• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman rarities
3 3

332 posts in this topic

I am lucky enough to own a copy of Miracleman #1 UK variant below: it's not mega-rare by any means with Dez Skinn stating 1,000-2,000 copies were printed (compared to the US variant which had a print run of somewhere around 135,000). In fact I have actually owned quite a few of these UK variants over the years but it is was always very difficult to get hold of in high grade, with best being around VF+ and almost all of them come with the printer's defect seen on the "Gold" and "Blue" signed copies that are purported to have come from some of the initial batches printed for the US variant. I got lucky though and managed to get hold of one that was graded 9.6 (now sold on) and this one.

So the rarity here is a combination of it being the much harder to find UK variant and the top grade (only one more is registered at 9.8 so it is joint highest with only 6 on the census, compared to 572 of the US variant):

Miracleman1UKvariantBack.jpg

Miracleman1UKvariantFront.jpg

I'm guessing it should be worth at least £300/$500, not that I'm planning to sell any time soon, although I do have to pay for the holiday and Christmas :)

I am lucky enough to own a copy of Miracleman #1 UK variant below: it's not mega-rare by any means with Dez Skinn stating 1,000-2,000 copies were printed (compared to the US variant which had a print run of somewhere around 135,000). In fact I have actually owned quite a few of these UK variants over the years but it is was always very difficult to get hold of in high grade, with best being around VF+ and almost all of them come with the printer's defect seen on the "Gold" and "Blue" signed copies that are purported to have come from some of the initial batches printed for the US variant. I got lucky though and managed to get hold of one that was graded 9.6 (now sold on) and this one.

So the rarity here is a combination of it being the much harder to find UK variant and the top grade (only one more is registered at 9.8 so it is joint highest with only 6 on the census, compared to 572 of the US variant):

Miracleman1UKvariantBack.jpg

Miracleman1UKvariantFront.jpg

I'm guessing it should be worth at least £300/$500, not that I'm planning to sell any time soon, although I do have to pay for the holiday and Christmas :)

I'd say that estimate is on the low side - it's a very rare book in the US and most raw copies you see have either rusted staples or are beat to hell. It's brutally tough in 9.8 :thumbsup:

Thanks, I was thinking the same in terms of value as I guess there are a few on the boards that might be interested (including yourself?). It would be a hard one to let go though as it took a lot of effort to find one in this condition (I still have a few left in VF+ range bought in the past trying to get that elusive 9.6/9.8 - ebay pictures are never perfect and you can't always obtain hi-res scans from sellers). I've had it for over a year now and also got an Eclipse Extra #44 9.8 at the same time which is also pretty cool.

Hi all, purely for interest, here's a selection of Miracleman rarities that I've unearthed over the last few years.... :)

Starting with Fantasy Express no.5 - unbelievably rare 1983 fanzine which predates Miracleman by two years. Unique "Alan Moore as Marvelman" cover by Alan Davis. What's more this copy is signed by Alan!

fantasyexpressalanmoore.jpg

Super-rare Italian Fanzine 'Elektra' - another Alan Davis cover based on the Ark no.20 strip

MMElektraItalianfanzine.jpg

Brazillian editions!!!

MMno3Brazil.jpg

MMno4Brazil.jpg

Original 1982 Warrior Badges

MMQualitybadges.jpg

more to follow....

Warrior had a button of the iconic Watchmen Happy Face in 1982?

Trade for 9.6 and $200 us? lol

Always open to offers...maybe if you also throw in an additional $200, your "special" commission sketched Miracleman #9, another $200, your life-sized Superman and one of your Canadian lumber jackets I think we would be getting close to a deal.

:)

MMQualitybadges.jpg

more to follow....

That's definitely a Watchmen badge from much later. Here's the badges from the back of Warrior #12:

WarriorBadges.jpg

Trade for 9.6 and $200 us? lol

Always open to offers...maybe if you also throw in an additional $200, your "special" commission sketched Miracleman #9, another $200, your life-sized Superman and one of your Canadian lumber jackets I think we would be getting close to a deal.

:)

That *spoon* sketch is not leaving my house

Thanks, I was thinking the same in terms of value as I guess there are a few on the boards that might be interested (including yourself?). It would be a hard one to let go though as it took a lot of effort to find one in this condition (I still have a few left in VF+ range bought in the past trying to get that elusive 9.6/9.8 - ebay pictures are never perfect and you can't always obtain hi-res scans from sellers). I've had it for over a year now and also got an Eclipse Extra #44 9.8 at the same time which is also pretty cool.

I have a copy myself :blush:

miracleman-1-uk-cgc-9.8-copya-f.jpg

Apart from the Miracleman 3D non-3D variant, this was by far the hardest book to track down for my MM set.

