• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1

342 posts in this topic

Let me get this straight, you sent $4,000 to a guy that joined the boards in March? And no one at least vouched for him?.......

It wasn't the smartest move, but he gets it and he's probably beating himself up mercilessly about it as we speak. No need to rub it in.

you forget, I'm an a ss

I didn't forget.

(thumbs u

yes, we didn't forget :baiting:

knowing where he works, having Zaid on your side, having the Postmaster there to witness the theft, and to validate that a slab would weigh more than a non slab comic, would lead me to believe that while this might be a PITA to resolve, you will recoup (thumbs u

Are you :censored:ing kidding me. You just got ripped up for $4k and and you calmly post on this board.

I would get in my car and drive right to his place of work, I would make sure he would have $8k worth of medical bills and feel real good about losing $4k :sumo:

I cannot tolerate thieves what so ever, period. I would turn that guy into a mushy grape even if it means jail time.

Are you :censored:ing kidding me. You just got ripped up for $4k and and you calmly post on this board.

I would get in my car and drive right to his place of work, I would make sure he would have $8k worth of medical bills and feel real good about losing $4k :sumo:

I cannot tolerate thieves what so ever, period. I would turn that guy into a mushy grape even if it means jail time.

:o

Yea, I didnt want to say that. But I would at least break his jaw and cheekbone, both very easy to shatter.. But hey, some people are just very calm. Plus if you are building a case, it would only hurt to say these things.

Not that I approve of violence.

Nik, a guy on E-Bay failed to deliver on a $100 purchase I made awhile back. Would you please take him out, too? :wishluck: Thanks!

I can break his pinky if you want :D

Nik the Geek Enforcer. :sumo:

fixed that for ya lol

Careful, or I will add you to my list :sumo:

VtComics:

I'm currently engaged in recovering about $13k for a friend of a board member (on a comic deal) and we are in the process of receiving payments now.

The bottom line on all this is that this isn't just a debt collection that should be pursued through the civil system, but also the criminal system. What he did is theft. I'm betting the state that he resides in classifies this amount of theft as a felony (here in PA it would be a third degree felony). I can also tell you that the detectives, even in a city as large as Philadelphia, will track down this defendant especially when you provide a name, address, have evidence etc.

I've used this now successfully a number of times. I contact the detectives in the local jurisdiction early, explain the situation, find out what the process is to file a complaint and take a contact name.

Next step is to give a fair warning to get the debt repaid otherwise we know we are correct in filing and that there was an intent to deceive and to steal.

Then it's game over because you are either going to get justice or your money back. The police will treat these cases seriously if you have good documentation and come prepared. Thus far I'm five for five in recovery. I think Zaid is batting a pretty high average as well on more cases. Don't sit there and take it... you can get your money back.

VtComics:

I'm currently engaged in recovering about $13k for a friend of a board member (on a comic deal) and we are in the process of receiving payments now.

The bottom line on all this is that this isn't just a debt collection that should be pursued through the civil system, but also the criminal system. What he did is theft. I'm betting the state that he resides in classifies this amount of theft as a felony (here in PA it would be a third degree felony). I can also tell you that the detectives, even in a city as large as Philadelphia, will track down this defendant especially when you provide a name, address, have evidence etc.

I've used this now successfully a number of times. I contact the detectives in the local jurisdiction early, explain the situation, find out what the process is to file a complaint and take a contact name.

Next step is to give a fair warning to get the debt repaid otherwise we know we are correct in filing and that there was an intent to deceive and to steal.

Then it's game over because you are either going to get justice or your money back. The police will treat these cases seriously if you have good documentation and come prepared. Thus far I'm five for five in recovery. I think Zaid is batting a pretty high average as well on more cases. Don't sit there and take it... you can get your money back.

Brian, it's nice to know that there are nice people like you and Mark out there :applause:

Phil, I wish you the best of luck...I won't offer to break any legs, but I am really sorry that you are going through this, I know you had some tough times recently I hope things start to work out better immediately.

He is, and for anyone who doesn't know it already, Brian is about the most helpful, stand-up guy on these boards...and pretty much anywhere else, for that matter. (worship) (worship) (worship)

VtComics:

Exactly, as great as it sounds to break legs, fingers, ect. that only works in the movies, and tends to get you thrown in jail rather than the offending party. (let's face it, none of us are as lucky as Mel Gibson in Payback)

Once most people realize that they can go to the butt hut for this type of thing, they repay the money, and if they don't you can always send them to jail and make them pay restitution too. We had some teens break into our house a few years ago, steal some stuff, and damage some stuff. Once they were caught, when it came to trial time, we informed the judge that the insurance company did not pay us for everything, so they had to pay a couple thousand in restitution. It took a few years, and the checks slowly trickled in from the state as they worked it off, but it was eventually paid off. So they served time, it went on their record, and we got our money back, who could ask for more (thumbs u

Really sorry to see this happen. :(

I did try to warn people in two different threads when I realized this was a previously banned member (lastyle7). And Flaming_Telepath and Doctor Watson posted warnings here in this thread.

I hope you are able to recover your money, Phil. :wishluck:

He is, and for anyone who doesn't know it already, Brian is about the most helpful, stand-up guy on these boards...and pretty much anywhere else, for that matter. (worship) (worship) (worship)

Thanks for the kind words Nick... let's hope the recovery continues to go as planned. It's usually a long road to get this kind of change recovered. $1k down, $12k more to go.

VtComics:

Exactly, as great as it sounds to break legs, fingers, ect. that only works in the movies, and tends to get you thrown in jail rather than the offending party. (let's face it, none of us are as lucky as Mel Gibson in Payback)

Once most people realize that they can go to the butt hut for this type of thing, they repay the money, and if they don't you can always send them to jail and make them pay restitution too. We had some teens break into our house a few years ago, steal some stuff, and damage some stuff. Once they were caught, when it came to trial time, we informed the judge that the insurance company did not pay us for everything, so they had to pay a couple thousand in restitution. It took a few years, and the checks slowly trickled in from the state as they worked it off, but it was eventually paid off. So they served time, it went on their record, and we got our money back, who could ask for more (thumbs u

That's right. And my experience here is that probation really leans very heavily on defendants who don't pay back the restitution. In the case of teenagers, there's the added incentive that this is never going away until it gets repaid, and frankly, if they've got half a brain, they want to get past it so they try and repay the money.

At the end of the day though, criminal action is serious and permanent. Some dealers complain that the reality is, the police don't do much when books get stolen at conventions, but it has more to do with the fact that there's no where for them to start (they have the same attitude on car thefts in Philadelphia). But when you provide them a road map, they're happy to take the complaint and run with it.