• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

The market is weird. At tonight’s Heritage auction, a Black Label #1 CGC 9.8 sells for $4,560 which is the second highest sale recorded for a #1, but a CGC 9.8 #2 second print only sells for $1200. That is higher than the last sale by less than $100 but quite a bit less than it had in the past - dating back to 2017 where the lowest sale was $800.

Considering the crazy prices we’ve seen this past year in the comic market, you’d think it would have been closer to the higher end of its historic sales. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/26/2021 at 10:34 PM, awakeintheashes said:

The market is weird. At tonight’s Heritage auction, a Black Label #1 CGC 9.8 sells for $4,560 which is the second highest sale recorded for a #1, but a CGC 9.8 #2 second print only sells for $1200. That is higher than the last sale by less than $100 but quite a bit less than it had in the past - dating back to 2017 where the lowest sale was $800.

Considering the crazy prices we’ve seen this past year in the comic market, you’d think it would have been closer to the higher end of its historic sales. 

Yeah I am having trouble figuring this market out, though it is definitely not at record highs anymore and for some reason someone seriously overpaid with Heritage (perhaps investors?).

I'm sort of a geek watching all these TWD 1 9.8 auctions on eBay, CC, CL and Heritage.  TWD has trended lower until yesterday.  Over the past couple of months, TWD 1 9.8 was holding about $2,900-$3,100 (with a black doing best at $3,250).  In recent weeks, the auction sales have all drifted down to $2,600 to $2,700.  Interestingly, these were all White label books.  However yesterday, we had 3 sales of Black Label books that went back above $3K.  eBay at $3,200; CL at $3,228 and Heritage at a whopping $4,560.   I'm shocked Heritage would command a 42% premium for the exact same books easily available elsewhere.  This is the highest sale I have seen except for a lone $4,900 on Comic Connect last March.   The next highest TWD 1 Heritage sale was $3,300 in May, 2014.

OK, more than you wanted but it's great to see TWD 1 firmly above $3K again.  And for those of us with Black labels it's even better news 😎.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, BladeTX said:

OK, more than you wanted but it's great to see TWD 1 firmly above $3K again.  And for those of us with Black labels it's even better news 😎.

Definitely great news for those with #1s. Just kind head scratching on the 2nd print #2 since it’s quite a rare book, especially in 9.8. But, if it is simply investors, then I guess that does make sense. They don’t tend to get into the weeds on books outside of #1s or key firsts. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:28 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Definitely great news for those with #1s. Just kind head scratching on the 2nd print #2 since it’s quite a rare book, especially in 9.8. But, if it is simply investors, then I guess that does make sense. They don’t tend to get into the weeds on books outside of #1s or key firsts. 

Oh I agree that investors would only be looking at Keys and not #2/2nd.  Demand for that book is going to be iffy.  Most collectors are going to want the 1st print.  When I purchased mine I had no interest in a 2nd print.  So it's really die hard TWD variant collectors or those who just don't care who will be attracted to that book.  Either way, a smaller buyer audience than the 1st print.  That said, TWD 2 being the lowest print run of any regular issue so it will continue to be important.

On 8/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, BladeTX said:

Oh I agree that investors would only be looking at Keys and not #2/2nd.  Demand for that book is going to be iffy.  Most collectors are going to want the 1st print.  When I purchased mine I had no interest in a 2nd print.  So it's really die hard TWD variant collectors or those who just don't care who will be attracted to that book.  Either way, a smaller buyer audience than the 1st print.  That said, TWD 2 being the lowest print run of any regular issue so it will continue to be important.

Agree. I’ve always kinda wanted to grab a 2 2nd print, so if prices stay softish on that book I’ll hopefully grab one. I’ve been hoping the #1 price would continue soften and grab one. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:25 AM, Parabellum said:

Some pickups from HA and eBay.  I was a little shocked on the #2 second print as well.  I was the buyer for the previous copy on eBay.  I agree that most mainstream collectors won’t care about that book.  But I do have somewhat of an obsession with follow on prints.  I’ve got 3 copies of 2 second print (9.8, 9.4 SS and a NM raw copy).  I also managed to grab a 116 third print for $1500 (taxes and shipping).  That was the last book I needed to complete a full run of all printings.

4DC9EAD2-00D3-4CF2-89BD-1C704FC491D7.jpeg

758D5B9C-0ECD-4980-9D6C-FDF6C2935841.jpeg

0C2F8CA8-9C4B-4698-BC34-3E16581D0094.jpeg

Are you in the Registry?

