I know why no one wants to submit silver DCs for slabbing. Overly harsh w/ DCs.

I wouldn't mind a BMW M50 engine I could drop into my track car. If that doesn't happen, maybe Santa could bring me a Shock Suspense 6 Gaines File Copy. BTW, I learned from the agate in your posting that E. Gerber had died. That's the first I had heard of his death - his Photo Journal Guides did a lot to increase "cover-awareness" in the hobby. I only spoke to him once by telephone, but I'm sure he'll be missed. He seemed like a nice man.

For Christmas I would like to just have one week where no one comes into my store and tells me they remember when comics were a nickel...

All the random comments about books they used to have that Mom threw away are fine, but the incessant group of people who come in and tell me they remember when comics were a nickel drive me nuts.

THEY WERE NEVER A NICKEL!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!

Oh, and on a more realistic note, I wouldn't mind if someone slabbed a copy of DD 148 in 9.8 either... I am happy to pay for the book, the gift would be someone digging out a stellar copy and sending it through...

I am well aware of Bulletman... and that his Nickel Comics and a few other titles such as Lucky Star were available for a brief period of time with a 5c cover price. For a brief period in 1951 there were enough for a separate rack...

But if you had any idea how many people tell me they remember Superman, Batman, Archie, Spider-Man, and X-Men all being a nickel.. They pull a copy of ASM 22 out of the box, comment on the 12c cover price, and then tell me they remember when Spidey comics were a nickel... Grrrrr... tongue.gif