• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Pedigree

11 posts in this topic

The finder told me he bought it in Vancouver...I don't think he lives in Vancouver himself, I forget where though.
His shop is in Vancouver so he must live close by! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe the seller lives a few blocks away from me in the suburbs of Vancouver. Would u like me to knock on his door? hi.gif

It's up to you...I'm going by what he told me via e-mail in response to these exact questions:

• QUESTION: What city and state did the original owner live in? ANSWER: This collection was founded, presented and aquired in Vancouver, B.C. Canada
  • QUESTION: How did the original owner meet the original buyers? ANSWER: I found out about the estate sale while doing other unrelated business in the same area.

I think I assumed from that second response that he wasn't from Vancouver himself, but looking at it again, he could have just meant he's from one area in Vancouver and he stumbled across the estate in another area of Vancouver. Or, since his web site says the company has two locations, one in Vancouver and one in Surrey, maybe he lives in Surrey. I dunno, but he was clear on the point that the collection came from Vancouver.

When doing my GA key issue stats, I noticed that the Vancouver

collection actually has a substantial number (I counted at least 30)

of pre-1950 #1s (see other thread). I thought it was remarkable that

all of these are of marginal interest - seems like some cherry picking

might have been going on at some point. In comparison, the Denver

collection is reported to have had 151 #1s and many of these are

high caliber keys.

I thought it was remarkable that all of these are of marginal interest - seems like some cherry picking might have been going on at some point.

If you mean cherry-picking by other buyers, Chris Bell indicated he was certain he bought the only copies. The original owner collected books more than comics, which is what Chris went to go look at. He said there were 7500 books there, and while looking them over, he noticed a box full of newspapers, coloring books, and comics that he didn't know was going to be there, with the comics interleaved between newspapers of the same time period.