Hi all, purely for interest, here's a selection of Miracleman rarities that I've unearthed over the last few years.... :)

Starting with Fantasy Express no.5 - unbelievably rare 1983 fanzine which predates Miracleman by two years. Unique "Alan Moore as Marvelman" cover by Alan Davis. What's more this copy is signed by Alan!

Super-rare Italian Fanzine 'Elektra' - another Alan Davis cover based on the Ark no.20 strip

Brazillian editions!!!

MMno3Brazil.jpg

MMno4Brazil.jpg

MMQualitybadges.jpg

more to follow....

No sorry, the Watchmen one was the later badge from 1986 (though is still pretty rare). That photo was actually pulled from ebay many years back.

Collecting Warriors badges is extremely SLOW - I have managed just 8 in 10 years as follows...

Miracleman Logo badge

Young Miracleman Logo badge

Kid Miracleman Logo badge

Kimota! Logo badge

Warpsmith badge (x2)

Pressbutton badge

& (Badge R)

Both Watchmen and V for Vendetta have so many rip-offs, copies and modern versions that finding originals is next to impossible. Have had 2 or 3 Watchmen but never a V one.

Dez told me they were manufactured in their 1000s though... assume most got disposed of

Origina Titan / Forbidden Planet 2000ADs badges are also tough to find...

It's an interesting diversion...

p.s. loving the MM 1 UK 9.8s very nice

I still have my double-cover no.1, unfortunately not a UK version...

Apart from the Miracleman 3D non-3D variant, this was by far the hardest book to track down for my MM set.

Really nice book....so we know where the top 3 books are now and they're in three different countries!

Really nice book....so we know where the top 3 books are now and they're in three different countries!

Well, I decided to sell mine and it's off to a new home across the Atlantic. :cry:

Looks like the book has been added as a separate entry in the registry and your copy has put you back at the top of the registry set again ^^

But....only 80 points same as the US variant :mad:

Show me more rarities! How about some MM at War? I love the covers I've seen.

Here's my latest addition. En Italiano! This thing is huge, approx. 11''x15''.

I have no idea how rare this book is. Any facts on the Italian printings would be greatly appreciated.

2c%21hwE0E82d2uHBNOUkj%29%2BHg%7E%7E_12.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%21hwE0E82d2uHBNOUkj%29%2BHg%7E%7E_12.jpg'>

I am not seeing the photograph of this "Italian edition"... Is it the Super Comics No.19 that you are referring to?

Brazillian editions!!!

MMno3Brazil.jpg

MMno4Brazil.jpg

MMQualitybadges.jpg

more to follow....

No sorry, the Watchmen one was the later badge from 1986 (though is still pretty rare). That photo was actually pulled from ebay many years back.

Collecting Warriors badges is extremely SLOW - I have managed just 8 in 10 years as follows...

Miracleman Logo badge

Young Miracleman Logo badge

Kid Miracleman Logo badge

Kimota! Logo badge

Warpsmith badge (x2)

Pressbutton badge

& (Badge R)

Both Watchmen and V for Vendetta have so many rip-offs, copies and modern versions that finding originals is next to impossible. Have had 2 or 3 Watchmen but never a V one.

Dez told me they were manufactured in their 1000s though... assume most got disposed of

Origina Titan / Forbidden Planet 2000ADs badges are also tough to find...

It's an interesting diversion...

p.s. loving the MM 1 UK 9.8s very nice

I still have my double-cover no.1, unfortunately not a UK version...

I REALLY want to add an Elektra Magazine No.2 by Tornado Press to my collection...

I have no idea how rare this book is. Any facts on the Italian printings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing you got it off ebay from a guy in Italy, right? I did, too. No idea how many he has, but I've never seen them anywhere but from him.

Yes, I did. Very cheap from blackrain2004.

Hi, I know this thread is pretty old, but what Italian edition are you referencing? Is it the Super Comics No.19 ?

I'm guessing you got it off ebay from a guy in Italy, right? I did, too. No idea how many he has, but I've never seen them anywhere but from him.

Yes, I did. Very cheap from blackrain2004.

Hi, I know this thread is pretty old, but what Italian edition are you referencing? Is it the Super Comics No.19 ?

Hi again

yes Super Comics no.19 & no.20 1992 from "Max Bunker Press" - it reprints Book 1 in a really nice format, in Italian of course

Elektra 2 is an Italian fanzine - I've only ever seen 2 copies, the front cover art is a detail from Arken Sword 17/18 "Devilswrack" - the only Miracleman strip published outside of Eclipse / Marvel

Portions of the Eclipse run were published in varying formats in France, Spain, Italy, Portugal and Brazil

There is supposed to a German reprint too but I have never seen it