• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

Hey I notice that in Jim's notes, he doesn't see any Baker stories in issue 37 either. Maybe it is just Alberto or he has other information that we blind people don't have. I am always amazed at how some people can recognize work by their favorite artist by a few panels or fingers.

bb

By the way, I didn't see any Baker work in either the 100 pg APC 27 or 28.

Edited by BB-Gun

For some reason this splash page of original art was not identified in the AE article.

It looks like the Baker splash for Mysta in Planet 57.

Probably worth about $10K don't you think.

3327519022_b9418e2b56_o.jpg

Some of Baker's best work was done on westerns.

The later issues of the Texan have extra large panels, as if they were reformatted from a Sunday strip or pocketbook format.

Anyone know the story?

His ladies tended to be tough and not just the "damsel in distress".

bb

[ 3314418370_b446cf29d9_b.jpg

3313594911_b2bce5ecb4_b.jpg

Perhaps some of these stories were intended for, or reprinted from, Midget comics. That could explain the larger type.

I have a few additional examples in one of my coverless boxes.

I also wondered if all of the stories from the APC 100 pg issues were original. Could they be from other St. John titles that are rebound?

I didn't recognize any stories but that doesn't mean too much.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I must admit that I am particularly fond of this Teenage Romance cover (I think this is TR 12).

I like the lab coat and sleeve covers but where are the safety glasses?

bb

3335652258_dd7b728f52_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

The later issues of the Texan have extra large panels, as if they were reformatted from a Sunday strip or pocketbook format.

Anyone know the story?

bb

Perhaps some of these stories were intended for, or reprinted from, Midget comics. That could explain the larger type.

bb

The Winking Buddha story from APC 25 was reformatted from the pocket book size but I don't notice a change in the size of the lettering. I guess that doesn't mean a lot but it is interesting to speculate.

3335088083_4e5654e67e_b.jpg

I must admit that I am particularly fond of this Teenage Romance cover (I think this is TR 12).

I like the lab coat and sleeve covers but where are the safety glasses?

bb

3335652258_dd7b728f52_o.jpg

You know what I love about this cover BB...is that the story is actually in the backdrop it has nothing to do with the blonde in the lab coat. Such a great idea!

Anyone know the story?

bb

bb

The Winking Buddha story from APC 25 was reformatted from the pocket book size but I don't notice a change in the size of the lettering. I guess that doesn't mean a lot but it is interesting to speculate.

3335088083_4e5654e67e_b.jpg

Curious which issue is the lady with the dress and umbrella in?

Anyone know the story?

bb

bb

Curious which issue is the lady with the dress and umbrella in?

I think the lady with the parasol was in The Texan #13. She doesn't look that tough but she was a Baker girl. I also suspect that she was in midget comics edition (Fighting Indians) but no proof.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I'm new to the boards but I have a little insight as far as Baker's last days. Ray Osrin was Baker's favorite inker and a friend. Ray was younger and they first met when Ray showed up at the Iger shop looking for work. Matt saw his talent and nutured, him getting him work doing production art and finally inking. He also helped socialize Ray who was awkward around women and such. In an interview Ray said Matt got increasingly sicker and would pass out on occasion, in public. When St.John's collapsed Ray moved away and did political catooning for a newspaper. He had lost contact with Matt and when he heard of his death was unable to attend his funeral as he couldn't afford the travel, something that always haunted him. Apparently, in his later years, Ray would only rush to the phone when he heard the name "Matt Baker". Ray Osrin died in 2001.

That seems so strange, it must be real. What did Orsin think of Matt's work? Were there any other comments??? Sounds like we are left with a lot of mysteries.

bb

Apparently Matt did some nice work on westerns for Atlas. Does anyone have any covers?

I'm new to the boards but I have a little insight as far as Baker's last days. Ray Osrin was Baker's favorite inker and a friend. Ray was younger and they first met when Ray showed up at the Iger shop looking for work. Matt saw his talent and nutured, him getting him work doing production art and finally inking. He also helped socialize Ray who was awkward around women and such. In an interview Ray said Matt got increasingly sicker and would pass out on occasion, in public. When St.John's collapsed Ray moved away and did political catooning for a newspaper. He had lost contact with Matt and when he heard of his death was unable to attend his funeral as he couldn't afford the travel, something that always haunted him. Apparently, in his later years, Ray would only rush to the phone when he heard the name "Matt Baker". Ray Osrin died in 2001.

About time you joined :) Welcome to the boards Ron. It's sad Ray died I'm sure he could have provided a lot more insight into Baker. I know you know this Ron but Ray also wanted Baker to be his best man at his wedding so you get an idea how close of a friendship they must have had.

Thnx Jo and Roy for the warm welcome.

I wish I could have met Ray and done an interview. I've toyed with the idea of a Matt Baker movie screenplay, but there is too little known. Ray would be an excellent device for bringing us into Matt's world, Baker being a man of the world and Ray being the eager pupil. Their friendship sounds unique and a perfect symbol for our multi- cultural times.

Thnx Jo and Roy for the warm welcome.

I wish I could have met Ray and done an interview. I've toyed with the idea of a Matt Baker movie screenplay, but there is too little known. Ray would be an excellent device for bringing us into Matt's world, Baker being a man of the world and Ray being the eager pupil. Their friendship sounds unique and a perfect symbol for our multi- cultural times.

For what it's worth Ron is the reason Louise and I got into collecting Matt Baker.

He showed us the first Baker cover we ever noticed and got us addicted when he flashed this book in front of us. After that it became a disease I tell ya...

TrueLovePictorial11-1.jpg

I'm sure it's just the start of a long love affair! :applause:

My first

tee168a.jpg