• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,461 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 12:42 AM, docgo said:

In my mind, it would be a difficult story to do as a movie trilogy and thought the TV series would have a better chance of working. I think they were having --script problems over the last year which isn’t surprising.

I’m sure some studio or service will give it a shot but will take a lot longer now. Oh well.

I also think that a series would be the preferable format.

I'm unfamiliar with the process in these scenarios, but wouldn't there be progress made over the last couple of years that wouldn't need to be repeated if a new studio/distributor stepped in? I'm thinking the upshot is that if Jeff does take it somewhere else, he wouldn't need to start from zero, but maybe I'm too optimistic...

On 4/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, Legion of Goom said:

I also think that a series would be the preferable format.

I'm unfamiliar with the process in these scenarios, but wouldn't there be progress made over the last couple of years that wouldn't need to be repeated if a new studio/distributor stepped in? I'm thinking the upshot is that if Jeff does take it somewhere else, he wouldn't need to start from zero, but maybe I'm too optimistic...

Hopefully Jeff himself will reveal something about the development. Otherwise, these sorts of things tend to be closely guarded secrets that never reach the public. Still haven’t heard anything about the previous attempt to make it a movie when Warner Brothers purchased the rights about 15 years ago.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:00 PM, p-kay14 said:

Finally picked up a copy of my favorite issue in the series. I was happily surprised to find that it's a double cover:

IMG_20220423_173434246.thumb.jpg.101330c866a959b38791de5875fe4acd.jpg

That is interesting. Looks to be in good condition as well from this singular view. Did you find this on eBay?

Bummer that the show was cancelled. Based on the Jeff Smith's response comic on Twitter are we to assume that any future TV/movie adaption is now off the table?? Would that have any effect on the price of books? For me a long time fan, with a recently rediscovered short box of books during the original run, would like to see a drop in prices so I can fill the holes in my run and maybe score a coveted 1st print number 1.

FQ--BMOXoAMOcmj?format=jpg&name=medium

On 5/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, vksince82 said:

Bummer that the show was cancelled. Based on the Jeff Smith's response comic on Twitter are we to assume that any future TV/movie adaption is now off the table?? Would that have any effect on the price of books? For me a long time fan, with a recently rediscovered short box of books during the original run, would like to see a drop in prices so I can fill the holes in my run and maybe score a coveted 1st print number 1.

I would say it’s much more likely that it goes to another producer. The story itself seems very adaptable with a few minor changes. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen anything to suggest prices could get lower as of yet.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:08 PM, mmorrison said:

I bet most people wouldn't know the Sword Rogers reference in the top strip on this page. I went to OSU when Jeff did and had a short lived strip called Sword Rogers that Jeff was nice enough to mention in his strip. I bought the Thorn: Tales from the Lantern collection and he signed it and drew a few pics. One was his characters and one was Sword Rogers and Fone Bone together. I've attached it, in case you're interested. I'm a big fan of Jeff's work and the handful of times I've met him, he was always super nice. 

IMG_7106.JPG

Whoa, that’s nice! Always like to hear Jeff Smith stories from back in his college days. Let us know if you got anymore…

After nearly 2 years, another 9.8 of #1 will come up for public auction near the end of November on Heritage (11/17 or 11/18). In that time there have been five 9.6s that have sold publicly with two at ComicLink auctions, one at ComicConnect, and one at Heritage (other was an eBay Buy It Now). It appears to be the latest 9.8 graded and is the 18th Universal label to hit NM/MT. Auction starts on 10/28 and will be interesting to see where it ends.

For the record, this is not my book and I probably won’t be bidding. I’m just a fairly neutral observer lol

Edited by docgo
Forgot about the Heritage auction

On 10/5/2022 at 9:22 AM, docgo said:

After nearly 2 years, another 9.8 of #1 will come up for public auction near the end of November on Heritage (11/17 or 11/18). In that time there have been five 9.6s that have sold publicly with two at ComicLink auctions, one at ComicConnect, and one at Heritage (other was an eBay Buy It Now). It appears to be the latest 9.8 graded and is the 18th Universal label to hit NM/MT. Auction starts on 10/28 and will be interesting to see where it ends.

For the record, this is not my book and I probably won’t be bidding. I’m just a fairly neutral observer lol

Set tracking at HA, thanks! Betting it was one of the 5 Jeff gave in the Kickstarter from last year.

What's the 9.8 record -- $13K?  Will be curious to see if this reaches that height again....

On 10/6/2022 at 11:03 AM, Legion HQ said:

Set tracking at HA, thanks! Betting it was one of the 5 Jeff gave in the Kickstarter from last year.

What's the 9.8 record -- $13K?  Will be curious to see if this reaches that height again....

I’d be shocked if it didn’t. By how much is the question for me.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:03 AM, Legion HQ said:

Forgot to mention that I’d also be shocked if this was one of the Tuki copies. It would have to be mentioned in the description (I would think).

On 11/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, docgo said:

Two weeks away from the 9.8 #1 closing on Heritage where it presently sits at $5160 with BP. Any guesses on where it could end up?

I have no idea but of all modern stuff out there Bone has an international audience, (it's been translated to I don't know how many languages), it's much beloved etc so I feel it shouldn't be less than 10k (as a floor) given how small that initial print run was and the fact there's less than 20 9.8s on the census. To me it merits between 20-40k given the impact of the characters and how timeless it is, but ultimately the price of something is determined by what people are actually willing to spend so (shrug)

On 11/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Pixx_L said:

I have no idea but of all modern stuff out there Bone has an international audience, (it's been translated to I don't know how many languages), it's much beloved etc so I feel it shouldn't be less than 10k (as a floor) given how small that initial print run was and the fact there's less than 20 9.8s on the census. To me it merits between 20-40k given the impact of the characters and how timeless it is, but ultimately the price of something is determined by what people are actually willing to spend so (shrug)

I often forget about Bone’s international audience so thanks for the reminder. According to Cartoon Books, it’s been translated into 30+ languages.

I also read on the Boneville site that the black & white version of the One Volume Edition is on its 28th printing.