• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classic covers?

23 posts in this topic

Yes....My TOS #58, indicates a classic cover. If you look in Overstreet, he notes classic covers on many books. Pretty sure that Fury #5 is noted as a 'classic cover'. Same with Cap. #113. Also, the are a number of GA Cap books that are noted as classic covers (most of these are the WW2 battle covers).

That being said, I do not know what constitutes a 'classic cover'. Maybe "arnoldt" can help us out.

Chris

Strange Tales 167 is noted with a "Classic Flag cover" as far as I can remember. I sold my copy earlier in the year so I can't confirm this at this moment. grin.gif

CLASSIC cvr seems to be geared towards patriotic covers (e.g. Capt Marvel Jr 1940s). Don't have my Overstreet so not sure if grotesque covers like Suspense 3 (Continental, Xela) or robot cover from Fantastic Comics #3 (Lou Fine) are deemed classic.

I remember reading something to the effect that a classic cover is usually one that has long been used in other areas, such as posters, promotional material, T-shirts, etc. and has progressed beyond a mere comic cover to be part of our collective consciousness.

This may be a chicken before the egg conundrum, but I do remember seeing this in print somewhere.

Yup, Strange Tales #167 is noted in the Overstreet as having a classic flag cover (CGC notes it on the label as well). I think the Overstreet notes that Nick Fury 1-7 have classic Steranko artwork and I was never sure why they singled out #5 with the 'classic cover' tag. I personally think 1, 4 and 7 have better covers, but that's just my opinion grin.gif

Good call, Hogations....#7 is an awesome cover! So is #1. I like #5 though....kinda reminds you of the old 60's movie posters and album covers. But, any way you look at it, you can't go wrong with Steranko!

Chris

BTW - Where the hell is Darth today??????

Rumor has it, if you lick the cover on #7, you'll have Shaman-like visions (Cue in The Doors, "The End")...oh yeah! That's the stuff! cool.gif Gotta wear my glasses so you can't see the size of my pupils! shocked.gifgrin.gif

Chris

Xela Suspense #3 cvr is NOT singled out as classic althought 2 later # Suspense have been deemed classic per Overstreet. Think both devil covers on Mask 1 & 2 may be deemed classic. ASM #1 cvr too new or not classic enough per old guard/collectors?