• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I got a sweet deal when I was a kid. We bought most of our comics from a small mom and pop drugstore. I rode my bike past it each day on my bike to and from school. No metal racks or spinners. Comics were either displayed in wooden racks with slots or laid flat in stacks on the bottom.

I was a respectful kid and often cleaned up the mess other kids had made. The owner noticed and was a nice old guy. He offered me a deal. If I would stop buy after school and unpack and rack the comics each week, I could pick 5 of them as payment. So I had first pick and rarely missed an issue from that time on.

You wouldn't believe the comics I got to rack for him...:x

Oh, and he counted MAD Magazine as one book even though it was twice the cost of a regular comic. 

I used to do the same thing for a local Rite Aid, but they never gave me anything for doing it. Still, I had first pick and took the best copies(though I don't know why, since I read them to death).

On 12/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, jpepx78 said:

Memories from Christmas Past

It’s been another challenging year for many people but I hope conditions will improve next year.

Hopefully these Christmas photos will bring back some joy and good memories of Christmas past.

1. Here’s a traditional Christmas card photo of kids reading a Pluto comic (FC 509) from 1953.

2. A couple of kids wearing their best Sunday clothes reading comics.
The boy is reading Christmas Parade 5 but I’m not sure what the girl is reading.

3. It’s been traditional to take photos of kids with their Christmas gifts and see their joy.
This kid is showing the books he got including some Gold Key comics and Supercar 2 from Christmas 1962.

Also note that people used to display all the Christmas cards they received.
Fewer people today send cards since there are alternatives like email, texting and other social media.

4. In the past when toys were reasonably priced, some kids got lots of presents.
As toy prices went up, some kids got fewer but more costly presents.
Looking back in the year 1966, see what a haul this kid got for Christmas.
See if you can spot the comic and how many of these toys do you recognize?
I had a smaller version of the Motorific slot car set as a present.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

xmas toys66.jpg

I had that Snow Cone maker or at least a similar version of it.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, jpepx78 said:

Memories from Christmas Past

xmas toys66.jpg

Torture Rack!  They weren't kidding around with toys back in the day. :eek:

On 12/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, adamstrange said:

Torture Rack!  They weren't kidding around with toys back in the day. :eek:

Me and my brother got a Torture Track set for Christmas. Fun toy. Slot cars kept everybody happy and occupied.

I think we had one of those Snow Cone makers as well, 

On 3/9/2022 at 8:51 PM, lhcomics said:

Most of us have seen these vintage comic rack pictures. The pictures came from July 1948 Newsdealer publication. I currently have a copy on eBay auction here

Not meaning this to be an advertisement to drive you to my auctions but this is fairly rare I believe and some of you may be looking for a copy.

145393512_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.d59e923c6670cec72e337e7c11708871.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.89817893c37318a0d2bb91d360fcc468.jpg

Boy, Timely definitely outnumbered other publishers as to the number of titles they published.  It looks like almost half of the comics on display are Timely titles.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:12 AM, MattHawes said:

Okay, it's been awhile since I've taken some time to identify the remainder of the covers to the 1945 photo of a comics and magazine display from Readmore bookstore in Evansville, Indiana (my home town), but I did merge the colorized version I made (using an app) with the "reconstructed" version I have been putting together (where I use scans found online of identified covers in color, then I resize, rotate, and warp to fit the position the same title has in the original black and white photo). The three photos uploaded in this post is the merged version, the reconstructed version where the magazines and comics yet to be identified are in black and white, and then there's the picture where I removed all the original elements from the black and white photo to show which covers I have reconstructed and added to the photo.

The colorization done with the app looks cool, but the app naturally relies on an algorithm to decipher what colors to use, and its mostly wrong, though it still looks cool. I still hope to get my reconstruction version as finished as close as possible, but that may actually be impossible. Some covers are really hard to make up, or only a fraction of the cover can be seen. Still, I have, with the assistance of some here and on other boards, been able to ID quite a number of the trickier covers, so anything's possible, I guess.

Awesome!  :applause:

On 6/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, woowoo said:

No photo description available.

The sad thing about this photo, if I am correct, is that I believe this is taken at a test site for the atom bomb in the 1950s, and this soldier and many others were there as basically "guinea pigs" to see how radiation effects humans. There's a video on Archive.org (and I'm guessing YouTube) where you see the soldiers crawling out from trenches after a bomb was detonated, and then walking towards the mushroom cloud.

Edited by MattHawes

I found the video I mentioned in my previous post:

Atomic Bomb Test

The guy is around the 1:22 mark. You see him very briefly in this upload, as the video acts up, but I saved the footage from the site years ago and the file I had didn't have the same video jump. Hm.

Edited by MattHawes

On 6/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, MattHawes said:

The sad thing about this photo, if I am correct, is that I believe this is taken at a test site for the atom bomb in the 1950s, and this soldier and many others were there as basically "guinea pigs" to see how radiation effects humans. There's a video on Archive.org (and I'm guessing YouTube) where you see the soldiers crawling out from trenches after a bomb was detonated, and then walking towards the mushroom cloud.

I thought it was Vince Carter from Gomer Pyle