• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

I think this is the magazine behind "Love Novels"

The blurb place, font and empty space on right do seem to match.

Meanwhile, in the duh department, the magazine on the small standee in the front is simply Coronet. There is a crown on the standee … crown ---> coronet. Should have figured that one much sooner -

341218724_CoronetJuly1945.jpg.876368bc90c012e1a148a93370d9e9cf.jpg

BTW, I want to get your opinion on something, fellas...

The "Sexology" magazine in the photo I found a while back, but it was a weirdly cropped image. I matched the cropped, color picture with the title on the display without filling in the missing parts. I have been thinking of using Photoshop tools (basically just the brush tool) to colorize the missing parts, since most of the cover from the online pic is there. What do you think of that?

2 minutes ago, David Buck said:

Just one from me for today - Sir! Vol.2 # 12 - below Wink

Sir! Vol.2 #12 - September 1945.jpg

September 1945-- It must've just come in! Heh. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, most titles shown are from July-August of 1945, but the very latest magazines pictured are from September. So, I figure any of those mags were just put on the shelves when that photo was taken.

Historical fact: World War II officially ended on September 2, 1945, when Japan formerly signed papers surrendering to the Allies. It's also the day my mother was born, so I tease her that her birth ended the war. I wonder what was the actual date that the Readmore display photo was taken?

32 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

BTW, I want to get your opinion on something, fellas...

The "Sexology" magazine in the photo I found a while back, but it was a weirdly cropped image. I matched the cropped, color picture with the title on the display without filling in the missing parts. I have been thinking of using Photoshop tools (basically just the brush tool) to colorize the missing parts, since most of the cover from the online pic is there. What do you think of that?

I'd say go for it - you can always change it if another scan turns up and for some reason the color isn't uniform; by the way , now the 10 story love is in place it's evident that the small piece of cover in the corner is another copy of the Romance pulp in front 

16 minutes ago, David Buck said:

I'd say go for it - you can always change it if another scan turns up and for some reason the color isn't uniform; by the way , now the 10 story love is in place it's evident that the small piece of cover in the corner is another copy of the Romance pulp in front 

Ah! I see it, too, now. Thanks!!

2 hours ago, David Buck said:

The Last Visible Magazine on the right hand end of  the the music mags is the bottom right issue in the picture below

I always thought that the B E of Beat was a giant M! Great catch.

5 hours ago, MattHawes said:

now

If you don't mind, I'll put titles even if I don't have the correct month so there is documentation of what is where (if you don't have it).

To the right of Love Short Stories is an issue of Gay Love Stories. It's the August issue, not available at philsp - http://philsp.com/mags/gay_love_stories.html

Here's a sample of the logo - 

gay_love_stories_194506.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

18 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

If you don't mind, I'll put titles even if I don't have the correct month so there is documentation of what is where (if you don't have it).

To the right of Love Short Stories is an issue of Gay Love Stories. It's the August issue, not available at philsp - http://philsp.com/mags/gay_love_stories.html

Here's a sample of the logo - 

Having the logo does help figure out some placement. Magazines like the Love Book have been a real pisser of sorts, as I had found the correct title, but not the actual issue needed. Grrr!

5 hours ago, David Buck said:

The Last Visible Magazine on the right hand end of  the the music mags is the bottom right issue in the picture below

49653800_26033362.webp

I am glad the whole cover of the issue needed was exposed! Thanks!