• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman rarities
3 3

332 posts in this topic

Hi all, purely for interest, here's a selection of Miracleman rarities that I've unearthed over the last few years.... :)

Starting with Fantasy Express no.5 - unbelievably rare 1983 fanzine which predates Miracleman by two years. Unique "Alan Moore as Marvelman" cover by Alan Davis. What's more this copy is signed by Alan!

fantasyexpressalanmoore.jpg

Super-rare Italian Fanzine 'Elektra' - another Alan Davis cover based on the Ark no.20 strip

MMElektraItalianfanzine.jpg

Brazillian editions!!!

MMno3Brazil.jpg

MMno4Brazil.jpg

Original 1982 Warrior Badges

MMQualitybadges.jpg

more to follow....

Next we have....

Arken Sword no.11 - another Miracleman predate Alan Davis cover. This is very, very rare too.

135_3532.jpg

Spanish editions

MMSpanishEditions2.jpg

Another Brazil edition 'Jack Marvel'

MMno2Brazil.jpg

Ok the expression looks like he's constipated but beautiful paint-work don't you think?

MMCustomActionFigure1.jpg

Various collateral

134_3496.jpg

More to come...

And finally....

Speakeasy 51 - SUPER-RARE! Contains Alan Moore's guide to Miracleman.

137_3702.jpg

This next one is impossibly rare. Grant Morrison's fanzine 'Fusion' - I've never actually owned a copy of this. Issue No.4 has Grant's 17 page never-ever-seen Kid Miracleman story "The Devil and Johnny Bates" (where Bates discusses his life with a Catholic Priest)

Fusion2.jpg

Another rare zine....

135_3524.jpg

Finally, original Eclipse t-shirt...

MMt-shirt.jpg

:)

Great stuff! I've never seen those books before. The only hard to find MM I had was the Platinum Archive Edition of 23 (50 made).

I posted these elsewhere, but then remembered this thread and thought it would make a perfect addition to "Miracleman Rarities." It's Marvelman 25, his first appearance. Apparently, only two are known to exist. I just had it restored by the brilliant guys at Classics Incorporated, because the spine was taped. Haven't got it back yet, but they were kind enough to send before-and-after scans. Here they are:

a48b7a94.jpg

a582d645.jpg

0c3c11bd.jpg

7d0284ca.jpg

Hi, nice to see an old thread of mine ressurected. I've discovered quite a few more Miracleman rarities since 2008 (mostly fanzine work) but my focus recently has been on collecting the Len Miller Marvelman's and related - so your copy of no.25 is very interesting to me - and it looks great!

This was the copy sold on ebay last Autumn for about £350? I know it went to the USA. I didn't bid myself as I hadn't realised just how rare it is!

Ok, there are about 740 issues of Marvelman, Young Marvelman and Marvelman Family, the annuals and the magic paintbooks.

There is a chap, Derek Wilson, in the UK who has every issue apart from Marvelman no.26 (which did exist, but may not now - so seems to be a Gerber 10 or 11 equivalent now - it's also appears in Denis Gifford's 1974 British Comic Catalogue). Derek was the indexer for the recent Marvel series.

My experience: I've managed to acquire around 200 issues and half the annuals in just over a year (at significant expense!). I would say compared to collecting equivalent US comics from the 1950s and early 60s they are at least ten times rarer, with some issues probably surviving in numbers under 20 or even 10.

However, they do turn up from collections but early issues, particularly, pre no.50 are extremely rare.

Most grade VG/FN with some very, very low grade copies turning up quite often. There are also seveal issues that come from "warehouse finds" - e.g. Young Marvelman no.44 which I have a copy in genuine NM.

Anyway, no.25 is very rare yes. Probably less than 10 survive, I have noted around 5 different copies, yours included.

Here's some of my issues...

MarvelmanFamily1.jpg

Marvelman370.jpg

marvel.jpg

Hey there, Ewan!

I've been collecting the Len Miller's for several years now and can confirm pretty much everything you've said. Pre-100s are exceedingly rare. I picked up one copy of Marvelman 102 (first appearance of Kid Marvelman) but have never seen another. I've only seen one copy of Marvelman Family 1, which I got in much worse shape than yours is.

Also very rare, and kind of interesting to me, are the PRE-Marvelman issues. In the UK Cap. Marvel and Cap. Marvel Jr. issues published by Len Miller (19-24) of each run, Marvelman and Young Marvelman appear in TEXT pieces, introducing themselves to the readers. 23 and 24 of each actually have banners on the cover calling them "Marvelman" and "Young Marvelman," too.

