• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman rarities
3 3

332 posts in this topic

Why is Miracle man 15 so expensive?

(1) Rarest Alan Moore Issue (although not as rare as many once thought)

(2) Super art and legendary cover art (cover art worth at least $50,000, probably a lot more now)

(3) Epic and uber violent conclusion to the Olympus storyline (the world changes significantly in the aftermath in #16). Shows many horrors inflicted by the "violent and sadistic sociopath" Kid Miracleman on the citizens of London.

(4) Kid Miracleman fatally injured by Aza Chorn with a rock warped into his brain (he is frozen in time, milliseconds from death, after he switched back to Johnny Bates).

(5) Death of the Warpsmith Aza Chorn, killed by Kid Miracleman.

(6) Death of Johnny Bates, killed by Miracleman.

Lots going for it so is a sought after issue.

Miracleman15CoverArt.jpg

(2) Super art and legendary cover art (cover art worth at least $50,000, probably a lot more now)

It sold for $53K at Heritage in 2010.

Just think....anyone could have bought this for $600 from John in 1999 from his website.

:insane:

Because it wasn't heavily ordered, had the lowest print run of the original Moore issues (though some of the Gaiman issues have lower numbers) and a good chunk were destroyed, along with a lot of other Eclipse back stock, in the 1993 Guerneville flood.

That was the original reason why it gained notoriety...it was just too damn hard to find (I never, ever found one in the wild in the 90's, ever, and I bought a ton of MM. I found every issue except that one...and you'd think, living in Northern California, these books wouldn't be so hard to find.)

When eBay got rolling in the late 90's, people with these books started throwing them up on eBay....and all of a sudden, people were paying $50, $60, $100 for complete runs...because they were missing #15. That's when the realization really started about how tough this book was to find.

Then, it gained notoriety for being the Kid MM rampage issue.

It's maintained that value, basically, throughout the previous nearly 20 years, which is saying something for an 80's independent book.

And, of course, the art is par excellence.

Ok, looking for advice here. I had these signed through Rich Henn: on one of them the sharpie was a little dry and the first signature was not great so Garry Leach signed it again :) and also wrote "Kimota!" on the comic! Both came back cgc 9.8 s/s :whee:.

Miracleman1UKcgc9.8x2.jpg

I'm looking to fund our vacation/holiday this year so will likely sell one soon and also include a 9.4 raw copy as well (I will sell on the boards as I know there are a number of dedicated MM collectors here).

My first dilemma is which one to keep? I also have the dilemma of how much to offer the other one for but I guess that's really a problem for me to resolve hm

I decided to sell the first one, along with a raw copy as well :)

Miracleman #1 UK Variant CGC 9.8 s/s Garry Leach

Because it wasn't heavily ordered, had the lowest print run of the original Moore issues (though some of the Gaiman issues have lower numbers) and a good chunk were destroyed, along with a lot of other Eclipse back stock, in the 1993 Guerneville flood.

That was the original reason why it gained notoriety...it was just too damn hard to find (I never, ever found one in the wild in the 90's, ever, and I bought a ton of MM. I found every issue except that one...and you'd think, living in Northern California, these books wouldn't be so hard to find.)

When eBay got rolling in the late 90's, people with these books started throwing them up on eBay....and all of a sudden, people were paying $50, $60, $100 for complete runs...because they were missing #15. That's when the realization really started about how tough this book was to find.

Then, it gained notoriety for being the Kid MM rampage issue.

It's maintained that value, basically, throughout the previous nearly 20 years, which is saying something for an 80's independent book.

And, of course, the art is par excellence.

I found one, sold it too cheap and regretted it. It was a really good run with 14 and 15 being the pinnacle imo.

ok...I need some help folks...a customer brought these into the store to sell...but I have no clue on value...any help is appreciated...

thanks

rick

image_zpsmckgc8bc.jpg

Hi Rick

The 3 Marvelman's date from late 50s / early 60s and would probably fetch between $20-$50 on ebay, depending on grade. Very early issues of the long run would be much higher.

The "Miracle Man" issues are nothing to do with Marvelman / Miracleman but are a complete differently character (of German origin I believe?). However, they are still collectible, $10-$40 range perhaps.

how's the Miracleman artifact edition...

did anyone get it?

I got my copy of the Artifact Edition the week it came out, and it is truly a thing of beauty.

