• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,464 posts in this topic

#1 is historically significant and the most important issue by a longshot...and #2 is just #2. Dollar for dollar, I will take #1 all day, every day.

No one is saying WD #2 is more important that #1, but tougher to find....hell yea.

I am more impressed seeing a WD #2 in CGC 9.8 than #1.

#1 isn't that tough to find if you need a HG copy. (shrug)

There are 500 fewer copies of #2. That's 7% less than #1...hardly a significant difference. There are a lot more CGC copies of #1 because it's a much more desirable issue. Scarcity alone does not make a book valuable or desirable. Last time i checked, there isn't a "Show Us Your WD #2" thread.

#1 is historically significant and the most important issue by a longshot...and #2 is just #2. Dollar for dollar, I will take #1 all day, every day.

No one is saying WD #2 is more important that #1, but tougher to find....hell yea.

There are 500 fewer copies of #2. That's 7% less than #1...hardly a significant difference. There are a lot more CGC copies of #1 because it's a much more desirable issue. Scarcity alone does not make a book valuable or desirable. Last time i checked, there isn't a "Show Us Your WD #2" thread.

Umm not sure about that 500 number. From what can heard and read they printed a lot less than just a 500 difference.

Like I said WD #1 is obviously the best book of the series, but finding a 9.8 copy of #2 is a lot harder with that black back cover.

WD #1 grade easily in HG most of the time it is just dumb arse dealers at comic book shows charging CGC 9.8 money when the book is not even graded.

Walking Dead #1 is the most important book of the modern age in terms of new characters appearances and importance. That being said the book is not tough to find past, present, or future in HG. WD issues two years from now across the board will be down 25-35% from their current values. It is just to obvious to choose the ladder on this. Modern books always sell for stupid money when they are hot then cool down to sometimes half of that value done the road.

Heck just look at WD #19 GPA data....the book is falling like crazy already. I should now I sold 3 of them in 9.8 just last week. Book in 9.8 will barely be over $400.00 by summers end, and the first couple were selling at $800.00, so that is already down 50%. The book in 2011 was only trading at $150.00 in CGC 9.8....who didn't see this sheep bubble popping. :eyeroll:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Umm not sure about that 500 number. From what can heard and read they printed a lot less than just a 500 difference.

Like I said WD #1 is obviously the best book of the series, but finding a 9.8 copy of #2 is a lot harder with that black back cover.

WD #1 grade easily in HG most of the time it is just dumb arse dealers at comic book shows charging CGC 9.8 money when the book is not even graded.

Walking Dead #1 is the most important book of the modern age in terms of new characters appearances and importance. That being said the book is not tough to find past, present, or future in HG. WD issues two years from now across the board will be down 25-35% from their current values. It is just to obvious to choose the ladder on this. Modern books always sell for stupid money when they are hot then cool down to sometimes half of that value done the road.

Heck just look at WD #19 GPA data....the book is falling like crazy already. I should now I sold 3 of them in 9.8 just last week. Book in 9.8 will barely be over $400.00 by summers end, and the first couple were selling at $800.00, so that is already down 50%. The book in 2011 was only trading at $150.00 in CGC 9.8....who didn't see this sheep bubble popping. :eyeroll:

You're missing the big picture on #1. Availability in HG is irrelavant when the book is just plain scarce, period. There's a reason that 9.8s dont trade for crazy multiples of 9.4/9.6 on this book and even mid grade copies sell for hundreds - 50,000 people want a copy, but only 7K can have one.

I agree on the other 'keys'. 19s should have been sold already and 27s should be sold when the gov shows up on AMC.However, #1 is the biggest key since TMNT1 and may back off in the short term, but will continue to climb in the long run.

Jeez, this variant thing is really getting out of hand.

I just saw the 13th cover -- the one that you can only get if you buy an air purifier at BED BATH & BEYOND. Like I'm going to buy a $300 Blue Air purifier just to get that one.

def am seeing an easing on the prices of WD #19 and #27's both raw and CGCed.

I just wonder when the #1 will break. Last sale of the 9.8 was $1500.00.

Can this book keep going up? hm

WD #2 still have less 9.8's than 9.6. :cool:

WD #2. :takeit:

WD#1. zzz

There are now 950 copies of Walking Dead #1 that have been CGC graded. Over 600 in 9.6 or better.

A whopping in 10 CGC 9.9.......which take that for what it is there.

I really can't see this book peaking any higher going forward as there are just too many copies out there. Soon this sheep like hysteria will come to an end.

To use the most extreme of examples, Action Comics #2 is scarcer than Action Comics #1.

Action Comics #2 CGC 5.0 - $54,372 (heritage 2/22/12)

Action Comics #1 CGC 3.0 - $298,750 (heritage 2/22/12)

I could cite 20 more examples. No one gives a about second issues or second appearances and, to be honest, WD #2 is already too close to #1 in price.