On 8/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Parabellum said:

Yes, but I’m waaaaay down there on The Walking Dead registry, #28 in ranking.  Overall I’m doing ok though.

lol I had to go take a look! :) that's some fun! ;) 

what's funny is there will be more! ^^  Lord willing 

On 8/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Parabellum said:

Yes, but I’m waaaaay down there on The Walking Dead registry, #28 in ranking.  Overall I’m doing ok though.

Well you were one ahead of me 😂

image.png.17a04c99cf0b85b7370a76867cdb2151.png

But then I saw one of my books was removed somehow so I added it back and now I'm 24th.   But I won't be moving up much - my TWD set goal is nearly complete.  I'm doing a lot better in the 1-48.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:09 PM, BladeTX said:

Well you were one ahead of me 😂

image.png.17a04c99cf0b85b7370a76867cdb2151.png

But then I saw one of my books was removed somehow so I added it back and now I'm 24th.   But I won't be moving up much - my TWD set goal is nearly complete.  I'm doing a lot better in the 1-48.

I’m in the same boat.  There are only a couple more 9.8’s that I’m hunting for; #7 second print and #35 error.  I’ll probably go for a #1 black mature label at some point.  Was even considering trading my ASM 129 9.0 and Hulk 181 9.0 for a Walking Dead 1 in 9.9 if someone was willing.  Who knows…..

On 8/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, Parabellum said:

I’m in the same boat.  There are only a couple more 9.8’s that I’m hunting for; #7 second print and #35 error.  I’ll probably go for a #1 black mature label at some point.  Was even considering trading my ASM 129 9.0 and Hulk 181 9.0 for a Walking Dead 1 in 9.9 if someone was willing.  Who knows…..

It's interesting you mentioned Walking Dead 1 9.9. @Sensei Ryan and I did a bunch of research to locate most of the issues (cert numbers and label colors).  I tried to post last night but the Boards were glitching again.  I'll be sure to tag you.  Bottom line is it will be unlikely to impossible to land a Black 9.9.  You'll see why.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, BladeTX said:

It's interesting you mentioned Walking Dead 1 9.9. @Sensei Ryan and I did a bunch of research to locate most of the issues (cert numbers and label colors).  I tried to post last night but the Boards were glitching again.  I'll be sure to tag you.  Bottom line is it will be unlikely to impossible to land a Black 9.9.  You'll see why.

I figure hunting for a 9.9 I can’t be too picky 🤣.  I would grab a black label as well.

I found this GEM when searching for an answer to the Black vs. White Label debate on how many.    This guy researched extensively and found about 10% of the total graded books.  He statistically forecasts (95% confidence interval) that there are 13% to 23% Black label books.  So it is quite a bit harder to get and still has that allure of being the "first" TWD 1.  After the first few pages, it devolves into an argument over prices of these books so only go that deep for the pure entertainment of it.  Good job @Sensei Ryan kicking some butt in 2015 😂
Walking Dead #1 Black Label vs. White Label thread

On 9/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, BladeTX said:

I found this GEM when searching for an answer to the Black vs. White Label debate on how many.    This guy researched extensively and found about 10% of the total graded books.  He statistically forecasts (95% confidence interval) that there are 13% to 23% Black label books.  So it is quite a bit harder to get and still has that allure of being the "first" TWD 1.  After the first few pages, it devolves into an argument over prices of these books so only go that deep for the pure entertainment of it.  Good job @Sensei Ryan kicking some butt in 2015 😂
Walking Dead #1 Black Label vs. White Label thread

For those of you that are not familiar with Black vs. White, it's the initial error of the Mature Readers designation, where it was either supposed to be White, or someone didn't like the Black and decided to change the print run midway with the White:

Edit: Located a source with an RK quote.  It was supposed to be white.  The way the printing process works is white goes down before black.  So there was white under the black, and the black went on top.  RK liked the white better so authorized the change when the printer notified him.  Since the books were sent to different regions, it took quite some time for anyone to notice.
image.png.5eaf6e2442d8daeb3bd6c97d05ea4980.png

Edited by BladeTX
Edited to remove the Photobucket watermark. I hate that!

On 9/4/2021 at 12:07 AM, Parabellum said:

I wonder if there is any info on the print runs of the early second prints (2, 7, 8, 33, 34).

This is interesting.  I wasn't sure if I could find anything.  I hit the Comicchron database and found this.  It's from Feb, 2004 when TWD 2 2nd Print was released.  TWD 4 was late... so could this be the volume for 2nd Print?

image.thumb.png.0c083305c047d9162e58c4fbab052534.png