• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 or 10 Best Scandals in Comic History?

59 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was just on Sports Illustrated dot com, and they had a TOP 30 of the best Baseballl scandales of all time, so I wanted to have some fun and see if we as collectors can come up with a similar list.

Can we get a discussion of a TOP 5 or 10 List of what you think could be the best comic book scandales of all time?

Let us know!!

:popcorn:

(If you can give a brief description by each scandal)

How about...

2. The theft of Nic Cage's Action #1 and Tec #27 hm

3. How that POS Action #1 got CGC-certified 2.5! doh!

4. The rape of Jay Parino (lost $10MM+ on comics, movie posters, etc)

5. How Chuck Rozanski discovered the Mile High collection but struggles financially today

6. Heritage's (alleged) "Press for profit" enterprise

(I have a two more, but stil working out the movie rights!) lol

GE

Not really a scandal...Jay just OVERSPENT, on the hunch some major money was moving into comics (ie. OUT of coins, stocks, antiques, sportscards etc...), and he could make a giant profit on the stuff he just overspent on. He did have some amazing stuff, and was asking some amazing prices. Eventually sold most/all at a loss.

1. Marvel decides to self-distribute their comics by taking over Heroes Distribution. Leads to collapse of Capitol City, Destiny Distributors, Styx Dist'n (MB, Canada), and even Heroes Distribution itself. Massive amount of comic retailers complain about the cut in their discounts, increase in shipping rates (esp. to Canada even though the comics were printed by Quebecor in PQ, Canada) because they had to order from at least 2 or 3 distributors (reorders from Bulldog for hot/speculated comics). :P Diamond fights for market share and consolidates the industry after the debacle. :sumo:

1. Marvel decides to self-distribute their comics by taking over Heroes Distribution. Leads to collapse of Capitol City, Destiny Distributors, Styx Dist'n (MB, Canada), and even Heroes Distribution itself. Massive amount of comic retailers complain about the cut in their discounts, increase in shipping rates (esp. to Canada even though the comics were printed by Quebecor in PQ, Canada) because they had to order from at least 2 or 3 distributors (reorders from Bulldog for hot/speculated comics). :P Diamond fights for market share and consolidates the industry after the debacle. :sumo:

I do remember that I was just as I left collecting when I went to college.

Marvel=EMPIRE

However I wonder if them going bankrupt had anything to do with them trying cut costs by getting rid of the middleman (shrug)

oh and add Silver Comics (out of NY) to that list for a perhaps on going scandal!!!

(tsk)

silver_age_comics should not be confused with silvercomics. I have purchased two incredible books from silvercomics, and I have also sold to them. Their customer service is a bit abrupt, but not unreasonably so. I have no regrets in my transactions with them, and would certainly buy from silvercomics again.

oh and add Silver Comics (out of NY) to that list for a perhaps on going scandal!!!

(tsk)

silver_age_comics should not be confused with silvercomics. I have purchased two incredible books from silvercomics, and I have also sold to them. Their customer service is a bit abrupt, but not unreasonably so. I have no regrets in my

transactions with them, and would certainly buy from silvercomics again.

hence why I said out of NY

:boo: