• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 or 10 Best Scandals in Comic History?

59 posts in this topic

One of the biggest scandals in comics was perpetrated by DC Comics, when they sued Fawcett Comics (and basically forced Fawcett to shut down) for copyright infringement by saying Captain Marvel was a rip off of Superman. The characters were nothing alike, except that they were both superheroes. It ended a terrific era of Fawcett comics! DC must have paid off some judges in order for the ruling to be found in their favor, just crazy! Fawcett was one of DC's biggest competitors at the time!

One of the biggest scandals in comics was perpetrated by DC Comics, when they sued Fawcett Comics (and basically forced Fawcett to shut down) for copyright infringement by saying Captain Marvel was a rip off of Superman. The characters were nothing alike, except that they were both superheroes. It ended a terrific era of Fawcett comics! DC must have paid off some judges in order for the ruling to be found in their favor, just crazy! Fawcett was one of DC's biggest competitors at the time!

I'm not an expert on this issue due to the fact that I wasn't alive when it happen. :o From my understanding though, Fawcett actually won in court. DC just would not give up and Fawcett settled out of court. So they more or less screwed themselves and they fact that the lawsuits hurt the sales of the comic.

One more topic on the DC/Fawcett copyright infringement deal. Even if they did settle out of court, the reason it is scandalous to me, is that it should never have been allowed to have gone to court from day 1, and it was a scandal in my opinion anyway.

Usually, in order to settle out of court, you had to have a case brought upon your company in the 1st place. When someone settles "out of court", the case is actually an active court case, you just agree to make a settlement, instead of letting the judge decide. Then you go back to the judge & tell him you have mutually came to an agreement, at which time the judge closes the case.

The reason Fawcett may have settled even though they were not in the wrong could have involved a multitude of reasons, possibly because DC had bigger pockets & could afford a prolonged legal battle. Fawcett might even have won, but maybe they went broke due to all the legal expenses that were piling up & couldn't afford to continue battling for years & years. They were basically bullied & forced into settling by DC, if that isn't a scandal, I don't know what is.

The same thing happens all the time nowadays when a smaller entitiy sues a really large corporation. Even though the small guy was in the right, they don't have the financial means to pursue a decades worth of legal/lawyer bills.

Personally I like Liefeld. Definitely beats art by people like Keith or Texeira those guys really suck.

:o :o :o

Wha-what-what?!

I don't even know where to begin... :makepoint:

I will take Liefield over Sam Keith. Texeira, is ok. Nothing really to say positive or negative about him.

Wouldn't the Ewert saga be considered one of the greatest (ie largest) scandals in comics? I mean it was pretty large in scope and pretty grand in $ and 2c

It also cost CGC a lot of pain and put everyone's slabbed books under scrutiny. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this.

R.

Wouldn't the Ewert saga be considered one of the greatest (ie largest) scandals in comics? I mean it was pretty large in scope and pretty grand in $ and 2c

It also cost CGC a lot of pain and put everyone's slabbed books under scrutiny. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this.

R.

Pretty sure this was one of the 1st scandals mentioned in the thread.

paging FT................

the guy is a walking comic encyclopedia.........

he could name 10 off the top of his head

He was probably involved in most of them lol