• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Get Your Daily Dose of Wii

19 posts in this topic

Since coaching season had ended and I've been enjoying my 3 week spring break (one benefit of teaching at a boarding school!), I haven't had my regular workout routine. BUT, my wife and I did buy a Nintendo Wii. While I'm not longer in the same shape I was in when I was in the army, I still have enough in me to put most of the kids on my wrestling team to shame :) And I have to admit that 30 solid minutes of Wii Sports (boxing and tennis in particular) is a nice workout. Further, sometime in late spring/early summer Nintendo is supposed to be coming out with Wii Fit--a sort of personal virtual trainer program.

Anyhow, I just thought I would bring this up since I know some of you out there have been making some good progress on losing weight and getting in healthier shape. Even if you're in decent shape, it should at least get your heart rate up (and that's a good thing!).

Time flies when you're playing video games, so I only play upstairs when I'm working out. I get an average of at least 5 hours a week of exercise while I'm playing the Wii.

Clarification: I play Medal of Honor while I walk or ride stationary bike. It keeps me entertained for far longer than reading or watching TV/movies. I can exercise for up to 4 hours at a time on the weekends while playing the Wii.

To quote Cartman "KICKASS!".

I thought I read about a study they did with respect to weight loss and the Wii. I think the recommendation was to get to the gym. (shrug)

I'm not using as a complete replacement for the gym (well, sorta... just while I'm on break :) ) nor am I recommending it for replacing reg. exercise. But, I do think it works as a well as a supplement. Most trainers will recommend any opportunity of raising your heart rate and maintaining it for at least 30 minutes. (thumbs u

I thought I read about a study* they did with respect to weight loss and the Wii. I think the recommendation was to get to the gym. (shrug)

* Sponsored by Associated Gym Owners Operators. lol

They said the same thing about Dance Dance Revolution as a weight loss exercise program. (Some schools are using it as a physical activity.)

Anything that encourages activity is probably better than nothing...

The Wii is awesome! I should pick up Brawl pretty soon, seems like a great installment in the Smash Bros series. My 2 fav games have to be Super Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wicki. The graphics are very crisp and colorful on both games and they are packed with hours of single player fun!

lol Not falling for :baiting: from you Cap. I've seen that other end of that stick from a distance--no thank you! :grin:

Shoot. Well, I tried. :grin: