• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: My Thesis is Nearing Completion!

34 posts in this topic

Congrats, it's a fantastic sensation to actually finish one, and it gets even stranger the higher up the scale you go.

When I got my Doctorate in 1999, it really was a 'what now ?' as I'd been in academia on and off since 1986.

Many of you who have spoken with me via PM or even in some of the forum threads have heard of my drawn-out thesis project for my Masters in English which I started over the summer. Last night I completed the 70+ page rough draft and spent nearly 12 hours at my thesis director's house revising and editing the entire document. End result: she was very encouraging about the quality of the product.

The end is in sight! With any luck, I should have the final copy completed and turned in within two weeks time! :grin: Anyhow, this place has been a FANTASTIC place for me to veg out as a study break zone in between writing chapter so just wanted to share in the good news!

I'm down wit dat bro' ... (thumbs u

resist the urge to name it something so esoteric as to simply be an inside joke with yourself!

:wishluck:

I think the title is pretty straight forward:

The Madness of Sir Lancelot:

The Problem of Identity and Insanity in Malory’s Le Morte D’Arthur

I'm conducting an analysis of Lancelot from Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur and the chapter where he discusses Lancelot's insanity and eventual restoration. I'm suggesting instead of being legitimately insane that he is instead performing as though he were insane as a means of resisting the social construction of identity.

When it's finalized, it will be digitalized and published online. I'll post a link when it's up (about a month or so from now).

Congrats! :applause:

Will you be going into education? Or, another discipline?

Presently, I am teaching at the secondary level but my applications to a number of different Ph.D. programs are out. I should get my acceptance/rejection letters in the next monht. :wishluck:

English major? Really? Perhaps you should look up "presently" in the dictionary, you're using it wrong. :gossip:

(The plumber ducks and runs, laughing like an idjit)

Congrats! :applause:

Will you be going into education? Or, another discipline?

Presently, I am teaching at the secondary level but my applications to a number of different Ph.D. programs are out. I should get my acceptance/rejection letters in the next monht. :wishluck:

English major? Really? Perhaps you should look up "presently" in the dictionary, you're using it wrong. :gossip:

(The plumber ducks and runs, laughing like an idjit)

pres·ent·ly adv

1. not at this exact moment but in a short while (formal or literary)

2. now, or during the current period, especially if not at some other time (some people object to this usage)

3. immediately and without delay (archaic)

So... while you might object to the usage this is right out of a dictionary so maaaaybe you should take your own advise on this before posting. ;)

lol

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Heh, I'm old school. When I was a younker I was taught that "at present" was proper usage for....well, for the present.

Presently was proper usage for something that would happen in a little while

Hee hee! You could say that I object to your usage, LOLOL

I'm conducting an analysis of Lancelot from Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur and the chapter where he discusses Lancelot's insanity and eventual restoration. I'm suggesting instead of being legitimately insane that he is instead performing as though he were insane as a means of resisting the social construction of identity.

When it's finalized, it will be digitalized and published online. I'll post a link when it's up (about a month or so from now).

Interesting...sounds like a compare/contrast of the character of Lancelot to Hamlet.

I hope you include some issues of BLACK KNIGHT in your end notes!

Good Luck.

Bill

Heh, I'm old school. When I was a younker I was taught that "at present" was proper usage for....well, for the present.

Presently was proper usage for something that would happen in a little while

Hee hee! You could say that I object to your usage, LOLOL

Beauty of language is that it is always changing. :)

Interesting...sounds like a compare/contrast of the character of Lancelot to Hamlet.

I hope you include some issues of BLACK KNIGHT in your end notes!

Good Luck.

Bill

To be honest Bill, I miss Shakespeare. I haven't really gotten to work with any of his plays in years.