• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,460 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, followtheleader said:

Could be mixing with the original series.

It was Cartoon, then switched to Image, then back to Cartoon. Image reprinted the cartoon books later.

Patrick

Yeah I thought I read somewhere the Image run went to 48, but I have no idea.

I just remember that I asked for Bone when it first came out in image to be put in my folder at the LCS and 26 is the last one I have

On 8/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, docgo said:

I will never understand why people go insane over this book. It’s definitely interesting and I’d like to read it some day but I would never bid up to these levels having seen some of the content. It was not well done lol

Doesn't it look like what's in the OSU collection?  https://osucartoons.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/33EFCD6D-99D1-49BC-AFEC-279163427144

Those look just like the 1991 comics.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:25 PM, valiantman said:

Doesn't it look like what's in the OSU collection?  https://osucartoons.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/33EFCD6D-99D1-49BC-AFEC-279163427144

Yeah, not to me. Not close. It took Jeff several years before he got the lines correct for the cousins not to mention the use of timing with their humor.

I haven’t seen all of it of course since I’ve never owned the book but the sampling I have seen isn’t particularly impressive.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:35 PM, docgo said:
On 8/30/2021 at 5:25 PM, valiantman said:

Yeah, not to me. Not close. It took Jeff several years before he got the lines correct for the cousins not to mention the use of timing with their humor.

I haven’t seen all of it of course since I’ve never owned the book but the sampling I have seen isn’t particularly impressive.

Bone looks good, though.  The rat creatures are recognizable.  Being 8 years earlier than the comics, it's pretty easy to see why Bone collectors might even prefer the 1983 book to Bone #1 (1991).  I don't have a copy of Thorn, but I'm not surprised by the price.  The difference in time between Thorn (1983) and Bone #1 (1991) is about the same as Incredible Hulk #181 (1974) and Wolverine #1 (1982).  It's easy to see the price difference on Hulk #181 vs. Wolverine #1.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:19 AM, valiantman said:

Bone looks good, though.  The rat creatures are recognizable.  Being 8 years earlier than the comics, it's pretty easy to see why Bone collectors might even prefer the 1983 book to Bone #1 (1991).  I don't have a copy of Thorn, but I'm not surprised by the price.  The difference in time between Thorn (1983) and Bone #1 (1991) is about the same as Incredible Hulk #181 (1974) and Wolverine #1 (1982).  It's easy to see the price difference on Hulk #181 vs. Wolverine #1.

I can see why you’d wanna make that comparison but it’s not apt for me. Thorn is a reprint of comic strips from a college newspaper while Incredible Hulk #181 is a professionally produced comic book that everyone recognizes as a full first appearance (I’ve always been fond of the cover as well).

Thorn is undoubtedly rare and definitely a curiosity to me but that’s where its significance ends. It also has a few of the story elements that eventually made it into the 55 issue series but the art, content, and, ultimately, the cover hold me back from bidding significant amounts.

I would love to hear why any fan of the series would prefer to have a Thorn over a first print Bone #1 (other than current value). “In addition to” is much more believable.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:26 AM, WilliamG.Staggers said:

Hey guys, I need a refresher. What color is the bone logo on the 1st print of the 6th issue? I'd really appreciate if someone knows. 

Is there a reason to believe it isn't "lavender"?  https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/7840988/bone-1?variant=8847220

On 12/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, valiantman said:

Is there a reason to believe it isn't "lavender"?  https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/7840988/bone-1?variant=8847220

I believe he wants the color of the logo on the 1st print of #6 not the 6th print of #1.

The current ComicLink auction for a 9.8 #6 that has a lavender logo is NOT the 1st print. The 1st print has a red logo. I don’t see any contact info on their site to let them know. It was mislabeled by CGC so it’s not really the auction site’s fault.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:33 PM, docgo said:
On 12/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, valiantman said:

I believe he wants the color of the logo on the 1st print of #6 not the 6th print of #1.

The current ComicLink auction for a 9.8 #6 that has a lavender logo is NOT the 1st print. The 1st print has a red logo. I don’t see any contact info on their site to let them know. It was mislabeled by CGC so it’s not really the auction site’s fault.

Yep, I read that backwards.  

I emailed one of the ComicLink VPs and the title of the CGC 9.8 Bone #6 auction has changed to “SECOND PRINTING”. They haven’t changed the “1 of only 4 ever assigned this top grade” yet, which is obviously wrong, but everything else in the auction description now looks accurate.

It may be the first 2nd printing ever graded from what I’m seeing on the census (still only three 9.8s of the first printing, so far).

On 12/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, WilliamG.Staggers said:

If lavender is the 2nd printing, does that make yellow the 3rd print color?

I am by no means an expert on the multiple printings of the first 14 books, but according to comicbookrealm (no idea how reliable they are), the dark yellow is the 2nd print, lavender is the 3rd print, purple is the 4th print, a lighter yellow is the 5th print, and a red logo with the price & issue number also in red is the 6th print. Maybe @videoloop can enlighten us with a definitive answer…

On 12/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, docgo said:

I am by no means an expert on the multiple printings of the first 14 books, but according to comicbookrealm (no idea how reliable they are), the dark yellow is the 2nd print, lavender is the 3rd print, purple is the 4th print, a lighter yellow is the 5th print, and a red logo with the price & issue number also in red is the 6th print. Maybe @videoloop can enlighten us with a definitive answer…

I'm travelling with my new wife at the moment, so I'm not at home to post photos, but according to my inventory list, I have the following for #6:

1st - Red
2nd - Blue
3rd - Lavender
4th - Dark Purple
5th - Yellow
6th - Orange

1st and 6th print logos can look very similar - especially in photos with poor lighting.

Hope this helps! When I get home, I can take photos of the run if you guys want to see them. :) 

On 12/4/2021 at 2:02 PM, videoloop said:

I'm travelling with my new wife at the moment, so I'm not at home to post photos, but according to my inventory list, I have the following for #6:

1st - Red
2nd - Blue
3rd - Lavender
4th - Dark Purple
5th - Yellow
6th - Orange

1st and 6th print logos can look very similar - especially in photos with poor lighting.

Hope this helps! When I get home, I can take photos of the run if you guys want to see them. :) 

Absolutely 

Curious what people think about Bone #1's potential in the next 1-5 years. 

Obviously, the success (or lack thereof) with Netflix will be huge. 

CGC prices for 9.0+ are pretty solid.  Just seems like it's screaming to soar much higher. 

Patrick 

On 12/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, followtheleader said:

Curious what people think about Bone #1's potential in the next 1-5 years. 

Obviously, the success (or lack thereof) with Netflix will be huge. 

CGC prices for 9.0+ are pretty solid.  Just seems like it's screaming to soar much higher. 

Patrick 

We are going to see a Turtle like rise in this series.

I've been giving away the scholastic TPBs to 10-12 year olds, and they are nuts over it. Absolutely love the series

Saying that, I've probably just killed all hope of me ever getting 1st prints of early Comic Book issues lol