1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
14 14

2,131 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I got a sweet deal when I was a kid. We bought most of our comics from a small mom and pop drugstore. I rode my bike past it each day on my bike to and from school. No metal racks or spinners. Comics were either displayed in wooden racks with slots or laid flat in stacks on the bottom.

I was a respectful kid and often cleaned up the mess other kids had made. The owner noticed and was a nice old guy. He offered me a deal. If I would stop buy after school and unpack and rack the comics each week, I could pick 5 of them as payment. So I had first pick and rarely missed an issue from that time on.

You wouldn't believe the comics I got to rack for him...:x

Oh, and he counted MAD Magazine as one book even though it was twice the cost of a regular comic. 

I used to do the same thing for a local Rite Aid, but they never gave me anything for doing it. Still, I had first pick and took the best copies(though I don't know why, since I read them to death).

On 12/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, jpepx78 said:

Memories from Christmas Past

It’s been another challenging year for many people but I hope conditions will improve next year.

Hopefully these Christmas photos will bring back some joy and good memories of Christmas past.

1. Here’s a traditional Christmas card photo of kids reading a Pluto comic (FC 509) from 1953.

2. A couple of kids wearing their best Sunday clothes reading comics.
The boy is reading Christmas Parade 5 but I’m not sure what the girl is reading.

3. It’s been traditional to take photos of kids with their Christmas gifts and see their joy.
This kid is showing the books he got including some Gold Key comics and Supercar 2 from Christmas 1962.

Also note that people used to display all the Christmas cards they received.
Fewer people today send cards since there are alternatives like email, texting and other social media.

4. In the past when toys were reasonably priced, some kids got lots of presents.
As toy prices went up, some kids got fewer but more costly presents.
Looking back in the year 1966, see what a haul this kid got for Christmas.
See if you can spot the comic and how many of these toys do you recognize?
I had a smaller version of the Motorific slot car set as a present.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

xmas toys66.jpg

I had that Snow Cone maker or at least a similar version of it.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, adamstrange said:

Torture Rack!  They weren't kidding around with toys back in the day. :eek:

Me and my brother got a Torture Track set for Christmas. Fun toy. Slot cars kept everybody happy and occupied.

I think we had one of those Snow Cone makers as well, 

Most of us have seen these vintage comic rack pictures. The pictures came from July 1948 Newsdealer publication. I currently have a copy on eBay auction here

Not meaning this to be an advertisement to drive you to my auctions but this is fairly rare I believe and some of you may be looking for a copy.

145393512_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.d59e923c6670cec72e337e7c11708871.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.89817893c37318a0d2bb91d360fcc468.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 8:51 PM, lhcomics said:

Most of us have seen these vintage comic rack pictures. The pictures came from July 1948 Newsdealer publication. I currently have a copy on eBay auction here

Not meaning this to be an advertisement to drive you to my auctions but this is fairly rare I believe and some of you may be looking for a copy.

145393512_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.d59e923c6670cec72e337e7c11708871.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.89817893c37318a0d2bb91d360fcc468.jpg

Boy, Timely definitely outnumbered other publishers as to the number of titles they published.  It looks like almost half of the comics on display are Timely titles.