• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PARADISE TORONTO COMICON JULY 12-13 2008

221 posts in this topic

Paradise Conventions is pleased to welcome back

DALE KEOWN

Dale Keown is a Canadian comic book artist from Grande Prairie, Alberta. In 1989, Keown moved to Marvel Comics, where he first worked on Nth Man: the Ultimate Ninja, before replacing Jeff Purves on The Incredible Hulk. Keown worked on Hulk with writer Peter David, creating one of the most memorable runs of the book, until leaving it in 1993, to start publishing his self-created Pitt at Image Comics. In 1995, publication of Pitt was moved over to Full Bleed Studios He gradually began working for other companies once more, drawing The Darkness for Top Cow and teaming up with Peter David once more with Hulk: The End for Marvel. Keown also drew a crossover featuring The Darkness and the Hulk.

http://www.fullbleed.com/

(SATURDAY ONLY)

SCHEDULPANELS & SEMINARS

(All panel guests are subject to change)

UPDATED JULY 8, 2008

SATURDAY, JULY 12, 2008 - SHOW HOURS 10:00AM - 7:00PM

11:00-12:00 Writers Guide to Comics (OAK ROOM)

-script troubles? Writers block? Having trouble meeting deadlines?

This is the perfect time to pick the brains of writers in the comic industry.

Moderated by Jeff Brown.

(FEATURING HOWARD WONG, J.TORRES, MATT MOHAMMED, AND TY TEMPLETON,)

12:30-1:30 How to Break into the Business Hosted by Glass House

Graphics (OAK ROOM)

(FEATURING DAVE CAMPITI, JINKY CORONADO, AND WILL CONRAD)

2:00-3:00 Web Comics the Future of the Medium? (OAK ROOM)

Transmission X, and other breakthrough webheads share the do's and

don't s to webcomics and how to best use the web to get your foot in

the door.

Moderated by Jeff Brown.

(FEATURING DANIELLE CORSETTO, ROB COUGHLER, AND TRANSMISSION-X)

3:30-4:30 Women in Comics: Why Are There So Few of Us, and Why Are

We Wearing So Little?

Normally women in comics discussions are panels that focus on the hardships of being a female creator, or a discussion of the stereotypes of female characters. Rarely are they celebrations of female creators and female creations alike. With this playfully titled event, that's about to change.

Presented by Liana K (Canadian Bar and Grill)

(FEATURING EVA HOPKINS, DANIELLE CORSETTO, ALANA MCCARTHY, CK RUSSELL and AGNES GARBOWSKA)

5:00-6:00 SKETCH FEST

(All proceeds going to the Hero Initiative) (KING ROOM)

(FEATURING FRANCIS MANAPUL, ANDY BELANGER, CARY NORD, CK RUSSELL, PAT OLIFFE, RICHARD ZAJAC AND MORE)

Hosted by Jeff Brown & Nancy Zajac

We take your requests and then we auction these new masterpieces off.

SUNDAY, JULY 13, 2008 - SHOW HOURS: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

11:00-12:00 Creating Comics for Kids(OAK ROOM)

As the comic industry leans further toward the graphic novel market, more and more emphasis is being placed on creating books for libraries and classrooms that are targeted toward younger audiences. Join us, in this panel directed at parents, teachers, and librarians, who want more information about comics for younger readers, as we ask: What are some of the challenges in writing for younger audiences? What sort of books are available to educate and promote reading? What does the industry need to do to fulfill the demands of the public? Get answers

for these questions and many more from

(FEATURING J.TORRES, CHRIS YAMBAR, JACK BRIGLIO, KEN WHEATON AND MICHAEL BOCIANOWSKI)

Moderated by Jenn Stewart, teacher and owner of The Dragon.

12:30- 1:30 Paradise Mystery Panel.(OAK ROOM) This is a panel put

together for anyone who loves comics, pop culture and wants to gaze

into the future of comics. Filled with surprise guests and maybe an

announcement or two.

