• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch, should I get CGC fees back?

129 posts in this topic

Bought a book raw off a local Ebay seller. Came back from CGC with slight professional color touch. He's tentatively agreed to refund the purchase price ~$2000, but not the CGC and postage fees to get it to CGC ~$125. I know that I should consider myself lucky to get a refund and chalk it up to experience. But don't you think I should get CGC fees too, even if, as he claims, he didn't know about the CT?

Share the community experience and advice folks.

Absolutely not.

Be happy you are getting the refund for the price of the book. I don't think the seller should be responsible for going "up and beyond" the original purchase price b/c it was YOUR decision to get it certified, not his. Therefore, YOUR risk-not his. If it is however stated in the auction that ALL fees associated with restoration/certification if not as advertised then I stand corrected (and a seller would have to be out of his mind).

Chalk up the CGC and shipping fees as costs of doing a hobby, and for purchasing a raw book sight unseen on eBay (scans can lie, sellers can lie through scans and sellers make honest mistakes). The seller is fulfilling his obligation--it's not his job to finance your hobby activities. Next time-buy certified or demand a restoration check before purchase if buying virtually.

If this was a local in person purchase scenario, then it all depends on what the seller's policy is and/or what was agreed to beforehand. Monday morning quarterbacking need not apply.

:foryou:

Note to self: This entitlement society is really getting to me.

Bought a book raw off a local Ebay seller. Came back from CGC with slight professional color touch. He's tentatively agreed to refund the purchase price ~$2000, but not the CGC and postage fees to get it to CGC ~$125. I know that I should consider myself lucky to get a refund and chalk it up to experience. But don't you think I should get CGC fees too, even if, as he claims, he didn't know about the CT?

Share the community experience and advice folks.

More info please.

Did you see the book in person? If not, did he sub the book for you? If he did then I could possibly see asking for more.

If you both missed the CT then I would say a full refund of purchase price is more then fair since he did not ask you to have it slabbed, that was your choice. Unless of course you brought up beforehand if the book came back plod you would be reimbursed for fees incured.

On the other hand ,what dealer is it, do you trust them and why was the book not slabbed to start with?

night

I'm with Sterling here. Getting the full refund is what you should expect. The CGC fees are similar to insurance or more accurately, the fee you pay for a home inspection, it's your responsibility, or a professional car check. Get the refund quick :wishluck:

Absolutely not.

Agree.

You choose to use the CGC service.

They found the restro for you so the $125 was well spent to get your $2000 back.

After the refund, will the seller get his book back? If so, will it be cracked out of the slab before returning?

that's what I was going to say.

I'd have the seller pay first then on video I would crack the slab

and send him/her the book and video of me cracking it.

Nobody rides for free MF!

nutkick.gif

Absolutely not.

Be happy you are getting the refund for the price of the book. I don't think the seller should be responsible for going "up and beyond" the original purchase price b/c it was YOUR decision to get it certified, not his. Therefore, YOUR risk-not his. If it is however stated in the auction that ALL fees associated with restoration/certification if not as advertised then I stand corrected (and a seller would have to be out of his mind).

Chalk up the CGC and shipping fees as costs of doing a hobby, and for purchasing a raw book sight unseen on eBay (scans can lie, sellers can lie through scans and sellers make honest mistakes). The seller is fulfilling his obligation--it's not his job to finance your hobby activities. Next time-buy certified or demand a restoration check before purchase if buying virtually.

If this was a local in person purchase scenario, then it all depends on what the seller's policy is and/or what was agreed to beforehand. Monday morning quarterbacking need not apply.

:foryou:

Exactly

I know it's a sick feeling to get back a PLOD when you don't expect it but I don't think the seller should reimburse the grading expense unless you had the agreement beforehand.

I do think it is proper especially on a book that price to ask the seller pre-purchase that you plan on slabbing and if it comes back drastically misrepresented (grade or restoration) that would like either all or at least half of the submission in refund also.

But again, this agreement should done pre-purchase. My 2c.

Unless the seller knew of the restoration, I don't see why they would pay for the CGC grading fees. A color touch is discoverable without sending to CGC, no? I would be very happy with the refund as the seller is stuck with the PLOD, not you, and that could be quite a hit.

Wasn't that the RATT song in Point Break?

you got a pretty good memory...

I didn't even remember that, but odd enough now I do

even though I haven't seen that flick in over a decade.

I never cared for RATT, but I loved that movie. :D

Wasn't that the RATT song in Point Break?

I was thinking a Jackson Browne song.....minus the MF.

The seller is fulfilling his obligation--it's not his job to finance your hobby activities. Next time-buy certified or demand a restoration check before purchase if buying virtually.

I understand this and raised the question here b/c it's my first time for this to happen. Frankly, I asked the seller beforehand if the book had any restoration or had been pressed. He said that it had not. I guess my only counter argument would be that if I had known there was resto, I would not have purchased and I would not have incurred the CGC costs.

I was thinking this was a well reasoned response until I got to this part. You may not have intended it this way but it sounds like you're being a and casting me as someone who wants something for nothing. In fact, you sound like someone bitter about having to pay someone's fees, for restoration that you missed or knew about in advance, when CGC found it. But I have no reason to doubt your sincerity in your comments so I wouldn't make a pissy little comment like that without knowing more about you. :foryou:

After the refund, will the seller get his book back? If so, will it be cracked out of the slab before returning?

that's what I was going to say.

I'd have the seller pay first then on video I would crack the slab

and send him/her the book and video of me cracking it.

nutkick.gif

Believe me. If he's not reimbursing for CGC, he's not getting a slabbed book in return. The video is a good idea.

And I used to like RATT. Haven't listened in years though.

I was thinking this was a well reasoned response until I got to this part.

I debated taking it out. It definitely wasn't directed at you but you happened to be in my sights when I pulled the trigger. These injustices boil up and then I have to vent. It just happened on your thread. My apologies if it offended, but I'm not sorry for posting it. I just see more and more folks thinking they are entitled to something they do not, and it struck a nerve with me...I must be off my meds. lol

It's a lose-lose for both of you even if he just refunds the book...unless you can prove he knew about the restoration ahead of time--at which time I would say stick it to him. Put the shoe on the other book--he's lost the value of a book AND he has to refund you. You are definitely seeing the better side of this failed transaction.

For what it's worth, I've given a full refund for CGC books even though there was no agreement up front...so I'm pro buyer--to a point. Sorry for your comic troubles. If the seller has a heart he will help you out, but I still don't think he is obligated. Two important distinctions here. At some point, where's your responsibility as a buyer if the seller just bails you out?

On the flip side, I'm not privy to the type of transaction and what was communicated, but outside of communication/agreement, the only other venue to recover fees would be if you can prove he was providing false advertising for the product or knew he was misleading.