• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,450 posts in this topic

I am just starting to have my Bone collection graded. Bought them as a store subscription for the 1st 18 months or so when they came out..  I even have some of the Rat Tails. Are these something to still discuss? I have asked in comic book stores and get a blank stare. 

In case any of you are sending in these 1st print issues for grading, there are some first appearances and significant events that I think should be on the labels. I’ve sent emails to them in the past but nothing below has shown up in the notes yet. Here’s my list and please add anything if you think it belongs:

• #4 - 1st appearance of Kingdok and The Hooded One
  • #5 - 1st appearance of Lucius Down
  • #23 - 1st appearance of Bartleby (some of the #22s have this designation and it’s incorrect)
  • #28 - 1st appearance of Roque Ja (incorrectly listed as “Roque Ja Bone”)
  • #36 - The Hooded One’s identity revealed
  • #48 - 1st appearance of Lord Tarsil
  • #50 - “Death” of Lord Tarsil
  • #54 - “Death” of Kingdok, Lucius Down, and The Hooded One
  • #55 - Thorn becomes Queen of the Valley

On 11/9/2022 at 11:37 PM, docgo said:
  • #4 - 1st appearance of Kingdok and The Hooded One
  • #5 - 1st appearance of Lucius Down
  • #23 - 1st appearance of Bartleby (some of the #22s have this designation and it’s incorrect)
  • #36 - The Hooded One’s identity revealed
  • #48 - 1st appearance of Lord Tarsil
  • #50 - “Death” of Lord Tarsil
  • #54 - “Death” of Kingdok, Lucius Down, and The Hooded One
  • #55 - Thorn becomes Queen of the Valley

Just adding some fairly obvious ones to the list - @docgo, you can weigh in on the relevance of some of the lesser characters/Mystery Cow as it relates to this conversation!

#1 - first Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, Smiley Bone, Red Dragon, Rat Creatures, Ted
#2 - first Thorn, Miz Possum, Possum Kids
#3 - first Gran'ma Ben
#8 - first Mystery Cow

On 11/9/2022 at 11:11 PM, videoloop said:

Just adding some fairly obvious ones to the list - @docgo, you can weigh in on the relevance of some of the lesser characters/Mystery Cow as it relates to this conversation!

#1 - first Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, Smiley Bone, Red Dragon, Rat Creatures, Ted
#2 - first Thorn, Miz Possum, Possum Kids
#3 - first Gran'ma Ben
#8 - first Mystery Cow

Rat Creatures is interesting for #1 but the Bone cousins, Red Dragon, and Ted are already listed. It’s a shame that the two primary Rat Creatures who appear throughout the series aren’t named, which would make this one easier.

The Possum Kids are probably more significant than Miz Possum since they reappear in the Rock Jaw storyline (specifically Bone #29-32). I think Miz Possum just appears in #2 and #12. I don’t necessarily disagree with their inclusion. Thorn and Gran’ma Ben are already listed however.

The three tavern dwellers who have different rolls in the series depending on the differing storylines (specifically The Great Cow Race, The Dragonslayer, Old Man’s Cave, and Ghost Circles) should probably be listed as well:

• #6 - 1st appearance of Jonathan Oaks
  • #8 - 1st appearance of Euclid
  • #9 - 1st appearance of Wendell

I’ll have to look through the individual issues to figure out which issue has Jonathan’s death.

I like the addition of The Mystery Cow! Why didn’t I think of that :facepalm: lol

On 11/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, Lindi said:

I am just starting to have my Bone collection graded. Bought them as a store subscription for the 1st 18 months or so when they came out..  I even have some of the Rat Tails. Are these something to still discuss? I have asked in comic book stores and get a blank stare. 

Rat Tails is a decent story. Not a fan of the monkey character but Big Johnson Bone was funny. What did you think?

On 11/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, Flanders82 said:

I may have overpaid for both of these but I'm glad to have them for my personal collection. The Bone #1 was a comicconnect auction win from maybe over a year ago and the Bone #2 is a 9.6 from the other guys that I picked up recently. 

Because so few of the graded #1s are sold, it’s hard to know if you’ve overpaid.

Personally, I don’t think you did. It’s a really nice copy!

On 10/5/2022 at 8:22 AM, docgo said:

After nearly 2 years, another 9.8 of #1 will come up for public auction near the end of November on Heritage (11/17 or 11/18). In that time there have been five 9.6s that have sold publicly with two at ComicLink auctions, one at ComicConnect, and one at Heritage (other was an eBay Buy It Now). It appears to be the latest 9.8 graded and is the 18th Universal label to hit NM/MT. Auction starts on 10/28 and will be interesting to see where it ends.

For the record, this is not my book and I probably won’t be bidding. I’m just a fairly neutral observer lol

About a day to go and it’s at $6.9k with BP. In the past, the bigger collectors of this series wait until the last moment so I think it will see at least a little action after the proxy bidding has ended.

Personally, I think it will get to $14k. Anyone else with a prediction?

On 11/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, Flanders82 said:

Looks like it sold for $12,000. Maybe since grader's notes indicate very light spine stress lines? 

I wasn’t going to speak about the condition of the book before the auction completed. When I first saw it pop up on Heritage and I really started looking at the scans, I was shocked it was a 9.8. The 9.6 I own looks better and was graded just a few months before this one. I obviously can’t see the interiors so maybe that’s the difference (shrug)

To me, it’s definitely on the lower end of other 9.8s I’ve seen. Still a nice copy though and the new owner should enjoy it.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-new-bone-graphic-novel-from-jeff-smith-and-friends-for-2023/

A New Bone Graphic Novel from Jeff Smith and Friends For 2023

Includes Out from Boneville, The Great Cow Race, Eyes of the Storm, The Dragonslayer, Rock Jaw, Old Man's Cave, Ghost Circles, Treasure Hunters, Crown of Horns, and Rose. Named by Time magazine as one of the ten greatest graphic novels of all time, Jeff Smith's BONE series follows the incredible saga of an unwitting hero who must save an idyllic valley from the forces of evil. Filled with endearing characters, bizarre creatures, and heartbreaking dilemmas at every turn, these visually stunning books comprise a literary legend in the making.

81S2LyUgATL.webp

More Tall Tales! I never picked up the original Tall Tales because I think most of it was just a reprint of Stupid Stupid Rat Tails. From what I understand, this edition will have all new art so I’m definitely curious.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:37 PM, docgo said:

In case any of you are sending in these 1st print issues for grading, there are some first appearances and significant events that I think should be on the labels. I’ve sent emails to them in the past but nothing below has shown up in the notes yet. Here’s my list and please add anything if you think it belongs:

Happy to report that this has been corrected and will read as stated above on future #28 submissions. To the small victories (thumbsu

Happy New Year everyone!

newshane's great Spawn thread about his former collection inspired me to get back to my CGC Boards roots and start posting more about new additions to my Bone collection. Honestly, I didn't add much between 2017 and 2021 because I stopped submitting after a bad experience with a Signature Series facilitator (don't ask lol) and then the pandemic occurred. In 2022, I was officially back and have had numerous submissions trying to fill those last 12 spots with 9.8s as well as upgrading some Universals into Signature Series books.

This submission was a much needed education about how CGC is currently grading 9.6s vs. 9.8s. Most of the books I sent in were in that fuzzy 9.6/9.8 range and now I have a firm idea about what's allowable for NM/MT. The copy below was the only part of the submission that was a 9.8 all day long (beautifully facilitated by the great Rich Henn). As you can see from the label, the incorrect "1st appearance of Roque Ja Bone" now properly states just "Roque Ja" :).

2022-12-13-2-2-45-01.jpeg

Edited by docgo
Grammar

This is the first #41 I've ever submitted and it was in that dreaded 9.6/9.8 arena. It took me awhile to figure out why it's a 9.6 and it can only be seen when reflecting light off the specific area. I still like the book and will be in my collection until I find an upgrade :)

2022-12-13-2-20-33-01.jpeg

On 1/12/2023 at 6:12 PM, docgo said:

This is the first #41 I've ever submitted and it was in that dreaded 9.6/9.8 arena. It took me awhile to figure out why it's a 9.6 and it can only be seen when reflecting light off the specific area. I still like the book and will be in my collection until I find an upgrade :)

2022-12-13-2-20-33-01.jpeg

I too had a 9.6 come back from signing similarly. I also saw mine has a crooked staple, although it still got 9.6. It was a slabbed 9.6 when sent, so idk.

The light exchange is hard, as I'm not sure if the "ticks" I see were there before, but it was pressed so idk.

But lol I feel you on the sentiment,  cause it was older label that I hoped bumped to 9.8. Just feedback on your raw, from a fellow 9.6.

The #54 is one of the toughest books in the series to find in 9.8...at the moment at least. It's the only issue in the Bone saga with 48 full pages of story (#38 has letters pages & pinups and #55 reprints the Holiday Special story in-between the epilogue) and the front & back covers show every imperfection. This is the only copy I've ever submitted and I had it as a 9.6 going into its signing so the grade was no surprise. Big thanks to Rich Henn for facilitating!

Spoiler

The story itself provides a conclusion to the battle with The Hooded One & Kingdok as both die at the end of the issue. Lucius Down also meets his end as he ends up saving Gran'ma Ben from The Hooded One's final strike and ultimately dies in the process.

2023-01-04-22-23-2-01.jpeg

Edited by docgo
Grammar