You guessed right about the ebay auction. I will confess that I bid a lot more than the final price, for two reasons. One, after several years of scouring the world online and tracking down leads, I had a feeling it was more rare than people knew. Two, I realized the auction only showed up on ebay.co.uk. So American collectors would only see it if they clicked on the "international" results. So, I figured most of the big, big money collectors would never see it, which meant I had a shot!

I corresponded with Derek a little bit a few years ago about Marvelman. He told me that Marvelman 26 and one other issue (a much-later Young Marvelman, I forget the number) were the only two he didn't have. I also corresponded after the auction with the seller, who told me about my Marvelman 25's provenance. He bought it from a collector who had bought a batch of comics from Giffords' estate. My Marvelman 25 had been Giffords' copy! I think Giffords was not only an indexer, but might have contributed to the series--but I don't know that. Anyway, the guy I bought it from was a long-time collector who knew Derek and was part of the small UK-collector circles. He's the one who told me only these two copies were known to exist. My internet searches for images of the issue have only turned up these two. Derek's is pretty beat up and the one I now have is noteworthy for its (former) spine tape. I'm dying to know where the other 3 you mention are???

Oh, and for your comparison of rarity, the early issues of Marvelman are definitely far more than just 1/10th as rare as US equivalents. For one thing, I corresponded with another longtime UK collector a few years ago who told me the print runs were only about 5,000. For what that's worth...

Anyway, YOUR issues are just gorgeous, so congrats on them! The expense really has taken off, so I'm probably priced out at this point. Maybe I'll post some of those pre-Marvelman L. Millers at some point...

Hi, very interesting

Re no.25

I have a facsimilie of no.25 (see below) which I understand from an earlier correspondence with Derek was created in the early 1990s from Denis Gifford's copy and 5 were made (so rare in itself). As you can see this is NOT the same as yours - though it's quite possible Denis had 2 copies afterall. Interstingly, in addition, there's also a low grade copy pictured in Gifford's "Complete Catalogue of British Comics" (which could of course be Derek's)

So there would be at least 4 known...

1. Derek's

2. yours (Gifford 1)

3. the original of the facsimilie (Gifford 2?)

4. The Catalogue copy (Gifford 3?)

the facsimilie (with a facsimilie of no.83)

Aug10179.jpg

the catalogue copy

MM25Gifford.jpg

with full page of the book

img002.jpg

In terms of provenance, in Gifford's very rare earlier book "The British Comic Catalogue 1874-1974" he does indirectly note owning both Marvelman no.25 and the elusive no.26 which has a story entitled "Crime Detective". That's the only mention I've ever seen of it, but Derek said another collector (Steve Holland?) once saw a copy without it's back cover many years ago. So it does appear to have existed.

Young Marvelman no.25 is also extemely rare but a FN copy sold in the Compal auction in 2005 for £126.

My MF 1 cost just £150 - I'm very happy with it. At least I have 1 of the first editions!

I also have some of the pre 19-24 issues. Which seem more easy to find than MM issues.

Anyway, I think you're right 10x as rare is conservative, maybe a lot more than that - though I don't early print runs were only 5,000.

Here's a couple more of mine -

MM303.jpg

MarvelmanFamily7.jpg

Annuals1.jpg

img001.jpg

I have a facsimilie of no.25 (see below) which I understand from an earlier correspondence with Derek was created in the early 1990s from Denis Gifford's copy and 5 were made (so rare in itself). As you can see this is NOT the same as yours - though it's quite possible Denis had 2 copies afterall. Interstingly, in addition, there's also a low grade copy pictured in Gifford's "Complete Catalogue of British Comics" (which could of course be Derek's)

So there would be at least 4 known...

1. Derek's

2. yours (Gifford 1)

3. the original of the facsimilie (Gifford 2?)

4. The Catalogue copy (Gifford 3?)

Well, this is good info! I guess it's hard to know whether the facsimile original could have been the one I have now. Or whether Derek's is the catalogue copy. But when you factor in Mick Anglo, the Miller family, et. al., I'm sure you're right that there's got to be at least one or two more than just mine and Derek's.

the facsimilie (with a facsimilie of no.83)

Aug10179.jpg

the catalogue copy

MM25Gifford.jpg

with full page of the book

img002.jpg

In terms of provenance, in Gifford's very rare earlier book "The British Comic Catalogue 1874-1974" he does indirectly note owning both Marvelman no.25 and the elusive no.26 which has a story entitled "Crime Detective". That's the only mention I've ever seen of it, but Derek said another collector (Steve Holland?) once saw a copy without it's back cover many years ago. So it does appear to have existed.

