• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 144 - Silliness Ensues

41 posts in this topic

Just listed this book, sorry for the spam, and had to comment,

893frustrated.gif Notice the exceptionally BAD use of perspective on this book - the window is smaller the kid. Boy, do those poor people look happy to be flooded out. And Superman is just blasting by them. She looks pretty damn hot, too, for a woman who had to scramble to the top of her roof in a flood. Nobody's wet, either. Her hair is neatly coiffed. Even the chicken looks happy.

action144.jpg

Y'know, that stiff flying pose for Superman made me think of Wayne Boring as well, but the GCBD credits this cover to Al Plastino.

Wayne Boring could be stiff, but he was the premier pre-Curt Swan Superman artist of the 1950s. I really liked his Krypton planetscapes. And as I recall, he was good with perspective. (This cover must represent a really bad day for whomever...)

That "stiff flying pose", to me, is indicative of Wayne Boring...I guess I am somewhat biased against the guy as I really "hated" his artwork on Superman and was sooooo pleased when Curt Swan started drawing the man-of-steel....

IMHO that cover is classic tongue.gif Wayne Boring or at the very least one of his imitators... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

New Comics #3

Apparent VG- 3.5 Slight (A)

Restoration includes color touch, piece added (Large piece of tape on cover)

Cream to Off-White Pages

D.C. Comics 2/36

Mayer, Siegel & Shuster art

That "stiff flying pose", to me, is indicative of Wayne Boring...I guess I am somewhat biased against the guy as I really "hated" his artwork on Superman and was sooooo pleased when Curt Swan started drawing the man-of-steel....

IMHO that cover is classic tongue.gif Wayne Boring or at the very least one of his imitators... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm a Wayne Boring hater too - he's right up there with Frank Robbins on personal list of GA hack artists. This is a Wayne Boring cover, IMHO.

*As for Curt Swan, I like his stuff, but didn't Curt Schaffenburger (sp?) precede Swan in terms of SA Supes art?

I'm a Wayne Boring hater too - he's right up there with Frank Robbins on personal list of GA hack artists. This is a Wayne Boring cover, IMHO.

*As for Curt Swan, I like his stuff, but didn't Curt Schaffenburger (sp?) precede Swan in terms of SA Supes art?

I'm pretty much with you there Garth...Robbins seemed to do his inking with a freakin' magic marker... tongue.gif

I agree that both Boring and Robbibs' artwork are hard on the eyes. All Boring's people look the same, and he reuses his layouts and backgrounds too much. Robbins looks like a drunken sprawl, like he couldnt see straight after a night af the Blarney Stone.

AT FIRST. Thats how I used to feel about both guys. Take another look and admire the sheer sleek power of Boring's Superman poses, and his 50s Metropolis with gleaming skyscrapers. Sure Lois is awkwardly pointing to the sky all the time, but this is his STYLE and I now take the absurd with the awesome. he had a sure touch and command of his linework.

As for Robbins, he took over on Batman right after the golden age of Neal Adams and BOY was he a shock to the eyes!! (I never knew his REAL GA work) What a dark mess! Too many brushstrokes everywhere. No details. No grace. But, here too, as I read each story, I came to appreciste HIS unique visual style. Because each brushstroke served a purpose in building up the shapes: There was a solidity and fluidity in his approach. It all adds up. Is his work "pretty"? No way. But effective.

These are both IMO very talented artists. Just not everyone's cup of (vanilla) tea!

Dont get me wrong, I dont like every artists' style. I too have my personal hack list. But these guys arent on it.

As for Robbins, he took over on Batman right after the golden age of Neal Adams and BOY was he a shock to the eyes!! (I never knew his REAL GA work) What a dark mess! Too many brushstrokes everywhere. No details. No grace. But, here too, as I read each story, I came to appreciste HIS unique visual style. Because each brushstroke served a purpose in building up the shapes: There was a solidity and fluidity in his approach. It all adds up. Is his work "pretty"? No way. But effective.

Finally, a voice of reason! Robbins has been flamed on these boards since I got here. Having seen some of his Marvel work (Cap America for instance), I can somewhat see why: he was very ill-served by the Marvel bullpen inkers.

But look at his solo Shadow and Batman stuff: Yes, it pales in comparison to Kaluta and Adams respectively (but then who would not?), but judged on its own terms, it is very powerful stuff from the Milt Caniff school. It's just that modern readers are used to seeing hyper-realistic work, which Robbins certainly is not.

AT FIRST. Thats how I used to feel about both guys. Take another look and admire the sheer sleek power of Boring's Superman poses, and his 50s Metropolis with gleaming skyscrapers. Sure Lois is awkwardly pointing to the sky all the time, but this is his STYLE and I now take the absurd with the awesome. he had a sure touch and command of his linework.

Although Boring may have good line work and be very capable of drawing inanimate objects I found his ability to draw fluid action in a living creature to be very lacking and is the main reason why I dislike his style.

In my eyes he may be a good draftsman that would be better suited to architecture design.

Although Robbin's style does not appeal to me I did find that he was able to tell the story very well with his interpretation of events. Perhaps his heavy-handed style would have better been suited on a "Horror" title since he was very capable of working with a ton of black ink.