• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

Maybe someone beat me to it.

I'm trying to upload Diary Secrets now but the server is hanging up.

:shy::hi:

I wasn't sure if the Pic Romances went through as the server started to hang up, so much so I couldn't upload the Diary Secrets :pullhair:

Maybe someone beat me to it.

I'm trying to upload Diary Secrets now but the server is hanging up.

:shy::hi:

I wasn't sure if the Pic Romances went through as the server started to hang up, so much so I couldn't upload the Diary Secrets :pullhair:

I shoulda known. Thanks!

Diary Secrets is there now.

When is GCD going to get of that @#$%^&* unreliable server?

Jack

You have way to much time on your hands, Dr. Wertham. :baiting:

lol

It's all the Venus of Willendorf's fault. Blame her. :baiting:

Seriously though, take a general art survey course some time. There are chapters devoted to this stuff. (Don't get me started on the Baroque and the Rococo or Manet's "Olympia".) It's like the arrow in the FedEX sign... once you see it, you can't un-see it.

With that said, I love Baker's work for more than his occasional "Wile E Coyote: Super Genius" moments. That guy could draw.

:gossip: There are some interesting things happening on that Wild Boy cover.

I'm confused !?!

Well, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and this may be purely coincedental, but given Baker's history with such things, this was probably intentional.

wildboy14ux0.jpg

You have way to much time on your hands, Dr. Wertham. :baiting:

I am amazed that you guys can imagine so much in the Wild Boy cover, make suggestive remarks about the figures on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel

and ignore the relation between Baker's and Michelangelo's art, but have no comments about Camilla's backside which is so prominent in his stories.

2809077950_0b5122b16f_o.jpg

Hands from "The Creation of Adam"

2805295985_f9f4c5900f_o.jpg

Jungle 102 I think. Edit: Nope, it was from issue 100.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I am amazed that you guys can imagine so much in the Wild Boy cover, make suggestive remarks about the figures on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel

and ignore the relation between Baker's and Michelangelo's art, but have no comments about Camilla's backside which is so proment in his stories.

2809077950_0b5122b16f_o.jpg

Hands from "The Creation of Adam"

Michelangelo... really? Yeah, I guess I can see that in the hands. That's what drawing from life will do for you.

They're not, however, similar in their rendering of women. Michelangelo's women are essentially guys with breasts.

I see Baker as more of a Velazquez kind of guy. Curvy.

from wiki

64929.jpg.05a88bf957af06bc1e52f1e3d211e67f.jpg

I think we discussed before that Baker wasn't allowed to draw a heroic black male for the comics.

Someone may have already mentioned Voodah as the exception but since I found this scan I thought I would post it. I don't think there are a lot of Baker stories in Crown but they worth finding. The black hero was choking the white villian in one panel which is a reversal of the usual JoJo plot. The cover unfortunately is a little racist I think. There is also a Coney Island story in that issue which looks like Baker did some of the art

bb

2823220436_e356436a79_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think we discussed before that Baker wasn't allowed to draw a heroic black male for the comics.

Someone may have already mentioned Voodah as the exception but since I found this scan I thought I would post it. I don't think there are a lot of Baker stories in Crown but they worth finding. The black hero was choking the white villian in one panel which is a reversal of the usual JoJo plot. The cover unfortunately is a little racist I think. There is also a Coney Island story in that issue which looks like Baker did some of the art

bb

2823220436_e356436a79_b.jpg

I noticed that by issue 5, Voodah turned white on the covers. Was this a printers error or an editorial request?

bb

2826949468_2be8da050c_o.jpg

The scan is from ebay. I think the comic belongs to Lewis and is priced around $100-200.

These covers are attributed to Baker according to Alberto's article in A-E #47.

2828303686_d901bfbee5_b.jpg

2828303316_40caa78cbd_b.jpg

If the top one's Baker, he had a terrible inker. I'm not certain it's him. The bottom one definitely looks like Baker's work.

bb

I noticed that by issue 5, Voodah turned white on the covers. Was this a printers error or an editorial request?

bb

2826949468_2be8da050c_o.jpg

The scan is from ebay. I think the comic belongs to Lewis and is priced around $100-200.

I always think that the Fox covers look like they were made by Baker and someone else.

The women look like Baker's work but the rest of the cover looks like it was filled in or inked by a less inspired artist.

The Crown 5 cover on the other hand looks like a combination of Baker and Wolverton. I like it a lot.

I am sure that the two of them didn't combine talents on anything but I could imagine a Martian setting for that inking style.

Did Voodah change gender as well as skin color in later issues? Voodah was clearly the male in the Crown 3 story.

bb

OK folks...

A friend of mine, Ron Hobbs, a professional illustrator, provided a piece for the Shuster awards, commemorating the 70th anniversary of Superman. He used Teen-age Romances # 42 as a template for an original piece of art featuring Superman.

Acerno also does Baker cover recreations. This one is listed for sale in the forum.

bb

2963629444_3590470bdd_o.jpg

I copied all of these scans from Goldenagecomics.UK but for got to post them. Most of these are by Baker,

but I would suggest that someone else also worked on the art.

I thought of Gov. Palin when I saw this Skygirl splash.

2942033100_dc8febafe7_b.jpg

2942033110_106139413e_b.jpg

2942033104_19d2b3bdd2_o.jpg

2942033108_70193bd664_b.jpg

I was recently able to upgrade this issue. This is one of my favorites in the Baker romance area. So much detail. I'd really like to know what happened to all the OA for St. John. You rarely see any.

WR16-1.jpg

I was recently able to upgrade this issue. This is one of my favorites in the Baker romance area. So much detail. I'd really like to know what happened to all the OA for St. John. You rarely see any.

That is a nice one! :applause: