• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever bought from Mycomicshop.com?

19 posts in this topic

My LCS bought about £150 worth of Near Mint Transformers stuff from them for customers and to make up sets.

They were all banged on the top corners although the packaging was undamaged.

They were told to return them and would recieve $5 towards return postage and then would recieve a refund.

Return postage from the UK to USA was about £30 ($60) so the LCS never shopped with them again.

A few weeks ago I decided to give them a go myself so ordered 18 different Near Mint books. Again, packaging was perfect but 9 of the comics were damaged. Bent corners etc.

I have been offered $5 to send the books back (postage is $10) so I'm not bothering and wont be shopping there again.

I just got a package from them, packaged tight but little packaged materials. I can imagine that if someone had stepped on the box it would have hurt the books badly. Luckily it didn't happen. Grading is ok, nothing out of the ordinary on the moderns I got but at least they werent damaged (but I can see it happening with the minimal packaging.)

Bought one book from them graded (raw) at NM. Book was VF/NM at best.
That's usually what you can expect...they have MH kind of grading standards (NM and VF...nothing in between) although they tend to be closer to the advertised grade more than not as compared to MH. If you want good mid-grade books, they are a good candidate. If you are looking for accurate high graded books, go elsewhere.

That's usually what you can expect...they have MH kind of grading standards (NM and VF...nothing in between) although they tend to be closer to the advertised grade more than not as compared to MH. If you want good mid-grade books, they are a good candidate. If you are looking for accurate high graded books, go elsewhere.

Agreed. Their mid-grade grading seems to be pretty tight. High grade not so much...

Jim

agreed. Don't look to them for 9.6s and up.

Every NM or NM+ turns out to be like a 9.0-9.4 at best. And that includes recent moderns as soon as 05.

They're packaging, as someome stated earlier, is ok. Not bulletproof. Just pray that the mailman doesn't step on it.

In the past five years or so I've ordered hundreds of mid-grade books from them and have only had one problem, which was dealt with quickly, professionally, and very much in my favor. Packing always seems fine to me, but then again I've only ordered cheapie "readers" from them, so I wasn't too worried about damage. I also tend to order 25 - 50 books at a time, which have always been "bricked" together in big bags and sturdily boxed: the mailman could run it over with a forklift and it would still probably be okay.

I have traded at least $5k-$6k worth of books to them, and bought almost as much from them. I have really never had a problem with their packaging. I have had one package damaged out of hundreds (unfortunately it was a VF B&B 54, 1st Teen Titans :( ). They are probably one of my favorite web retailers because of their slick trading system.

Now, I have always found their grading to be a little inconsistent. It's fine on 80% of stuff, but off on the other 20% (usually off on the low side). On their old system, they used to just do FN, VF, NM, etc. and they didn't have a numerical system, or use in between grades. During that time, I would occasionally buy a VF book and get a VF+. That has seemed to go away in the past year or so now that they use a numerical system too.

I tend to think they are starting to overgrade, on Silver SA/BA key books. I've bought some 8.0's and 7.5's in the past 6 months, and I guess they have been close to grade. I can think of a couple that I put at .5 lower than what Lone Star graded them. I've now had four books I bought from them slabbed. All four books were bought as VF, and they came back from CGC as a 7.5, 8.0, 8.0, and 8.5.

I also think that when you still buy a book graded, NM, VF, etc. (not using a point system), you should always expect to get the lowest quality book that fits into that grade. For example, if you buy a NM book, expect a 9.2 or 9.4. I rarely ever get a copy that looks like a 9.6 or better, even on new books just released. A good example is a Thor #412 I just got from them. I guess technically it is NM, however, it has a severe miswrap with a good 1/8"-3/16" of the back cover is on the front, so it didn't thrill me.

They are fairly good about taking back returns. They accept all returns, but only refund return shipping if they agree that the books are misgraded. All refunds are also in store credit.

About a year ago, I got into it with them over an order where I returned 3/4 of the books for being misgraded (I thought the NM books were VF to VF+, most were heavily soiled and one even had a yellow highlighter mark on a white cover, which one person argued was part of the art). One of the books was also supposed to be a VF/NM Daredevil #131 (1st Bullseye). However, when I got the book, there was a rubber stamp of a star right over Bullseye's face on the cover. We went round and round over that book (actually, over return shipping, since a rubber stamp over Bullseye's face was an acceptable VF/NM defect according to them). I finally did get the refund, and now the owner personally checks all the orders that are shipped to me to make sure there are no misgraded items. Before he did this, I got 1-2 books per order that were misgraded (usually only books without individual scans). Now I get maybe 1 every 2-3 orders (so maybe 1 every 50 books).

All and all, I still continue to do business there, because I can return any book I don't like. The only problem is arguing over whether my return shipping is paid for or not. I have got some hard to find books from them, even though their prices aren't the best (more than a show, or E-Bay, but much less than places like Mile High). However, most of my purchases have been made with trade credit, which is usually always free money for me to spend there (I buy a bulk deal of comics, sell several until I make a profit, then use their trade system to unload the remainders I can't sell), so I never complain about the price. :)

Every NM or NM+ turns out to be like a 9.0-9.4 at best. And that includes recent moderns as soon as 05.

They're packaging, as someome stated earlier, is ok. Not bulletproof. Just pray that the mailman doesn't step on it.

EXACTLY if they had 9.6 don`t you think they have them slabbed and make a mint?

EXACTLY if they had 9.6 don`t you think they have them slabbed and make a mint?

That isn't their business model.

I've only bought one book from them and it was a FN+ 10 center

and I was very happy with it. I don't remember the packaging and

if a single comic makes it past Canada Post undamaged to my

place it must of been acceptable packaging.

After that purchase I e-mailed them about some of their prices

on earlier DC war and they were quite reasonable and lowered

the price on the two books I wanted. Before I could buy them

some other collector snapped them up. :mad:

'

I've traded with mycomicshop for multiple trades and here are some of my reasonings.

The comics you are buying are comics that they've purchased from other collectors. If you look at their buying system (which is excellent), they only have the grades NM, VF, FN, VG, GD, and FR.

This should alert you to what you should expect and what you will receive when you BUY from them.

I've only bought one book from them and it was a FN+ 10 center

and I was very happy with it. I don't remember the packaging and

if a single comic makes it past Canada Post undamaged my

place it must of been acceptable packaging.

After that purchase I e-mailed them about some of their prices

on earlier DC war and they were quite reasonable and lowered

the price on the two books I wanted. Before I could buy them

some other collector snapped them up. :mad:

I picked up a very rare 50's western from them a few years ago as a VG+.The packaging was adequate and the grading acceptable.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

'