• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman rarities
3 3

332 posts in this topic

I need information about this comic, it was a freebie I got in a lot several years ago and I know nothing about it, except that it's a british Miracleman comic.

I looked all over the book and I didn't find a date, anybody know fron which year is this book?

I asked to a couple of british boardies and all of them told me I should ask to Ewan, the Marvelman master.

Miracleman339.jpg

Miracleman339bc.jpg

Yes, that is the Summer Special (a.k.a. Warrior #4) and the story was not reprinted in the Eclipse Miracleman comics.

Warrior Comics (Wikipedia)

WarriorIssue04Page13Extract.jpg

Where can I get this ? I want to read it.

Here you go (Marvelman is pages 4-13):

Warrior #4

I do have this issue but also downloaded a scan of it a while back.

If you want to buy Warrior #4 try searching ebay uk and, if you find one, ask the seller if they would post to where you are.

I need information about this comic, it was a freebie I got in a lot several years ago and I know nothing about it, except that it's a british Miracleman comic.

I looked all over the book and I didn't find a date, anybody know fron which year is this book?

I asked to a couple of british boardies and all of them told me I should ask to Ewan, the Marvelman master.

Miracleman339.jpg

Miracleman339bc.jpg

Hey ! I like "Ewan, the Marvelman Master" - can i have it for my title? :):blush:

This is Marvelman no.339 published by L Miller, probably 1962 or 1963 - I'd have to check my notes for the exact date. Out of interest, the previous issue, no.338, was the last issue edited by Mick Anglo. The title ended on issue no.370.

I have a copy but yours is in much, much nicer condition!

It'd probably sell from anything from £10 to £30 on ebay - depends if me and the other Marvelman collectors were on it. But great to get as a freebie!

Yes, that is the Summer Special (a.k.a. Warrior #4) and the story was not reprinted in the Eclipse Miracleman comics.

Warrior #4

If you want to buy Warrior #4 try searching ebay uk and, if you find one, ask the seller if they would post to where you are.

A very cool issue. Warrior no.4 is also the 1st appearance of Warpsmith, Aza Chorn (well technically the 2nd, as he's seen on the rear cover of no.3) and also the 1st appearance of the adult Kid Marvelman / Miracleman in costume - though Steve Dillon's version of it looks a bit strange I always think.

Dez also talks about Anglo's involvement in the re-launch in the letters pages...

I wish Warriors were more valued, but Dez still has piles of them in his loft so supply outstrips demand... However, it's tough to get REALLY high grade copies - 9.0 and above.

A colleague on these boards mentioned getting CGC to grade Warriors but apparently too big...

Me too Andrew.

Magazines around this time always had 'specials' that were bigger and more exciting and this was no different.

I was just slightly too young to get Warrior off the shelf, being 10 when it first came out! However, I did buy Miracleman no.1 as a 13 year old in August 1985 (from either a Leeds or Manchester comic mart). I was blown away - and it's still an obsession nearly 28 years later...

I also bought Swamp Thing no.34 about the same time. That explains a lot :sick:

Me too Andrew.

Magazines around this time always had 'specials' that were bigger and more exciting and this was no different.

I was just slightly too young to get Warrior off the shelf, being 10 when it first came out! However, I did buy Miracleman no.1 as a 13 year old in August 1985 (from either a Leeds or Manchester comic mart). I was blown away - and it's still an obsession nearly 28 years later...

I also bought Swamp Thing no.34 about the same time. That explains a lot :sick:

I was the same age too but my Dad collected them so I had that advantage.

I would love CGC or someone to slab a set of Warrior - would be easy to get the run in any grade.

Warrior #4

Thank you for info, I really appreciate it

ML.

Miracleman339.jpg

Miracleman339bc.jpg

Hey ! I like "Ewan, the Marvelman Master" - can i have it for my title? :):blush:

This is Marvelman no.339 published by L Miller, probably 1962 or 1963 - I'd have to check my notes for the exact date. Out of interest, the previous issue, no.338, was the last issue edited by Mick Anglo. The title ended on issue no.370.

