• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books from a binder...please help me decide...

29 posts in this topic

I collect MLJ. A MLJ title I need more of is "Shield-Wizard" Comics. I know of a gentleman who has 8-13 that were in a binder (small holes and glue on the spine). However, three major points:

1. The books were never trimmed, and the spines aren't split.

2. The paper is still quite nice, and the books are still fully attached throughout.

3. The holes don't go through the artwork, except on the covers.

So...the books look to be in the F-VF range, except for the tiny holes that go completely through the book.

QUESTION: Considering he's priced them at Overstreet "GOOD"...which would you rather have? A real "GOOD" from accumulated defects/wear, or a book with the aforementioned defects?

I went ahead and bought one, but I can buy the rest of them. Not all of them are this nice; some has slightly more "outer" paper loss on the spine.

Speak to me people! And be honest

sw10.jpg

Considering he's priced them at Overstreet "GOOD"...which would you rather have? A real "GOOD" from accumulated defects/wear, or a book with the aforementioned defects?

I would take the books with the aformentioned defects. The structural integrity and page quality of a Good can be pretty low. These sound like they have much better structural integrity and page quality, and certainly are prettier than your run of the mill Good. The wear along the spine would probably be the least of the accumulated defects a REAL Good would display. So I say go for them, especially as you are seeking them to add to your collection rather than to resell.

At $95-$120 bucks an issue, and they're NOT trimmed, how can I go wrong?

You even has to ASK at that price???????? foreheadslap.gif

PS - thumbsup2.gif

I know but:

2.0-G

Shield-Wizard 8 $122.00

Shield-Wizard 9 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 10 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 11 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 12 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 13 $85.00

At $95-$120 bucks an issue, and they're NOT trimmed, how can I go wrong?

You even has to ASK at that price???????? foreheadslap.gif

PS - thumbsup2.gif

I know but:

2.0-G

Shield-Wizard 8 $122.00

Shield-Wizard 9 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 10 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 11 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 12 $85.00

Shield-Wizard 13 $85.00

I know but lay those books next to those 2.0's!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

I know buddy...but I always worry about having to resell them in the event I'd get laid off or something...you think the folks on EBAY would buy these at around $100 a pop? Of course I'd give 'em high res scans and such and note the defects...

I know buddy...but I always worry about having to resell them in the event I'd get laid off or something...you think the folks on EBAY would buy these at around $100 a pop? Of course I'd give 'em high res scans and such and note the defects...

I thin you would certainly be safe on that count.

QUESTION: Considering he's priced them at Overstreet "GOOD"...which would you rather have? A real "GOOD" from accumulated defects/wear, or a book with the aforementioned defects?

For what it's worth...I would take neither....I deplore defects like that on those books and I would rather wait for a VG or better book to come along...no matter the price (unless they were bargain basement prices)....JMO... thumbsup2.gif

Buy them. Solid Golden Age books at a low price are always a nice purchase. See if you can talk the guy down a little - there probably isn't a big demand for them, but those are nice prices. See if you can get the flat Good price if you buy all of them.