• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone see the Superman 1, 9.0 on ebay?? WOW

52 posts in this topic

This may not mean anything but: Take a look at the letter "R" where it says 'ALL IN FULL COLOR'. Your "R" looks different than the "R" on the other 3 copies. It seems more 'typeset' whereas the others appear more 'hand lettered'. Maybe it's just your scan. I don't know what it means but I found it interesting.

That might be inaccurate color touch

Do you have a house you can sell? It already sold.....I purchased it from a gentleman who owned it since 1969...He paid around $75......Lets just say 12 Hulk 181's in NM/M 9.8 is what its worth.....The Mile High copy is a VF 8.0, but those in the know....KNOW!!

Do you have a house you can sell? It already sold.....I purchased it from a gentleman who owned it since 1969...He paid around $75......Lets just say 12 Hulk 181's in NM/M 9.8 is what its worth.....The Mile High copy is a VF 8.0, but those in the know....KNOW!!
OK....I guess I know! BTW....nice post in the AM in the other thread! wink.gif

A bid of 50K on that book is nuts.

Restored Superman #1's might not be a dime a dozen, but

they aren't rare by any means. I sold a 5.5 for 14K a couple

of years ago.

That 7.5 blue label is off the hook. Nicest unrestored one I had

was a VG+ - sold it forever ago at the first Christie's auction, didn't

realize at the time how tough it was to get a nice unrestored one.

That Action #1 is also an old Christie's copy - I want to say from

the '96 auction, but I don't have my catalogs in front of me, so I'm not sure.

It was the same auction that had the Action #1 cover print thingie though.

50-60K is certainly much closer to market value on that book.

so you sold it for $240?

whats it going for now? ( I'd ask what you think its worth, but since you just sold it...doesnt seem like the right way to phrase it!)

what do you mean by "off the hook"?

good or bad? It seems like its the nicest unrestored Superman #1 inexistence. Is that what you are saying?

Who knows if zilla will pop back in to field this one, so I'll pitch in... "off the hook" meaning "outrageous in a highly positive way."

I assume this post is a joke? What price did this book go for?

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=807&Lot_No=5875&src=pr&sid=9A2821C0CC323105781E7229C77D17A7#PHOTO

Which book is nicer?

I would say they were the exact same quality since they're the exact same book. grin.gif

I like fieldling the easy ones.

acclaim.gif

There's some SERIOUS selling going on there.

thanx Rob!

and while Ive got you, what did you mean by this earlier? Are lots of big ticket books suddenly showing up?

Is it the lead up to the (ahem) crash?

and finally, do you think the Superman #1 CGC 7,5 is a good but at $240K (Thats more than double guide for a VF-) Does the fact that it may be the 1st or 2nd best unrestored copy in existence warrant a 'lowly' VF- selling for double guide (by condition)? Or, in another angle, a VF- selling for the NM 9.4 price?

There's some SERIOUS selling going on there.

thanx Rob!

and while Ive got you, what did you mean by this earlier? Are lots of big ticket books suddenly showing up?

Is it the lead up to the (ahem) crash?

It was a comment on that specific auction with no larger implication. I meant that the guy was pulling out all the stops and doing the full-blown salesman routine- accentuating the positive and downplaying the negatives on an expensive and important book.

Rob, thanks for covering for me there.

As for Superman #1 in high grade - it is probably the toughest

superhero key to acquire in unrestored high grade condition.

Heck it's tough to find an unrestored one period.

Is double guide a good buy on one? I guess that's up

to the buyer and seller. But I wouldn't think it unusual for

a VG unrestored copy to bring 2x guide, so it's certainly

not a crazy asking price by any means.

As for Superman #1 in high grade - it is probably the toughest

superhero key to acquire in unrestored high grade condition.

Any idea as to why this is? Why is it easier to find Action #1 then Superman #1? Were there more printed? Did people just realize the significance of Action sooner?

BTW - This thread is really interesting (especially since I don't follow GA Books as much as I'd like)

Chris

thanx for the answer to my question, Zill.

It seems 'unnecessary' to pay double VF guide for GA key bevause generally, the multiples break down for expnsive GA books. But I suppose, if you are correct as to the scarcity of HG unrestored Superman #1s, a 7.5 copy might be one of the best around. I have heard of one better plus the worked-on MH copy.

But I too am curious as to why a book with three printings estimated to total a million copies would now be so 'rare'. Was it the WWII paper drives? Or were the second printings sent overseas? Or simply because they were reprints? How can this be so?

No, no - you misunderstood.

The book itself is not rare (though not as common as Cap #1 or Bat #1 either).

It is just hard to find in unrestored condition and near impossible to find in grade.

Why? who knows. Most of the pedigree collections either didn't have a copy or

had a damaged copy. I'm sure the book had to be quite popular with the kids (being the only all-Superman comic for months), plus that canary yellow cover shows every fingerprint and crease and just seams to gather dirt like a magnet.

It's over. Fifty grand-Reserve not met. I wonder if he'll take 10 grand in cash for the book? I still want to know what the reserve was.

The original story went like this:

There was a pants salesmen in the 1940's who was given a new line to sell and was told the pants sell for $10/pair. He went to his first customer who loved the pants and was told the price but asked. "If I buy a dozen for the store, can I receive a discount?". The salesman phoned the co. president, asked for the price for a dozen, and was told that the customer could buy the dozen for $108 ($9/ea).

NOw the salesman walked away with an order and additional info. He walked into his second customer and showed the line which was loved by the new customer. The sales pitch was that the pants are $10/each or $108 for a dozen. The customer asked the price if he bought three dozen. The salesman went through

the procedure and called the prez who told him he could sell the pants @$8/pair if the customer bought three dozen pairs. A sale was made and the salesman went to see a third customer, showed him the line, and quoted him the new deal. The customer asked for a price for five dozen. THe salesman phoned the prez and was told he could sell the pants for $7/ea if the customer bought 5 dozen.

Luck was not on the salesman's side when later in the day he was hit by a vehicle crossing the street and was taken to a hospital in critical condition and soon it became apparent he would not survive. The salesman's family arrived at the hospital as well as a preist but the salesman wasn't particularly interested in seeing them. All of a sudden the co. president walked in and the salesman perked up a bit and asked the prez if he would tell him one thing before he expires?. The prez looking at him a bit puzzled and said "Sure, what would you like to know?" The salesman looked at him and said, "What is the actual cost of the pants?"

I just want to know the reserve on the Superman 1.