• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,450 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, The Meta said:

We are going to see a Turtle like rise in this series.

I've been giving away the scholastic TPBs to 10-12 year olds, and they are nuts over it. Absolutely love the series

Saying that, I've probably just killed all hope of me ever getting 1st prints of early Comic Book issues lol

TMNT is what I was thinking of. 

I'm just not sure it will jump that high.  But it does have a lot of the great foundation pieces that could get it close. 

Smith has built the fanbase over the years in a myriad of ways (Scholastic books you mentioned was one of the best).   

The series has so many low print books, it would be nice to see others really take off.  

Patrick

On 12/18/2021 at 2:27 PM, followtheleader said:

TMNT is what I was thinking of. 

I'm just not sure it will jump that high.  But it does have a lot of the great foundation pieces that could get it close. 

Smith has built the fanbase over the years in a myriad of ways (Scholastic books you mentioned was one of the best).   

The series has so many low print books, it would be nice to see others really take off.  

Patrick

Just a matter of time at this point

Beyond #1, what other issues do we see popping? 

2 thru 5 seem like strong contenders.  I really don't see 6 thru 9 near as much as the other either. 

I've been grabbing Cerebus 161 nice copies for a bit now (though I don't expect it will go up much).

Patrick

On 12/17/2021 at 1:37 PM, docgo said:

Are those photocopies of the Thorn book? I’ve never seen one in real life, only images.

Back in the 1990s I purchased a HUGE collection of Bone stuff, featuring a full page of original artwork, also including first printings, signed prints, pins, post cards, original sketches, rare cards, Thorn: Tales From the Lantern, toys, virtually every copy of the OSU Lantern with all the original first appearances in the Thorn strip that would later become Tales From The Lantern, which would later become Bone.  The collection pretty much contained every Bone-related item ever made, featuring rarities most people had never seen or heard of...

I was in college at the time and yada-yada-yada, I had to sell most of the items. I have the first few Thorn strips ever published, clipped straight from the OSU Lantern, a couple of the first printings of the comic, and this... a binder of sorts between two heavy stock "covers" with high quality copies of most if not every Thorn strip ever published in the Lantern.

What most people do not know is that there were some Thorn strips that were considered too controversial to publish in the Tales From The Lantern book. This binder contains those missing strips. 

This is roughly 8 1/2 by 11", and was supposedly compiled by a friend of Jeff's with whom he opened an animation studio, before the book was made/published. I reached out to Jeff Smith to see if he remembered this, but his rep (wife?) said he did not. I mean, it WAS almost 40 years ago!

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of it, or what the original owner told me, but I also cannot verify it as anything but a cool collection of photocopies of some fairly rare original newspaper comic strips...

On 12/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, followtheleader said:

Curious what people think about Bone #1's potential in the next 1-5 years. 

Obviously, the success (or lack thereof) with Netflix will be huge. 

CGC prices for 9.0+ are pretty solid.  Just seems like it's screaming to soar much higher. 

Patrick 

Whether or not the show happens or is good or not, I believe this book will still be climbing through the next 5 years. Wild to see a 9.2 go for 5,600 the other day. A 9.6 sold for 7,500 as well as another for a little more this year. I've been stocking up for a while but I'm still buying. #2 Really hasn't caught up yet. The show will probably send that one soaring if Thorn is a hit. I see #1 as a blue chip. 

Just a quick appreciation post to shout out a couple regular contributors in this thread.

@docgo - thanks for helping a total noob navigate the early stages of building a collection. Always enjoy our conversations!

and

@WilliamG.Staggers - thank you for a great transaction - I finally dipped my toe into the wonderful world of 9.8s. These arrived today...5 down, 50 to go. Thanks dude!

IMG_0163.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, Troy Division said:

So tired of Bone starting and stopping. 

I'm sure it will be made someday.  

I'm getting to the point where I kind of hope it doesn't happen.  

Patrick 

In my mind, it would be a difficult story to do as a movie trilogy and thought the TV series would have a better chance of working. I think they were having -script problems over the last year which isn’t surprising.

I’m sure some studio or service will give it a shot but will take a lot longer now. Oh well.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, docgo said:

In my mind, it would be a difficult story to do as a movie trilogy and thought the TV series would have a better chance of working. I think they were having --script problems over the last year which isn’t surprising.

I’m sure some studio or service will give it a shot but will take a lot longer now. Oh well.

I'd take it either way. 

I tend to agree with the preference of a TV series.  As long as it's a defined length (not open like WD and drags on or has poor tangents).

Patrick