• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I knew this was going to be expensive, but I just had to have it...

16 posts in this topic

Thanks, John. Nedors are tough. You have to be willing to grab mid-grades when they come along because many of them are ungettable in high grade. Although, there are a few beautiful Nedors in the new Heritage catalog. There's a beautiful Thrilling #10 9.4 non-pedigree that I'd love to pick up, but might be out of my price range.

agreed.

why on earth is it a 6.5? must be the back cover?

Yeah the only thing I really see is the top right hand edge of the book looks like it has a decent size crease, but for a GA book this is still a great copy and I don't think that the top edge would hurt it too much. I once had a Batman 23 that was 7.5. It had 1/4 inch tear on the front cover, a at least 1/2 inch tear back cover. Some numbers on the FC in grease pencil that weren't a date maybe a store number but god only knows. It's not like the rest of the book had 4 sharp corners. I couldn't for the life of me see how it got that high of a grade, I guess it was just the good old GA grading curve

That's Mussolini, and on the cover of Thrilling #41 he's hiding under Hitler's bed. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I looked that cover up. I tried to find it on the net and then stupid me I realized it was probably in the Gerber book. That's a funny cover too. It looks like Hitler and Mussolini were practicing some bondage when the commandos interrupted them. I can't believe Overstreet doesn't note this cover as a bondage cover.

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's Mussolini, and on the cover of Thrilling #41 he's hiding under Hitler's bed. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked that cover up. I tried to find it on the net and then stupid me I realized it was probably in the Gerber book. That's a funny cover too. It looks like Hitler and Mussolini were practicing some bondage when the commandos interrupted them. I can't believe Overstreet doesn't note this cover as a bondage cover.

The Mile High copy of the Thrilling #41 is in the new Heritage catalog. It's a 9.2, and very pretty. As for the America's Best #7, I agree that there must be some problems with the back cover to justify the 6.5 grade. When the book arrives, I'll give you guys all the details.

That MH Thrilling #41 in the Heritage catalog is an interesting book. It's a 9.2, but has a pretty major crease on the top left edge and some scuffing by Mussolini to name a few defects. Just for kicks I called CGC for the graders notes on it and it was graded three years ago, in the early days of CGC. The pregrader gave it a 9.0 and the other grader gave it an 8.0 which seemed more realistic judging from the scan. Primary grader overrode the others and these defects and slapped a 9.2 on it!!! Early day politics in play? Still a great book, though.

Actually the Thrilling #41 has a 3/4 inch tear on the front cover. It is on the bottom near the center. The book got damaged many years ago when it was sent through the mail. I saw the book in San Diego. It is awesome, but has defects!

Timely

What a shame. Just looking closely at the Heritage scan, I thought that NM- grade was generous. What about that crease on the upper left edge? No color break, but it sure looks like a crease to me. Either way it's a great book and it's the Mile High copy, so it'll go for a nice $$$. And I saw that Thrilling #10 at the Chicago show. THAT is one nice looking book. I believe that is a file copy even though it's not denoted on the label.

Stagedoorjohnny