• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Year Anniversary on the Boards!

28 posts in this topic

I haven't sucuumbed to the "Xth Post" thread (yet), but I did notice that last week was my 1 year anniversary as a member! :acclaim: I was talking a buddy of mine who's also a member and continually razzes me for my ever-increasing post count. We were just talking about how much our collections have changed in the past year as a result of joining this place. Some of the things were (in no order of importance):

--While I used to be a relatively conservative grader, I now have a better understanding of WHY certain defects affect grade the way they do. I also think I'm continuing to get a better idea of the different areas to be aware of when grading a book. Of course, I still have LOTS to learn especially when it comes to restoration detection.

--My collecting goals are far more refined as I see more of what is out there. While I still aim to pick up various keys and 1st appearances, I've found that I'm becoming more selective about what I add to the collection. Perhaps it's the number of stories we've all read of how people are "down-sizing" their collections to regain focus that has lead me to be more particular about what goes in than when I first started?

--I now have a legitimate shot at completing my collecting goals. While the selection of LCSs and the smaller shows in the New England are far more plentiful than while I was stationed in KS, the vast number of books in various conditions makes the job a lot easier.

--Grails are starting to crop up in my collection. While I do collect lower grade books on the whole (minus Copper Age which are generally high to uber-high grade), I have noticed a significant up-swing in the number of legitimate grails I've added to my collection. Whether they are a direct purchase such as my ASM #1 ( :banana: ) from Black00SS or indirect such as Fay's recommendation to try out Ted's Superworld for my Giant-Size X-Men #1 ( :luhv: ), I am starting to amass a collection of books I am very proud to own.

--I've started expanding my comic collecting into other related areas such as signatures and original art. Although these are newer (and smaller) aspects of my collection, I am finding new avenues to further enjoy my hobby--ones that I wouldn't have encountered without seeing them here.

--I also believe I have a better understanding of the market: where to shop and how much certain types of books sell for. While a year hasn't made me an expert by any means (in ANY of these subject areas!), I do feel like I have a much better idea of what I should be paying and where I should be buying.

--Lastly, while there have been a few bumps in the road now and then, I enjoyed getting to meet a lot of fantastic people here. I won't name names as I'd forget someone, but you all know who you are ;)

Great place, great fun, and I'm looking forward to another great year on the boards!

Still waiting to hear back from them although they said they probably would let me know sometime this week. Interestingly, since I notified my current employer that I was "keeping my options opened," they're putting together a new contract offer for me. So, might end up working out quite nicely after all! :grin:

Still waiting to hear back from them although they said they probably would let me know sometime this week. Interestingly, since I notified my current employer that I was "keeping my options opened," they're putting together a new contract offer for me. So, might end up working out quite nicely after all! :grin:

(thumbs u on the anniversary and :banana: on the job opportunities.

Better contract = quicker acquisition of grails. :grin: