• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

Recent acquisition..

PR17.jpg

Darn nice looking giant! :headbang:

Ever notice how on virtually every hand that Baker drew, the two middle fingers are together and the other two fingers are spread out.

Ken

Frank Miller was famous for that. I loved that he did that...it makes the character seem more elegant...more fluid. An artist that draws hands well needs to be taken with serious appreciation...that is a tough part of the body to master.

R.

Also very common at Archie, I think usually attributed to Harry Lucey.

Here's the first Archie cover I spotted on a quick search where both characters are makin' the hand jive. Someone correct me if that's not Lucey. (A good Archie art spotter -- here? -- told me that Lucey's characters are always tilted or leaning, never straight vertical.)

Jack

master of my hands

64826.jpg.eafa9f01abafa79b9ebbcc692023963a.jpg

Recent acquisition..

PR17.jpg

Ever notice how on virtually every hand that Baker drew, the two middle fingers are together and the other two fingers are spread out.

Ken

That really is an interesting concept. I never really noticed it until you picked it out. I bet it just makes a better illustration because realistic wise it isn't comfortable to keep your fingers in these positions. I wonder how many of us are now going to see? I did :)

You can see Baker's hand jive in the Camilla strip. Overstreet says he did Camilla in Jungle 100-113, 115 and 116. I would agree with that based on the examples below and other issues that I have. Scans from goldenagecomics.uk

bb

2805295985_f9f4c5900f_o.jpg

2806210588_dda2211ecf_o.jpg

2806147898_8504832570_o.jpg

Recent acquisition..

PR17.jpg

Ken

Frank Miller was famous for that. I loved that he did that...it makes the character seem more elegant...more fluid. An artist that draws hands well needs to be taken with serious appreciation...that is a tough part of the body to master.

R.

Also very common at Archie, I think usually attributed to Harry Lucey.

Here's the first Archie cover I spotted on a quick search where both characters are makin' the hand jive. Someone correct me if that's not Lucey. (A good Archie art spotter -- here? -- told me that Lucey's characters are always tilted or leaning, never straight vertical.)

Jack

master of my hands

I notice that Mike also liked to use the hand jive. Good company.

bb

2809077950_0b5122b16f_o.jpg

These are great scans feel free to post more! I don't have much luck scanning the interior always afraid I'll damage it if it's a higher grade. Just another quick question, how do you get your image small then click to large? I have a story I'd like to scan.

These are great scans feel free to post more! I don't have much luck scanning the interior always afraid I'll damage it if it's a higher grade. Just another quick question, how do you get your image small then click to large? I have a story I'd like to scan.

Thanks JvR11. Imageshack does the thumbnail code for you, so it's really just copy and paste once you've uploaded.

:gossip: There are some interesting things happening on that Wild Boy cover.

I'm confused !?!

Well, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and this may be purely coincedental, but given Baker's history with such things, this was probably intentional.

wildboy14ux0.jpg

You have way to much time on your hands, Dr. Wertham. :baiting:

Well, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and this may be purely coincedental, but given Baker's history with such things, this was probably intentional.

I am dense. I still don't get it?!?

No need to explain it though (thumbs u

These two are not in the GCD so I'd figure I'd share them in case someone hasn't seen them before. There are now only a few spaces needed to fill in the rest of the St. John Baker's. I've seen all the St. John's but I don't actually own the last few left to fill in. But, I'll make it my mission to do so:)

DS23.jpg

PR20.jpg

This is another of my favorite covers, I'd love to have this in a higher grade. Anyone wanting to part with theirs please PM at will.

Boy, could Baker draw horses or what? I wish they would come out with a book on more of his illustrations and drawings. I'm sure his family has quite a bit we've never seen. I know there is the infamous article in Alter Ego which is a must read for any Baker fan. In the Alter Ego article, they talk about how he had these file folders he carried around for source material but one of his family members chucked it. This would have also been really interesting to see.

img212.jpg

Edited by JvR11

I'm confused !?!

wildboy14ux0.jpg

Holy Fudd!

It's "pictures within pictures for children who know how to look”!!!!

Jack

I'm confused !?!

wildboy14ux0.jpg

Holy Fudd!

Jack

Sorry.....wrong thread...I was looking for "job".....not "jive" ( see header )

Thanks.

Pictorial Romances was already there, same scan apparently. Maybe someone beat me to it.

I'm trying to upload Diary Secrets now but the server is hanging up.

Jack

These two are not in the GCD so I'd figure I'd share them in case someone hasn't seen them before. There are now only a few spaces needed to fill in the rest of the St. John Baker's. I've seen all the St. John's but I don't actually own the last few left to fill in. But, I'll make it my mission to do so:)

DS23.jpg

PR20.jpg

I'm confused !?!

wildboy14ux0.jpg

Holy Fudd!

Jack

Sorry.....wrong thread...I was looking for "job".....not "jive" ( see header )

I thought maybe this caught your eye -- predates Obadiah!

2809077950_0b5122b16f_o.jpg

I remember from seeing the original that it's got quite a bend to it, but that should be easy to take care of.

Jack

(Do you need directions to an airport washroom?)