• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reslabbing your CGC comics every 7 years

Did you know that your CGC comic should be reslabbed every 7 years so the microchamber paper can be replaced?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that your CGC comic should be reslabbed every 7 years so the microchamber paper can be replaced?

70 posts in this topic

Well, it's not as bad as Atlanta, GA where the humidity is so bad you can cut it with a knife. I have a digital readout in my storage room that helps to control environmental conditions. It's taken some time to get the required adjustments to meet my expectations, but it's about as much as I can do without buying a meat locker. (my house was about 10 years old and needed a new unit anyway).

Thanks for the clarification on the reholder situation.

Don't be so hard on yourself... you haven't "erred". You're simply a corporate shill. We've covered this ground before. 893frustrated.gif

Inferring that I may have been in error isn't "being hard on myself"...my ego isn't so big as to think I'm omnisciently all-knowing, but since you're the one forgiving me...I can understand how you may have thought I felt wounded.

What corporation do I work for again...or what's my vested interest in this corporation? I never figured that part out, but it has made for some meaningless libel from people protecting their ebay scams (Hammer) or their own egos (you).

Don't be so hard on yourself... you haven't "erred". You're simply a corporate shill. We've covered this ground before. 893frustrated.gif

Inferring that I may have been in error isn't "being hard on myself"...my ego isn't so big as to think I'm omnisciently all-knowing, but since you're the one forgiving me...I can understand how you may have thought I felt wounded.

Oh, FF... you're trying too hard here. And trying too hard and getting nothing from it is a foolish pursuit, is it not?

What corporation do I work for again...or what's my vested interest in this corporation? I never figured that part out, but it has made for some meaningless libel from people protecting their ebay scams (Hammer) or their own egos (you).

Why don't you tell US what your vested interest in the corporation is? You're the one who will go to ANY outlandish length to defend it. I've never had anything CGCed... I have no interest in the company whatsoever. How many books have you had slabbed?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As far as your attack on my ego is concerned, well, that sounds like a last gasp from a drowning man to me... Besides, if I weren't here to call you on your perpetual B.S., all we would have here would be a bunch of simpering CGC bootlickers. smirk.gif

And I've been wondering... why were you being tutored by Hammer in restoration methods? Looking for tips? Obviously it wasn't for restoration detection , what with the presence of a fine company like CGC...

And trying too hard and getting nothing from it is a foolish pursuit, is it not?

Yes, I agree...arguing with you definitely a worthless endeavor...I'll give up in a minute, once it's obvious to new readers what a troll you are.

Why don't you tell US what your vested interest in the corporation is? You're the one who will go to ANY outlandish length to defend it. I've never had anything CGCed... I have no interest in the company whatsoever. How many books have you had slabbed?

I've sent two books in, both for restoration checks. One got returned to clobberintime because it turned out restored. I've got a free submission letter from one of the trivia contests that's collecting dust, I keep meaning to use that...and it's interesting that you point out my defense of them and ignore my criticism. But that's what a troll does, I guess, fabricate ideas just to tick people off.

And I've been wondering... why were you being tutored by Hammer in restoration methods? Looking for tips? Obviously it wasn't for restoration detection , what with the presence of a fine company like CGC...

It was for restoration detection, and it wasn't just Hammer, I talk with several other pro restorers also. Dealers still sell vintage books raw, particularly in small market conventions or local comic shops, so detection is still useful. When I submitted to CGC it was for a second opinion because I wasn't absolutely sure.

I've sent two books in, both for restoration checks. One got returned to clobberintime because it turned out restored. I've got a free submission letter from one of the trivia contests that's collecting dust, I keep meaning to use that...and it's interesting that you point out my defense of them and ignore my criticism. But that's what a troll does, I guess, fabricate ideas just to tick people off.

What criticism?!?!?! Are you insane??

Your idea of "criticism" is 90% CGC-fluffing, 10% "I suppose it's possible that if a company were to want to... 893blahblah.gif "

Face it, you're not half the consumer advocate that you want to paint yourself to be. And give it up with the namecalling, already. Am I that far ahead of you?

Face it, you're not half the consumer advocate that you want to paint yourself to be.

Head up yer arse...WTF would I want to be a "consumer advocate" for? I'm here to learn, and stimulate others into helping me learn. If there was a comprehensive book already written on grading and restoration, I'd probably have under 500 posts.

Face it, you're not half the consumer advocate that you want to paint yourself to be.

Head up yer arse...WTF would I want to be a "consumer advocate" for? I'm here to learn, and stimulate others into helping me learn. If there was a comprehensive book already written on grading and restoration, I'd probably have under 500 posts.

I won't bother contesting your "willingness to learn"... I mean, who could refute such a claim? The evidence (your voluminous corpus of postings), however, indicates that you are nothing more than a mere CGC shill.

As far as your "comprehensive book" is concerned, could I direct you to the Overstreet Grading Guide? I would have thought you were familiar with it by now. (And from what I hear, OGG's grading standards aren't that different from CGC's... but we wouldn't know that for SURE, would we?)

As far as your "comprehensive book" is concerned, could I direct you to the Overstreet Grading Guide? I would have thought you were familiar with it by now. (And from what I hear, OGG's grading standards aren't that different from CGC's... but we wouldn't know that for SURE, would we?)

ooo.gifconfused.gif

Do you read any posts around here that don't have graemlins or insults in them? Doesn't look like it...or could it be you just like to argue? I can't believe I actually HELPED you turn an otherwise informative thread into your usual drek. You are truly useless to talk to...and now it's time to let this dialogue turn into a monologue. frown.gif

ooo.gifconfused.gif

Do you read any posts around here that don't have graemlins or insults in them? Doesn't look like it...or could it be you just like to argue? I can't believe I actually HELPED you turn an otherwise informative thread into your usual drek. You are truly useless to talk to...and now it's time to let this dialogue turn into a monologue. frown.gif

G'night, Shill! hi.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm just wondering why we have this micro paper in the comics? I know you say all the benfits is does in preserving it, but comics have survived this long with good care without this micro paper so far? We see plenty of high grades 30's-70's, they have survived thus far if looked after accordingly! Is this just a way to make more money by re-submitting? And for those of us that do not re-submit, does this mean our beautiful high grade books will deteriorate due to this? I think I would rather have no micro paper if this is the case, but I guess this guarantee's CGC extra pennies in 7years if there is a slump in comics being slabbed which there most probably will! Very crafty if you ask me sign-rantpost.gif

I'm just wondering why we have this micro paper in the comics? I know you say all the benfits is does in preserving it, but comics have survived this long with good care without this micro paper so far? We see plenty of high grades 30's-70's, they have survived thus far if looked after accordingly! Is this just a way to make more money by re-submitting? And for those of us that do not re-submit, does this mean our beautiful high grade books will deteriorate due to this? I think I would rather have no micro paper if this is the case, but I guess this guarantee's CGC extra pennies in 7years if there is a slump in comics being slabbed which there most probably will! Very crafty if you ask me sign-rantpost.gif

CGC (and NOT FF) should be doing the clarification with regards to the micro-chamber paper. CGC is charging for a service and those who are the consumers of their product should be made aware by CGC (prior to any transaction) what the effects of unchanged micro-chamber paper after 7 years could cause to comics. A person shouldn't have to go to the boards to get opinions from board members or the Ask CGC thread to find any of this information (it doesn't exist there anyhow). They should also state what position there CGC slabbed comics should be stored. Is it harmful to store a CGC comic on its side? Why won't they answer these simple questions?

CGC (and NOT FF) should be doing the clarification with regards to the micro-chamber paper. CGC is charging for a service and those who are the consumers of their product should be made aware by CGC (prior to any transaction) what the effects of unchanged micro-chamber paper after 7 years could cause to comics. A person shouldn't have to go to the boards to get opinions from board members or the Ask CGC thread to find any of this information (it doesn't exist there anyhow). They should also state what position there CGC slabbed comics should be stored. Is it harmful to store a CGC comic on its side? Why won't they answer these simple questions?

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif (Both of you!)

i wonder what they would say if you asked them not to put the micropaper in your comics when you got them slabbed? if i knew you had to get a new slab every 7 years i would not buy another cgc comic and it would be raw from then on out. im glad they just recommend you change it. juggle.gif

cant be too terribly bad, ive had books come back 9.8 ive stored on flimsy regular comic boards with nasty stains on the back from the book being up against them too long without replacement (though i wont be trusting fate with my books now).

Assuming you only have to pay the 11 dollar reholder fee, I don't think it's all that bad. Obviously nothing lasts forever. You have to change bags and boards every so often too. The annoyance is the fact that they might change the grade on you.

Brian

I always assumed that the micro-chamber paper was important because the CGC holder is close to airtight. That in addition to helping minimize the acidity buildup that occurs naturally, the micr-chamber paper was there because in a sealed environment like a CGC slab, the build-up occured much faster. If that's the case, it would be important to replace the micro-chamber paper regularly *because* it's in a comic that it's a slab, not *despite* the fact that the comic is in a slab...?

I always assumed that the micro-chamber paper was important because the CGC holder is close to airtight. That in addition to helping minimize the acidity buildup that occurs naturally, the micr-chamber paper was there because in a sealed environment like a CGC slab, the build-up occured much faster. If that's the case, it would be important to replace the micro-chamber paper regularly *because* it's in a comic that it's a slab, not *despite* the fact that the comic is in a slab...?

How do you figure it's close to airtight? Particularly on the "Annual"-size slabs... those things are loose as a goose!

How do you figure it's close to airtight? Particularly on the "Annual"-size slabs... those things are loose as a goose!

The response I got back from the Library of Congress about vacuum-sealing comics said that even "looser" storage containers are comparably as bad as airtight ones. Here's an excerpt from their response where they express this idea (click here to see the full text of the LoC response):

Encapsulation by itself can be actually harmful because it does not let the acids formed within paper diffuse away, but instead enhances their accumulation. In laboratory experiments carried out under elevated temperature and relative humidity conditions, under which these acids should diffuse more easily, even test papers placed inside L-sealed polyester envelopes (sealed along only two of the four edges) tended to age at a rate comparable to that obsrved for test papers aged within fully sealed envelopes. On the other hand, a backing of an alkaline matboard within a polyester film envelope or capsule, or inside a picture frame, has been shown to provide a more beneficial environment. The difference in the latter approach is that the alkaline backing can act as a sponge to soak up acids.