I have a copy but yours is in much, much nicer condition!

It'd probably sell from anything from £10 to £30 on ebay - depends if me and the other Marvelman collectors were on it. But great to get as a freebie!

Thank you for the info. Very helpfull

Miracleman339.jpg

Miracleman339bc.jpg

Awesome cover!

And finally....

This next one is impossibly rare. Grant Morrison's fanzine 'Fusion' - I've never actually owned a copy of this. Issue No.4 has Grant's 17 page never-ever-seen Kid Miracleman story "The Devil and Johnny Bates" (where Bates discusses his life with a Catholic Priest)

Fusion2.jpg

I have come across a few sites that state that Morrison's story was not in this book, one of which is quoted below:

"Though Morrison's Kid Marvelman -script was long rumoured to have seen publication in issue #4 of Hugh Campbell's Fusion fanzine, It turns out that 'The Devil and Johnny Bates' from that issue was actually an in-depth character study of Kid Marvelman by one Jim Clements. Clements, a legendary figure whose published output amounts to one 6-page Future Shock in 2000 A.D. Prog 713, was cited by Morrison in the 15th Anniversary Arkham Asylum introduction as a big influence in his formative years. Morrison goes on to say that essentially he wrote the book entirely to impress him."

https://sites.google.com/site/deepspacetransmissions/universe-b/uk

However, since I don't have this book, I can not state for sure that this is actually so.

Eddie

And finally....

This next one is impossibly rare. Grant Morrison's fanzine 'Fusion' - I've never actually owned a copy of this. Issue No.4 has Grant's 17 page never-ever-seen Kid Miracleman story "The Devil and Johnny Bates" (where Bates discusses his life with a Catholic Priest)

Fusion2.jpg

I have come across a few sites that state that Morrison's story was not in this book, one of which is quoted below:

"Though Morrison's Kid Marvelman -script was long rumoured to have seen publication in issue #4 of Hugh Campbell's Fusion fanzine, It turns out that 'The Devil and Johnny Bates' from that issue was actually an in-depth character study of Kid Marvelman by one Jim Clements. Clements, a legendary figure whose published output amounts to one 6-page Future Shock in 2000 A.D. Prog 713, was cited by Morrison in the 15th Anniversary Arkham Asylum introduction as a big influence in his formative years. Morrison goes on to say that essentially he wrote the book entirely to impress him."

https://sites.google.com/site/deepspacetransmissions/universe-b/uk

However, since I don't have this book, I can not state for sure that this is actually so.

Eddie

It is so. I began the Morrison rumour as a genuine misunderstanding / blatant fabrication. Fusion no.4 has the Clements piece on KM. However, what's not generally known is that Grant Morrison DREW the Kid Miracleman cover to no.4 and also the Miracleman cover to Fusion no.6.

I have never owned an original of either Fusion no.4 or no.6 but have copies of them both. Fusion no.6 was on ebay twice last year, 1 copy sold for £1.00, then second for £316!!!

Anyway, MM fans, here's a fun quiz to test you

1. Which issue of Miracleman has a Popeye cameo?

2. How many Warpsmiths are named?

3. What issue did Eclipse Extra run to?

4. When did the name "Marvelman" 1st see print?

5. When did the name "Miracleman" 1st see print?

6. Who owns the name "Miracleman"?

hm

hm

Love a good quiz but its still early for me.

1. Not sure but I would say one of Gaiman's Golden Age issues?

2. Four I think.

3 ?

4. 1954

5. 1985

6. Well Marvel do. I think TMc has finally given up his cliam.

7. I have lost hope for Gaiman finishing his story. :cry:

hm

Love a good quiz but its still early for me.

1. Not sure but I would say one of Gaiman's Golden Age issues?

2. Four I think.

3 ?

4. 1954

5. 1985

6. Well Marvel do. I think TMc has finally given up his cliam.

7. I have lost hope for Gaiman finishing his story. :cry: