• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Five Batman Story Arcs

The Killing Joke  

87 members have voted

1. 1. The Killing Joke

64 posts in this topic

The Killing Joke is not only my favorite Batman story but one of my absolute favorite comics of all time. But here's a real off the wall one that I think is an incredible story that features Batman or should I say Batmans. I don't have it in front of me so I'm not sure the number but in Planetary (maybe 6 or 7) there is a story in which they go to Gotham and are tracking the Batman but time/space keeps going through phase shifts and Batman keeps changing. First he is the Batman from Dark Knight Returns, all square grim-jawed psycho, then he shifts into the Neil Adams Batman, long ears and black, then the New Look Batman from the 60's with the short ears and yellow backed insignia and finally the Adam West Batman slight paunch and all. The story's a real hoot and, of course, brilliantly drawn and written.

Isn't it a one-shot -- Planetary/Batman? And it is a great story. Highly recommended.

I might have to check out that Planetary.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Batman: No Man's Land, which I think was a really good use of the many, many issue story arc format.

I also like Dark Victory about as much as Long Halloween.

I have to agree that under current terms they would make the Englehart/Rogers issue a story arc, perhaps called Love and Loss or something.

I am too lazy to rewrite this post so that each sentence doesn't begin with I.

The Killing Joke is not only my favorite Batman story but one of my absolute favorite comics of all time. But here's a real off the wall one that I think is an incredible story that features Batman or should I say Batmans. I don't have it in front of me so I'm not sure the number but in Planetary (maybe 6 or 7) there is a story in which they go to Gotham and are tracking the Batman but time/space keeps going through phase shifts and Batman keeps changing. First he is the Batman from Dark Knight Returns, all square grim-jawed psycho, then he shifts into the Neil Adams Batman, long ears and black, then the New Look Batman from the 60's with the short ears and yellow backed insignia and finally the Adam West Batman slight paunch and all. The story's a real hoot and, of course, brilliantly drawn and written.

Isn't it a one-shot -- Planetary/Batman? And it is a great story. Highly recommended.

I actually read it in a Planetary TPB, the second book and, not being a Modern guy, I was never really sure how those individual stories first appeared.

But here's a real off the wall one that I think is an incredible story that features Batman or should I say Batmans. I don't have it in front of me so I'm not sure the number but in Planetary (maybe 6 or 7) there is a story in which they go to Gotham and are tracking the Batman but time/space keeps going through phase shifts and Batman keeps changing. First he is the Batman from Dark Knight Returns, all square grim-jawed psycho, then he shifts into the Neil Adams Batman, long ears and black, then the New Look Batman from the 60's with the short ears and yellow backed insignia and finally the Adam West Batman slight paunch and all. The story's a real hoot and, of course, brilliantly drawn and written.

That's really strange...it sounds like you're describing the exact concept of this Superman: Man of Steel book from the 90s. Is this the book you're thinking of or are there two different issues with identical plots?

46975-supemos37sm.jpg