Walking Dead #2 CGC 9.8 - $820 (bin 6/11/12)

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 - $1500 (the most recent bin, although they've been hanging closer to $1300 recently)

Like I said, I might hold off on buying either at this moment, but I certainly wouldn't be investing in 2s.

You're missing the big picture on #1. Availability in HG is irrelavant when the book is just plain scarce, period. There's a reason that 9.8s dont trade for crazy multiples of 9.4/9.6 on this book and even mid grade copies sell for hundreds - 50,000 people want a copy, but only 7K can have one.

I agree on the other 'keys'. 19s should have been sold already and 27s should be sold when the gov shows up on AMC.However, #1 is the biggest key since TMNT1 and may back off in the short term, but will continue to climb in the long run.

50,000 people do not want the book.

Scarce and 7k is not synonymous with one another.

I respectably disagree with the book rising once the shows ends.

The book will level off and will be trading stably forever.

def am seeing an easing on the prices of WD #19 and #27's both raw and CGCed.

I just wonder when the #1 will break. Last sale of the 9.8 was $1500.00.

Can this book keep going up? hm

WD #2 still have less 9.8's than 9.6. :cool:

WD#1. zzz

There are now 950 copies of Walking Dead #1 that have been CGC graded. Over 600 in 9.6 or better.

A whopping in 10 CGC 9.9.......which take that for what it is there.

I really can't see this book peaking any higher going forward as there are just too many copies out there. Soon this sheep like hysteria will come to an end.

To use the most extreme of examples, Action Comics #2 is scarcer than Action Comics #1.

Action Comics #2 CGC 5.0 - $54,372 (heritage 2/22/12)

Action Comics #1 CGC 3.0 - $298,750 (heritage 2/22/12)

I could cite 20 more examples. No one gives a about second issues or second appearances and, to be honest, WD #2 is already too close to #1 in price.

Walking Dead #2 CGC 9.8 - $820 (bin 6/11/12)

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 - $1500 (the most recent bin, although they've been hanging closer to $1300 recently)

Like I said, I might hold off on buying either at this moment, but I certainly wouldn't be investing in 2s.

Who said anything about which book is worth more?

I obviously said which is harder to find.

Nobody should be investing in any WD books. (shrug)

50,000 people do not want the book.

Scarce and 7k is not synonymous with one another.

I respectably disagree with the book rising once the shows ends.

The book will level off and will be trading stably forever.

7K is not scarce for a variant. However, it's scarce as hell for the first issue of a regular off-the-rack issue of a now-mainstream title with a monthly circulation of 55K.

And that's just the floppy. Do you know how many TPBs The Walking Dead sold last month? Approximately 47K. That's a gross 102K WD books sold last month alone.

The readership has been around 30K for quite some time now and with issue 99 it will likely double that number. The number of #1s extant remains steady at 7K.

WD#1. zzz

It's not particularly obvious what you're saying in the original post other than #2 is full of awesomeness in all ways and number #1 bores you to sleep.

People buying TPB's vs CGC graded book is also opposite.

I mean they are 10 CGC 9.9's for crying out loud.

There is more than enough supply for this book for years to come.

No one again is debating how great this series or issues are, but 100% they will not be trading any higher in the future then they are currently at.

Big difference between regular characters with no powers except killing zombies vs Silver age superheroes.

WD#1. zzz

It's not particularly obvious what you're saying in the original post other than #2 is full of awesomeness in all ways and number #1 bores you to sleep.

Correct. :gossip:

1's are easy to find at every show and ebay 24/7 in HG.

Like I said how does my post imply #2 would ever be worth more than #1.

Just more enthusiastic to see #2 than #1.

People buying TPB's vs CGC graded book is also opposite.

I mean they are 10 CGC 9.9's for crying out loud.

There is more than enough supply for this book for years to come.

No one again is debating how great this series or issues are, but 100% they will not be trading any higher in the future then they are currently at.

Big difference between regular characters with no powers except killing zombies vs Silver age superheroes.

I'm not talking about CGC books or specific buyers. I'm talking about a 7K print run vs. the massive imprint this property across all media is making on pop culture.

100% CGC 9.8 #1s will trade at 2K or more within the next 5 years :P

100% CGC 9.8 #1s will trade at 2K or more within the next 5 years :P

I have the book at $800.00 tops, and even then I think I am being too over zealous.

But it is definitely fun to debate about. (thumbs u

WD#1. zzz

Correct. :gossip:

1's are easy to find at every show and ebay 24/7 in HG.

Like I said how does my post imply #2 would ever be worth more than #1.

Just more enthusiastic to see #2 than #1.

You preface your comparison of 1 and 2 by discussing the value of #1, and asking if it can keep going up in value, right get all mushy about #2. It's either about money or its not - you can't have it both ways.

Also, re-read my post - I'm saying #2 is overpriced when compared to #1. That has nothing to do with which is worth more.

I gotta go to sleep. /nerdfight