• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, woowoo said:

Superman 9

Superman 9 boy reading.jpg

I just want to take a moment and note how this young man is dressed.  He's wearing dark shorts with weird striped socks and dark shoes, accentuating his pale white legs.  Additionally, he's wearing a long sleeve shirt with some sort of collar to match those shorts.  And his haircut is a little weird!

This is the original comic book geek.  His social and fashion deficiencies would lay down the tracks for all the rest of us to follow, leading to years of social exile and poor treatment by all the other kids that were into sports and girls instead.  I don't know whether to celebrate him or condemn him but either way, there he is.  

On 12/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I just want to take a moment and note how this young man is dressed.  He's wearing dark shorts with weird striped socks and dark shoes, accentuating his pale white legs.  Additionally, he's wearing a long sleeve shirt with some sort of collar to match those shorts.  And his haircut is a little weird!

This is the original comic book geek.  His social and fashion deficiencies would lay down the tracks for all the rest of us to follow, leading to years of social exile and poor treatment by all the other kids that were into sports and girls instead.  I don't know whether to celebrate him or condemn him but either way, there he is.  

Those cold sores look like they hurt.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:17 AM, Randall Dowling said:

chill man. He's dressed like a normal kid in the early 40s. there's nothing weird about it at all

On 12/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Am I only one that finds the man in the picture slightly unsettling?  Like you somehow caught a snapshot of the devil or something?  :insane:

Looks like he's leaving the back room where the "special" periodicals were displayed.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:20 PM, Larryw7 said:

When you look at this picture, it shows how hard it was to find nice copies even when the books were new. I know that you were lucky to get a VG/F copy at most of the 7-11's and drug stores where I bought comics.

dec19642.jpg.f8f76b458cf2d9bd7de91a2d8622ba42.jpg

We used to go up to our newstand the day the comics were delivered and pick our issues from the stack in the back before they hit the rack!

On 12/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Robot Man said:

If I would stop buy after school and unpack and rack the comics each week, I could pick 5 of them as payment. So I had first pick and rarely missed an issue from that time on.

Bourgeois capitalist exploiting child labor.  :preach:

On 12/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

We used to go up to our newstand the day the comics were delivered and pick our issues from the stack in the back before they hit the rack!

The first and bottom copies had the band marks and rubs always took from the center !