• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

One of my collecting goals may or may not come true, we will see..I have a meeting with the son of a photographer who took photographs of neigboorhood homes and candy stores from 1921 to 1945[in bensonhurst brooklyn] He says he has photographs of neighborhood newsstands and candystores from the spring and summer of 1938.[dates marked on the back of photos] He says there are many magazines in the photos from that era that he has.He says he would prefer me to come to his home to view them as there are way to many to go over on the phone.I agreed. I will keep you guys posted..Im hoping for the holy grail of photographs on the newsstand.?

I neednt tell you the book right?

good luck - please post the pics ....regardless

One of my collecting goals may or may not come true, we will see..I have a meeting with the son of a photographer who took photographs of neigboorhood homes and candy stores from 1921 to 1945[in bensonhurst brooklyn] He says he has photographs of neighborhood newsstands and candystores from the spring and summer of 1938.[dates marked on the back of photos] He says there are many magazines in the photos from that era that he has.He says he would prefer me to come to his home to view them as there are way to many to go over on the phone.I agreed. I will keep you guys posted..Im hoping for the holy grail of photographs on the newsstand.?

I neednt tell you the book right?

Tip Top #27? Sweet!!!! :wishluck:

:jokealert:

On the wall:

World's Best Comics #1 (just above the Action Comics) 4/41

Champ Comics # 13 5/41

Weird Comics # 13 4/41

Green Hornet # 3 4/41

And I believe that Batman is #5 spring 41

There is even better resolution version of the later newsstand pic on that page..

high res pic

Zoom in on the comics in this high resolution picture. The whites on these books are whiter than anything else nearby. The Blue Beetle has semi-open pages but nothing is visible inside.

I really don't think these images match the depth of field in the rest of the picture.

I'm quite suspicious.

no they arent. check out the mirror reflection in the rear center. And anyway, nobody said the original pic couldnt be enhanced for clarity, contrast and sharpness. AGAIN WHY REPLACE THE COMICS???? Who benefits?? Just enjoy the images of a time gone by.

1947 - I don't know if this has been shown yet. You can actually see stuff in this picture (Modern Comics, Wilbur, Mutt & Jeff, etc)

pf008088.jpg

Haven't seen this one before. Very cool. (thumbs u

I found that http://www.thepulp.net/PulpHistory/pulprackphotos.html?photo=7 has closeups and there are a few comics in the upper left.

omaha3811b.jpg

Gotcha. Keener eyes you have my friend :headbang: Popular and Crackajack Funnies :applause: ... and probably a Funny Picture Stories to the left of those. (thumbs u

Edited by Scrooge

August 1958

2219028543_409e49c8be_o.jpg

Some at the bottom! (thumbs u

I just came by a copy of that Tales of the Unexpected & was looking at it just yesterday for the first time. The girl is beautiful. Great cover...

omaha3811b.jpg

Gotcha. Keener eyes you have my friend :headbang: Popular and Crackajack Funnies :applause: ... and probably a Funny Picture Stories to the left of those. (thumbs u

To the left of the Funny Picture Stories there is something (maybe Star Ranger Funnies 2/1?) an Adventure Comics, Comics on Parade (looks like #9), and a Keen Detective Funnies.

Edit - Popular Comics is #35.

Edited by Crowzilla