• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,450 posts in this topic

The Holiday Special was polybagged with the December issue of Hero back in '93. The five page story at the beginning of the comic has the cousins celebrating the Winter Solstice with Gran'ma Ben & Thorn while Fone, filled with the holiday spirit, brings a freshly baked quiche to a pair of rat creatures in the nearby forest (which they gladly accept). There's also an interview with Jeff and a few reprints of the old Thorn comic strip from his cartooning days at the Ohio State University newspaper, The Lantern (early 80s).

boneholidayspecial01cgc98ss09561880.jpg

The Holiday Special was polybagged with the December issue of Hero back in '93. The five page story at the beginning of the comic has the cousins celebrating the Winter Solstice with Gran'ma Ben & Thorn while Fone, filled with the holiday spirit, brings a freshly baked quiche to a pair of rat creatures in the nearby forest (which they gladly accept). There's also an interview with Jeff and a few reprints of the old Thorn comic strip from his cartooning days at the Ohio State University newspaper, The Lantern (early 80s).

boneholidayspecial01cgc98ss09561880.jpg

that is the prettiest copy i've ever (and probably will ever) see!! never seen a copy higher than 9.2/9.4 myself.

Great book! I love the story too :) smiley's guitar is great..

After the final chapter of the second act of the Bone saga (Bone #37), Mr. Smith went on a short hiatus with two prequel minis: Rose and Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails. Rat Tails was the first to publish and it's a pretty good series. I really like the character of Big Johnson Bone while some of the others can be a little annoying (I believe the story was geared more towards a younger crowd). There's always been talk of a second series but nothing beyond that.

I purchased the book itself raw from mschmidt and sent it to Joel for the December signing. :grin:

stupidrattails1cgc96ss0956188010.jpg

Edited by docgo

Here's yet another mschmidt 9.8 that I was able to wrangle. If I remember correctly, it's the only cover in the series without a character featured in the art (the impression of Phoney is from the interior). The design of the ancient city of Atheia was inspired by a trip that Jeff made in 2001 to Katmandu. He delves into these details in an interview included in the letters section of the book.

bone46cgc980156128006.jpg

Note: The crack on the bottom of the slab occurred in an accident that I caused. The book doesn't appear to have been affected. :)

This 10th Anniversary book came out between #44 and #45 in the summer of 2001. It was the first time Cartoon Books depicted the story portion of Bone in a full color comic book (Disney Adventures magazine reprinted Bone #1-6 in color during the mid to late 90s). The back of the book contains an interesting eight page analysis of Jeff's storytelling style that includes pics of early drafts of the opening splash drawn on yellow college ruled paper. When you bought this issue at a comic store, you also received a " free" PVC figure of Fone Bone (sorta explains the $5.99 price :/ ).

Not many of these were printed so it can be a struggle to find one in ultra high grade. The one below was purchased as a slab from Grails then autographed by Jeff at the Flying Colors Comics signing (witnessed by Joel Elad).

bone10thcgc98ss0956192001.jpg

Today was picture day, as i finally got the HUGE bone collection in :acclaim:

I had been thinking, wheeling, dealing and scheming on how to put this set in my hands for quite awhile, and today is the day i've been waiting for!! Bone 1-55 + extras!!

also pictured is my dream shot of all of the bone #1 prints :cloud9:

here we go!

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

DSCN1056.jpg

THE GROUP SHOT OF BONE #1s!!

DSCN1064.jpg

Bone #1 FIRST PRINTS ONLY!!

DSCN1066.jpg

OK, ALL CARTOON BOOKS PRINTS ONLY!!

DSCN1070.jpg

now all of the Bone #1s, NO SLABS!!

DSCN1072.jpg

AND ONE LAST TIME, ALL THE BONE #1s!!

DSCN1065.jpg

Guest Grails
This 10th Anniversary book came out between #44 and #45 in the summer of 2001. It was the first time Cartoon Books depicted the story portion of Bone in a full color comic book (Disney Adventures magazine reprinted Bone #1-6 in color during the mid to late 90s). The back of the book contains an interesting eight page analysis of Jeff's storytelling style that includes pics of early drafts of the opening splash drawn on yellow college ruled paper. When you bought this issue at a comic store, you also received a " free" PVC figure of Fone Bone (sorta explains the $5.99 price :/ ).

Not many of these were printed so it can be a struggle to find one in ultra high grade. The one below was purchased as a slab from Grails then autographed by Jeff at the Flying Colors Comics signing (witnessed by Joel Elad).

bone10thcgc98ss0956192001.jpg

Um, I have sellers remorse, can I have it back?

The Hooded One only appears on three first print covers and this was the last. Every one of those appearances have been difficult to find in ultra high grade too, so I was happy to acquire this one. What is Jeff's obsession with darkly colored covers (not to mention those darn black back covers)? It continues into RASL too. Ugh... :frustrated:

bone48cgc98015612009.jpg

good luck cdubz! :)

i know of a dunce speculator who is going to be throwing insane amounts of money at this book :P

weird timing though, huh? where were all of these books when i was scrounging for my copies??

Yeah, really. Lots of nice Bone lately. Your copies are worthless now. Sell them to me at pennies on the dollar. :baiting: