• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got my grades back - much better this time, but PGX still sucks

39 posts in this topic

were the PGX books submitted in their cases?

Yeah.

I wonder what the difference would have been if cgc didn't know they had been pgx'd?

I have to think/hope/pray that the books were removed from the pgx slab before they made it to grading, therefore the graders had no idea they were ever in pgx slabs, let alone what the grade was. If this is not the case, it certainly should be.

pardon my stupid question...

but why slab these. Does it increase their value alot?

I am asking a sincere question on these moderns.

Any 9.8 Sandman is likely to sell for far more than the price of the raw book + slabbing fees. Particularly the issue 1 and the Miracleman 14, they will fetch a decent amount, even at 9.6.

Or if the slabber is not looking to resell, as a Sandman fan myself, I would love to get a nice HG slabbed run to go with my readers.

This would be a good experiment for say 20/20 to do a special on. Take 100 different books and send them to CGC. Then once they come back, crack them out of their case and send them to PGX. Then compare the grades.

With neither company knowning the experiment is going on. That would be a fair comparison.

Except you'd want to do it in the reverse order. Send to PGX first, then CGC. Otherwise you'd finish your experiment with 100 PGX books! doh!

The mere fact that people send their PGX books to CGC shows that CGC have nothing to prove. Does anybody ever send CGC books to PGX? Hardly! Unless of course it was a purple label and they wanted it 'unpurpled' lol

I think both companies want to be known for grading stricter. It points to their credibility overall.

I think that grading accurately and consistently would do more to bolster credibility then anything else.

Yeah.

I wonder what the difference would have been if cgc didn't know they had been pgx'd?

The graders don't know if they were graded by PGX or not.

My experience with SA and BA books from a couple of years back is that PGX is harder on 9.0 or better grades than CGC. All of the 9.0 and 9.2 PGX books I bought locally (at least this way I know they were not doctored before being submitted!) have come back as 9.4 to 9.6, which is what I had them pegged at before resubbing anyway.

However, looking at the *spoon* that PGX passes off in even 8.0 (I gambled on a GL #76 PGX 8.0 that was no better than a 7.0 - luckily I flipped it for a healthy profit on eBay a year later :applause: ), I would not touch anything in a PGX slab that is graded as less than 9.0.

Well, take the Sandman #19 error edition, for instance. PGX has graded 24 copies of that book, and have handed out 2 10.0's and 14 9.9's. CGC have graded 133 copies and have not given out anything higher than a 9.8.

This needs to be pointed out again.

16 out of 24 are 9.9 or higher with PGX.

0 out of 133 are 9.9 or higher with CGC.

PGX is a SCAM. :mad:

Yeah.

But they were sent in their pgx slabs.

Never thought id hear such harsh words on a CGC board...

Thats a joke son..

I suppose it needs to be pointed out again.

Well, take the Sandman #19 error edition, for instance. PGX has graded 24 copies of that book, and have handed out 2 10.0's and 14 9.9's. CGC have graded 133 copies and have not given out anything higher than a 9.8.

This needs to be pointed out again.

16 out of 24 are 9.9 or higher with PGX.

0 out of 133 are 9.9 or higher with CGC.

PGX is a SCAM. :mad:

You win the lottery once, good for you. You win twice... wow.

You win 16 out of 24 tries? How's your mom (the lottery coordinator) doing?

I wonder what you would hear on the PGX boards.

hm

I hate CGC they say all my books are 9.0 and PGX say they are 9.9.... CGC must just give certain people high grades (people who submit 100's of books a month)

Id guess something like that.. If there even is a pgx board..?

Yeah.

But they were sent in their pgx slabs.

What's your point? The graders don't know that.

Just repeating what we've all been told.......

I have no reason to doubt that statement. What would they have to gain by letting the graders know the pgx grade? Everything CGC has is due to its perceived integrity and impartiality. They aren't going to risk that so they can try to prove they're stricter graders than pgx.

pardon my stupid question...

but why slab these. Does it increase their value alot?

I am asking a sincere question on these moderns.

Like cd4ever said, any Sandman issue in CGC 9.6 or better is worth enough to cover the cost of the slabbing & the raw book - apart from the key issues, the series is very under-represented in the census and there are several HG slabbed Sandman collectors out there.

For me it's not about the value, though - Sandman is my alltime fave series by far, and even though I currently have the #1 registry set, I'm still missing a good stack of books. And as people in general are very unwilling to giving up their Sandmans, I have to do my own submissions to get the ones I need.