It's an oversized book, about 15 x 20 inches, so it reproduces at full size the twice-up pages drawn by Garry Leach, Alan Davis and John Ridgway. The book's cover features John Totleben's artwork to the cover of Miracleman #14, framed in the MM colours of blue, red and gold, and the opening endpapers of the book are a breathtaking illustration by Totleben of Miracleman and Winter, one composed of hundreds of tiny little dots rather than a series of brushstrokes.

The book is an Artifact Edition, so that means that there aren't complete stories within; only the pages that could be tracked down are included. The number of pages by Garry Leach that could be found don't fully represent his massive contribution to the early days of the Marvelman revival, but I'm still glad that they were included. For his interior pages, there are three from "And Johnny Comes Marching Home..." along with two from the Warpsmith story in Warrior #10. Also included are two of Leach's covers for Warrior, #2 and #10. (There is also a nice selection of Leach's artwork in the Gallery section at the back of the book, showcasing early colour designs and layouts, as well as the cover to the first Eclipse TPB and his gorgeous variant cover to Marvel's MM #16.)

There's a larger selection of Alan Davis' work, 19 pages in total, including several splash pages: the first shot of the Zarathustra project, Gargunza's arrival at the crashed Qys ship, and the opening and closing splashes of "And Every Dog Its Day...". The pages are beautiful, and it made me wish all over again that Davis could have continued with the series, even for a little while, when it relaunched under Eclipse (although I'm well aware of the reasons why that didn't happen).

I was also very pleased to see a few pages from John Ridgway's contribution to the series, "The Red King Syndrome", as well as two of Mick Austin's amazing covers for Warrior. Facing each other, Austin's covers make for a very impressive two-page spread.

There are no Chuck Beckum pages in the book.

Rick Veitch's two issues of Miracleman are well-represented by 18 pages of original art, including ten pages from the "controversial" birth issue. With that many pages in sequence, it's very easy to "read" almost the entire two issues in original art form. (Note that Veitch's art was done at the modern size of about 11x16, and Totleben's pages were about 12x17, so these sections of the book have a larger surrounding margin of white space around them, but even that extra space serves to present the pages nicely.)

And for me, the star of this book is John Totleben, despite the illustrious company he keeps. His section contains sixty interior pages, six covers (but not #15) and a house ad, and the Gallery section at the back contains some of his pencil preliminaries, alternate cover designs, and a couple of commissions from about twelve years ago that were used as covers by Marvel for their reprints earlier this year. Totleben's pages are beautiful, nightmarish and haunting, and it's wonderful to have such a large selection of his original art collected here, showcasing the title's transition from science fiction into horror.

I own quite a few Artist/Artifact Editions, but this Miracleman book is easily my favourite. Collecting a huge array of pages from the series' electrifying beginning in Warrior to that final, wonder-filled view from the top of Olympus, the Miracleman Artifact Edition is a true objet d'art.

Edited by K-Mace

Thanks! It was my pleasure. I'd wanted to write something that did this incredible book justice.

These Artist's Editions can be pricey, but I do believe that they offer great value. With the Miracleman Artifact Edition, after looking at only the cover and opening endpaper illustration of MM and Winter I kind of thought that I'd already gotten my money's worth. IMO, the designer(s) of this book ought to be nominated for an Eisner Award next year.

Hopefully in another year or two we'll be discussing a Mark Buckingham Miracleman Artist's Edition...!

Original 1982 Warrior Badges

MMQualitybadges.jpg

i managed to pick up a watchmen badge and a dredd badge recently...

thanks again Ewan for for all the info (thumbs u

ura20.jpg

ura2s.jpg

im still hunting for a Miracleman warrior badge

very cool

both look like the originals

Is the Dredd a gold plate FP one?

The main one I'm after is the ORIGINAL V for Vendetta badge

thanks to your sound advice I was able to determine that the watchmen badge is indeed an original

uskxa.jpg

the dredd badge i know nothing about. It's a sharp looking badge on the front with a crude back

usl0w.jpg

i picked up both badges for $12 and change (thumbs u

Back to MM rarities, here's also something you'll likely never have seen before

An original 1950s Marvelman fan-club badge - BUT still attached to the original club card !!!

This was on ebay on a BIN and unfortunately (for me) somebody else won it

probably the only surviving copy

mm%20badge%202_zpsaz001hwu.jpg

mm%20badge%202%202_zpscu4yd6jx.jpg