• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,525 posts in this topic

Not exactly an old pic, but I'm watching "While the City Sleeps" from 1956. It has to do with a serial killer and they profile him as one who reads comics! They even go as far as to say how comics tell people about how to go about and hide murders. 

So far, a pretty good flick. Here's a pic of the killer holding a fake comic. 

20240803_005526.jpg

At the end of the movie, TCM adds stuff and this time they mention that the producer showed it to a senator. He thought it could help him with his "war on comics."

Also, this is a great flick! Well worth a watch! Rhonda Flemming doesn't hurt either!

Edited by pmpknface

On 8/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, pmpknface said:

Not exactly an old pic, but I'm watching " While the City Sleeps" from 1956. It has to do with a serial killer and they profile him as one who reads comics! They even go as far as to say how comics tell people about how to go about and hide murders. 

So far, a pretty good flick. Here's a pic of the killer holding a fake comic. 

20240803_005526.jpg

Looks like tales from the crypt 32

On 8/2/2024 at 11:11 PM, pmpknface said:

Here a better pic, they don't look like the same book after he drops it. Good catch!

17226654449704802584105540164174.jpg

Definitely not the same book, and the GCD database has no listing for that title.  If it's not a foreign book, it was made for the production.  Notice the large size price, but with a symbol other than cents.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:07 AM, Darwination said:

I think I took a pic of this earlier, but I've scanned it and put it on Flickr for all the zoomable glory (just click it).  No comics, but the paperback thread will love -

Homer Page - New York, June 6, 1949

This is awesome!! There are a few Populars, but the overwhelming majority are Pocket Books (which I love) and quite a few Bantams sprinkled in. 

There are definitely some oddballs: I wonder how many books I’m short in order to recreate this scene… hm

No photo on the actual newsstand, but this copy of Tec 31 received two full date stamps in the white border of the logo - 85 years ago today - AUG 7, 1939 - at a Rexall Drug Store in Ontario, Canada 🇨🇦  

You can make out the drug store stamp underneath the castle. Here are some Rexall Drug store photos (don’t know the exact time periods), which make it fun imagining this book first being released and sold. And, remember, the OCT copies of Marvel Comics 1 would be released a few weeks later on AUG 31, 1939 @jpepx78 @BitterOldMan

@CW @Ameri

IMG_5305.png

Ben Tec 31 SOLVED.jpeg

ben tec 31c.jpeg

IMG_7743.jpeg

IMG_7746.jpeg

Edited by Primetime