Hosted by Sean Mcmanus

(FEATURING SCOTT WEGENER, DAVID PETERSEN,STUART SAYGER)

2:00- 4:00 the World of Steve Ditko

Hosted by Blake Bell(OAK ROOM)

E OF EVENTS FOR THE 2008 SHOW

COMICS FOR KIDS SCHEDULE

Saturday July 12

12-1 Agnes Garbowska & Francis Manapul

1-2 Ken Wheaton teaches how to draw Simpsons

2-3 Michael Bocianowski

3-4 Ty Templeton teaches how to draw Batman/Superman

Sunday July 13

12-1 Michael Cho & Claudia Davila

1-2 David Petersen teaches how to draw Mouse Guard

2-3 Chris Yambar & Richard Maurizio

3-4 Tom Fowler teaches how to draw MAD-ly

Crystal Fractal Comics and Paradise Toronto Comicon are pleased to announce that they will be providing complementary copies of “Crystal Fractal Universe Issue 0.0 – the Paradise Toronto Comicon Preview Edition” to the first 100 attendees at the July 12-13 show! 100 specially marked coupons will be provided at the registration desk, which will be redeemable at the Crystal Fractal Comics booth (booth R37).

“Crystal Fractal Universe 0.0” provides a glimpse of the upcoming line of comics including “Doctor Twilight”, “Magus Rex” and “Project Epsilon London Town” and includes two short stories including “CFU The Crossing” written by Derrek Lennox with Jeffrey Haas and art by JianYi. This edition is limited to 1600 copies – including those set aside for the CGC Signature Series.

“We are extremely excited to provide these copies to the first 100 attendees!” says Derrek Lennox, founder and Editor-in-Chief of Crystal Fractal Comics

One more Convention Exclusive

Ed and Red present Paradise Toronto Comicon Exclusive Artist Print, Proceeds Go To HERO Initiative

Continuing their mandate to support and promote local comics talent, and as part of their continued support of the HERO Initiative, Ed the Sock and Liana K. are participating in their first convention exclusive print! The artist, talented Torotonian Melanie Espinola, has created a magnificent print of Ed as Captain Marvel and Liana in her infamous Power Girl costume. The print is limited to 100 signed and numbered prints which will be selling for $10 each, with all money raised going to the comics charity the HERO Initiative!

"It's a triple win." Long-time comics fan Liana says. "Melanie gets some well-deserved exposure, the fans get a unique collectable, and the money goes to a very worthwhile cause!"

The prints will be available at Ed and Red's booth ( R17) at the convention, which runs July 12 - 13 at the Holiday Inn on King.

ALL ONLINE TICKET SALES WILL STOP AS OF 10:00 AM FRIDAY JULY 11 AFTER THAT ANY TICKETS WILL HAVE TO BE PURCHASED FROM THE BOX OFFICE AT THE CONVENTION.

THE BOX OFFICE OPENS AT 9:00 AM SATURDAY AND SUNDAY

WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING ALL OF YOU THERE.

And I'm unprepared as usual. :acclaim:

So, you'll still be setting up at 1:00 PM tommorrow? :baiting:

Yes :tonofbricks:

Bring some SS books to my booth to sell ;)

Like what? If I bring a Byrne book you'll only end up buying it.

Yes...yes I will. :cloud9:

Bring a shortbox of SS books for me to cherry-pick. :banana:

I had a fantastic time at the show, and I want to thank the guys at Paradise and the many volunteers they had for making it great.

I even had the pleasure of bumping into several board members (not just the local Toronto guys), so that was a real treat.

Thanks to everyone!

I had a blast at this as well. Kind of got a different perspective since I volunteered for the show this time around. Was glad I did. Had a totally different experience because of it.

As a side note-- AlexH is one of the classiest guys ever. I don't think it's aprropriate to tell either story that caused me to say this-- but kudos to him nonetheless.

Was good seeing everyone there as well. Got to meet a couple new board members as well as the usual suspects that I really don't see often enough.

Big thanks to Peter and Doug for another great show. I really didn't think my opinion of either of them could be any higher, but if it were possible surely it would be.