• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,460 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2023 at 8:11 PM, WilliamG.Staggers said:

This book really exploded after 2018. I knew it was always undervalued but wow...I remember having the chance at a raw FN/VF sometime around 2015 for less than $800. Doh!

I'm curious what's going on with #2 as well. A 9.4 sold for almost $900 last year. I have the one listed for half the price of the one just sold and I'm scratching my head. May just take it down. There are so many anomalies on GPA for Bone. It certainly has done well despite the show being dropped.

A bunch of the anomalous price points for Bone books have occurred with one particular seller including the 9.4 you mentioned (he/she also sold a CGC 9.6 of #2 for $2.5k recently). They all appear to be legit sales but still strange considering that another 9.6 was available at the time for half that amount (shrug)

I’ve seen several Bone books that have both done well and done poorly since the show was cancelled. A lack of consistency is the norm unfortunately.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, fonebone6166 said:

wow I just found this thread after all this time!  Feels like coming home, lol.  Great to see all of this cool Bone stuff!

Welcome! Please share whatever you’ve collected or any thoughts on the series…

Edited by docgo
Grammar

On 4/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, Toz said:

As I'll never see,much less own a copy of Tales From the Lantern,what is in it? Has it ever been reprinted?

It reprints much of the Thorn comic strips that were originally published in The Lantern (Ohio State’s student newspaper) while Jeff was a student. Some of the strips were reprinted in the Before Bone book that was published in 2008 but that was limited to 500 copies and it would probably be expensive to purchase. You can find the individual strips in the archives of The Lantern somewhere on OSU’s website.

Are any of you going to see Jeff this summer during his Dawn of Man tour? He's traveling through Route 66 in April then going to Heroes and SDCC during the summer. I may go to this last stop in Houston at the Bedrock City Con in early October.

Were any of you readers of the original Bone comic as they were printed in the 90s? If so, do you remember the Riblet story drawn by Stan Sakai? It was an anthropomorphic tale with five parts that appeared after the letters sections of Bone #31-35 (fit in pretty well with the Rock Jaw storyline). Apparently a colorized version will be included with the Bone: More Tall Tales book that comes out in September.

I had almost forgotten about this. I didn’t pay much attention to it at the time so hopefully the color does it justice.

I made the drive to see Jeff Smith in Sedona, AZ. Jeff Smith talked and gave a presentation for about an hour. He covered the origins and evolution of Bone, talked about his new project Tuki, and shared some photos from conventions past. It was such an enjoyable event. He then spent about an hour signing and doing sketches for everyone. I suggest following him on IG and joining him in CA if you can, I think he has an appearance or two coming up.

The photos have an odd green tint from the lighting in the room. But here's the promo ad, the first drawing of Bone, and an early cartoon strip. I have more photos if anyone is interested. I got the Bone omnibus, 1st 3 Bone Adventures TPBs, and Rasl hardcover books all signed. They also did a raffle (I won some Tuki prints) and handed out free bookmarks and a Tuki pin.

He also announced an upcoming Kickstarter to reprint all his early Bone comic strips from his college days.

IMG_20230408_072556_722.jpg

20230426_183930.jpg

20230426_184620.jpg

On 4/28/2023 at 4:55 PM, srezvan said:

I made the drive to see Jeff Smith in Sedona, AZ. Jeff Smith talked and gave a presentation for about an hour. He covered the origins and evolution of Bone, talked about his new project Tuki, and shared some photos from conventions past. It was such an enjoyable event. He then spent about an hour signing and doing sketches for everyone. I suggest following him on IG and joining him in CA if you can, I think he has an appearance or two coming up.

The photos have an odd green tint from the lighting in the room. But here's the promo ad, the first drawing of Bone, and an early cartoon strip. I have more photos if anyone is interested. I got the Bone omnibus, 1st 3 Bone Adventures TPBs, and Rasl hardcover books all signed. They also did a raffle (I won some Tuki prints) and handed out free bookmarks and a Tuki pin.

He also announced an upcoming Kickstarter to reprint all his early Bone comic strips from his college days.

20230426_183930.jpg

20230426_184620.jpg

I believe the last photo shows the first-ever meeting of Fone and Thorn. I posted the clipping from the OSU Lantern above (signed my Jeff). It’s interesting how the characters changed in the comic series. In the Lantern, some of the characters were a bit risqué.

Edited by thewritestuff

On 4/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, srezvan said:

20230426_183930.jpg

20230426_184620.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I heard he was doing a presentation before each appearance and glad to finally know what was included.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:50 PM, fonebone6166 said:

Wow!  That's great to hear!  Would love to read all of these! Hopefully there will be great add-ons like the Tuki KS

I seem to recall that Jeff drew another comic strip during his college years, I believe it had a cat?

I’ve seen a few interesting sales of slabbed Bone comics in the last month, the big one being the 9.6 of #1 that sold for a little over $7k. Since the last one sold on ComicLink for $7.4k in December and $9k on Heritage in June, Heritage seems to be the better venue for sellers of #1 in the uber high grades. Of course a 9.2 Qualified sold this morning for $3.2k in a BIN on eBay so who really knows? Prices have never really been consistent on the #1 since there are so few out there, I suppose.

A 9.6 Signature Series of #6 sold for $650 with a Best Offer in early April. Was a good looking copy and nice to see a yellow label of Bone come up for sale.