• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,461 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2023 at 8:45 AM, fonebone6166 said:

It was through a Reader poll, correct?  Didn't someone write in with the idea as a reference for the Melville short story, Bartleby the Scrivener?

It was! Jeff called it the Name The Cub contest and the winner received a piece of OA featuring all three of the Bone cousins. Started in Bone #25 (Image) and ended in Bone #28 when the comic permanently went back to Cartoon Books.

On 5/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, DocGo said:

It was! Jeff called it the Name The Cub contest and the winner received a piece of OA featuring all three of the Bone cousins. Started in Bone #25 (Image) and ended in Bone #28 when the comic permanently went back to Cartoon Books.

Now to track down who has that OA to make them an outlandish offer... lol

Anyone notice the auctions have kind of dried up? There was a while where HA auctioned 9.6s and 9.8s of #4 seemingly every auction. Several 9.8 #9s and 11s over a few months too. Not much new on eBay for a while too. Appreciate the two #1s on CL but it’s pretty slim pickings compared to last fall.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:37 AM, unagi said:

Anyone notice the auctions have kind of dried up? There was a while where HA auctioned 9.6s and 9.8s of #4 seemingly every auction. Several 9.8 #9s and 11s over a few months too. Not much new on eBay for a while too. Appreciate the two #1s on CL but it’s pretty slim pickings compared to last fall.

I’m guessing Heritage got a single, massive submission of #4s, #9s, and #10s and did their best to spread them out.

ComicLink put up a few more Bone slabs this morning that may be of interest: #1-19, but most of the single digits are second prints.

Edited by DocGo

Any guesses on the final prices for the ComicLink Bone #1s? Not being able to see the back covers has become a dealbreaker for me, especially for something like the CBCS 9.8. The front cover looks very good but there could be a multitude of problems on the flip side and I’m guessing a lot of people would want to covert this to CGC. Signature and sketch are on the inside cover so it would get a universal label. 

On 5/30/2023 at 5:00 AM, DocGo said:

Any guesses on the final prices for the ComicLink Bone #1s? Not being able to see the back covers has become a dealbreaker for me, especially for something like the CBCS 9.8. The front cover looks very good but there could be a multitude of problems on the flip side and I’m guessing a lot of people would want to covert this to CGC. Signature and sketch are on the inside cover so it would get a universal label. 

The 9.6 doesn't look that good to me - is that a color breaking spine tic to the left of the B in the logo, and what are all those white spots?  Are those on the case or the book? 

On 5/30/2023 at 8:42 AM, unagi said:

The 9.6 doesn't look that good to me - is that a color breaking spine tic to the left of the B in the logo, and what are all those white spots?  Are those on the case or the book? 

Looks like one to me, but that’s allowable for a 9.6 of this book.

Edited by DocGo
Grammar

On 5/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, Flanders82 said:

It's tough to give an estimate and I'm still astonished at comiclink's laziness. Is it ever worth the risk in resubmitting a 9.8? 

Will depend on the ending price. It’s a CBCS 9.8 after all so it may end at a CGC 9.6 cost.

I have a question, I have a Image Bone run, that goes 1 to 15, then picks up at 21 to 26. Am I missing issues or is that how the run was printed? I thought all Image prints were second or more

On 5/30/2023 at 4:23 PM, Poutine said:

I have a question, I have an Image Bone run, that goes 1 to 15, then picks up at 21 to 26. Am I missing issues or is that how the run was printed? I thought all Image prints were second or more

Image reprinted #1-20 of the Cartoon Books run. Image #21-27 were all first prints. It appears you’re just missing a few issues

On 5/30/2023 at 4:01 PM, DocGo said:

Image reprinted #1-20 of the Cartoon Books run. Image #21-27 were all first prints. It appears you’re just missing a few issues

Oh shoot

Thank you, guess I have some hunting to do now lol

These books went for far too low. It would've been better to sell them at BIN and possibly on a different auction site.  I feel sorry for the seller(s), especially on that Voldemort book that should've been over 10k. 

bone 1 auction.JPG

Edited by Flanders82

On 5/30/2023 at 8:48 PM, Flanders82 said:

These books went for far too low. It would've been better to sell them at BIN and possibly on a different auction site.  I feel sorry for the seller(s), especially on that Voldemort book that should've been over 10k. 

bone 1 auction.JPG

Just looked at the final result…then looked at when they ended…and then :facepalm:. I’d be :mad: as the seller and :bigsmile: as the buyer.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:25 PM, Poutine said:

Oh shoot

Thank you, guess I have some hunting to do now lol

Keep in mind that they weren’t released concurrently. Image released #21 first as it was the next issue in the Bone series following the numbering from original publisher Cartoon Books. New stories would come out every two to three months so Image would release the reprints with new cover art (#1-20) in between the first printings of #21-27.

It’s confusing 25 years later but made sense at the time lol

On 5/31/2023 at 1:57 AM, DocGo said:

Looks like one to me, but that’s allowable for a 9.6 of this book.

Seems others didn’t like all those marks either for $4301.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:12 AM, unagi said:

Seems others didn’t like all those marks either for $4301.

You may be right but I think it has more to do with a similar but slightly superior book ending at the exact same moment.

I still can’t tell if the marks are on the actual book. I wouldn’t be shocked if they were as these sorts of production problems plagued a bunch of the first print copies.