• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,450 posts in this topic

A question for those in the know..

I just bought a nice lot of Bone books, all of them nice NMish on the outside.. but when I look inside at the centerfolds, many books have rusty staples. Huh?! I've never seen this on a modern book. Looks like the outside chrome coating on the staple had chipped off and the metal underneath had oxidized. This is only apparent on the inside prongs of the staples.. the outside looks perfect. The pages are ultra white and there is no moisture damage which makes it even stranger..

Is this a known problem for Bone books?

A question for those in the know..

I just bought a nice lot of Bone books, all of them nice NMish on the outside.. but when I look inside at the centerfolds, many books have rusty staples. Huh?! I've never seen this on a modern book. Looks like the outside chrome coating on the staple had chipped off and the metal underneath had oxidized. This is only apparent on the inside prongs of the staples.. the outside looks perfect. The pages are ultra white and there is no moisture damage which makes it even stranger..

Is this a known problem for Bone books?

Sorry to say this, but your post comes as a relief to me. I've run into many rusty-stapled Bone books and I thought I was the only one (mine have always been rusty on the outside though). I think this qualifies as a "known problem".

Yeah, PhiGam, it's mainly the Cartoon Books issues.. but I also noticed it in the first couple Image issues I have.

So they used crappy staples, apparently. It's crazy.. and frustrating. I just went through all the books I picked up. There are definitely a few 9.6 books in there, but they have the interior rust.

So how is CGC handling this book? Is this wear-and-tear or a manufacturing defect? Does rust on the interior staple prongs knock down the grade?

I've seen the rust in the mid-teens and the thirties. Haven't seen it on the Image books yet.

It will knock down the grade considerably. I'd say 8.0 or below.

Edited by docgo

Got this for xmas from my sister (think my wife might have lent a helping hand) - it's the leather-bound retailer edition of Bone Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer ... Pretty neat!

Whoa, I've never seen that before. Pretty sweet! :grin:

Got this for xmas from my sister (think my wife might have lent a helping hand) - it's the leather-bound retailer edition of Bone Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer ... Pretty neat!

Okay that's it! Where can I find a list of rare Bone books?

Sweet gift by the way.