You would think so, given all the buildup they did for it starting five weeks in advance. This is the first evidence I've seen, though, that anyone ever saw it. From what I gather, Gifford's comic books were not sold off in a very organized or responsible fashion. The Marvelman 25 I eventually won wasn't even sold as its own item, it was part of a make-good to round out a deal on other issues, according to the guy who sold it to me. So who knows, maybe that 26 is out there somewhere!

Young Marvelman no.25 is also extemely rare but a FN copy sold in the Compal auction in 2005 for £126.

I know! I found that one online only after the auction had closed! Missed by thatmuch!

My MF 1 cost just £150 - I'm very happy with it. At least I have 1 of the first editions!

Good deal. Mine was in nowhere near as good condition (I even wonder whether mine is the one in the catalog you showed!) but I'm still thrilled I got it.

I also have some of the pre 19-24 issues. Which seem more easy to find than MM issues.

Anyway, I think you're right 10x as rare is conservative, maybe a lot more than that - though I don't early print runs were only 5,000.

I'm not collecting the pre 19-24 issues, but I've certainly come across them in my search and your observation definitely matches my experience. No idea about the print runs, just passing on what the guy I talked to said. I don't think his source was anything super-authoritative. Bottom line, a handful of UK collectors already seem to have sussed out most of the sources of these books, which is why the Marvel acquisition doesn't seem to have brought too much worthwhile out of the woodwork and, as you say, the early pre-100s issues and Cap. 19-24 seem to be quite rare indeed!

Show me more rarities! How about some MM at War? I love the covers I've seen.

Here's my latest addition. En Italiano! This thing is huge, approx. 11''x15''.

I have no idea how rare this book is. Any facts on the Italian printings would be greatly appreciated.

2c%21hwE0E82d2uHBNOUkj%29%2BHg%7E%7E_12.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%21hwE0E82d2uHBNOUkj%29%2BHg%7E%7E_12.jpg'>

I have no idea how rare this book is. Any facts on the Italian printings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing you got it off ebay from a guy in Italy, right? I did, too. No idea how many he has, but I've never seen them anywhere but from him.

I'm guessing you got it off ebay from a guy in Italy, right? I did, too. No idea how many he has, but I've never seen them anywhere but from him.

Yes, I did. Very cheap from blackrain2004.

I'm arriving pretty late to this party, but this may be of interest.

I read Miracleman real-time in the 1980s. Had the entire series, #1-24, most (probably all) of the associated, Eclipse-published issues. But they had long been stored away, untouched for many years, and I didn't really think much about them. Coming across this forum recently, I've been amazed that 1980s material has seen some collecting revival, and the intensity of interest in Miracleman floored me.

So I dug out (probably) everything today, including this -- yes, original owner, bagged and boxed everything back in the day -- the 2D version of the Miracleman 3D issue (I've decided to obscure my copy's serial number for now):

Cover, indistinguishable from regular 3D:

MM3D2D_01.jpg

Page 1:

MM3D2D_02.jpg

cat yronwode's signature on an interior page:

MM3D2D_03.jpg

I handled it today, to take these pics, for the first time since probably 1990, maybe earlier.

It is not for sale today. It may be in the near future.

What now? Should I have it graded?

Edited by Chipmaker

the # or the sig on the inside cover will not make it qualified unless it affects the book... should come back blue label with a note about the sig on the inside cover.... if memory serves me right!.... nice book!

I'm arriving pretty late to this party, but this may be of interest.

I read Miracleman real-time in the 1980s. Had the entire series, #1-24, most (probably all) of the associated, Eclipse-published issues. But they had long been stored away, untouched for many years, and I didn't really think much about them. Coming across this forum recently, I've been amazed that 1980s material has seen some collecting revival, and the intensity of interest in Miracleman floored me.

So I dug out (probably) everything today, including this -- yes, original owner, bagged and boxed everything back in the day -- the 2D version of the Miracleman 3D issue (I've decided to obscure my copy's serial number for now):

Cover, indistinguishable from regular 3D:

MM3D2D_01.jpg

Page 1:

MM3D2D_02.jpg

cat yronwode's signature on an interior page:

MM3D2D_03.jpg

I handled it today, to take these pics, for the first time since probably 1990, maybe earlier.

It is not for sale today. It may be in the near future.

What now? Should I have it graded?

(thumbs u :takeit: