• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,556 posts in this topic

In case anyone was interested in seeing some panels..

Let's see, corporal punishment, catfights?

You had to ask? :baiting:

Adam, don't you have some great Bakers too?

This one may have been posted already. But while I was searching in the other boxes, I found a few other scans to post. The sadist illo is from Fury. The other story illustrated by Baker was written by Harlan Ellison (based on his teenage gang non-fiction).

2584920443_7284df4dd4_b.jpg

2584920629_c06e81c7f1.jpg

And my last three romance comics, unless I find something else hidden in the "T" box. The last two are beater copies with a little photoshop work.

bb

2586759611_c214afb9e9_b.jpg

2586759341_918de9787d_b.jpg

That Pictorial Romances cover seems kind of cynical.

And this Going Steady cover pictures the ultimate romantic dream. (Except for Dad paying the $18,000 for the wedding.)

2587593414_eafe43684c_b.jpg

2585707140_62a5bc0fdd_b.jpg

This isn't identified as a Baker cover in the guide but it is at least influenced by Baker. Maybe he had a different inker?

bb

This looks pretty Baker to me. I wonder why it's not acknowledged. It's really interesting to see these pencil drawings as well.

Here are some more..

I really dig this Teen-Age Temptations even though there is no Baker art in the interior, you can see two artist's perspectives on the same panel. The cover is Baker and the interior has a story done by Rick Estrada.

AACOVER3.jpg

Also, even though this Pictorial Romances is one of the more common, I think it is great one for Baker illustrations.

aaacover4copy.jpg

AACOVER2.jpg

aacover1.jpg

Now, anyone want to sell me their Cinderella Love 25? :cloud9::luhv:

2587227445_a5d566bb93_b.jpg

I found another Diary Secrets but I think I will stop looking now. These romance comics were picked up and just stuffed in random boxes. Hopefully they will be easier to locate from now on.

bb

OK folks...

A friend of mine, Ron Hobbs, a professional illustrator, provided a piece for the Shuster awards, commemorating the 70th anniversary of Superman. He used Teen-age Romances # 42 as a template for an original piece of art featuring Superman.

He is now offering commissions, based on Baker covers, featuring characters or people of your choice for $150.00.

Images will be 11" X 15" big.

Contact Ron and say what you want. He will provide a sketch. Once you are happy with the sketch, Pay-pal the payment. He will finish it in ink and ship it off.

Ron can be reached @ i_ron_ical@yahoo.ca.

Link to Ron's website:

www.ronhobbsstoryboard.webs.com/

HobbsBaker.jpg

Edited by eccomic

And as long as I have the "C" box out, don't forget the Classic Comics edition of Lorna Doone. Ok, someone may have shown this one but I had the box out and Brigadoon was on TV yesterday.

bb

2594037932_9ea1e7aa61_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Hey, guys, thanks for posting all those great Baker covers. I'm a big Baker fan but have ignored the romance covers in favor of interior art. I'm thinking now I'll have to start looking for some at the next con I make it to. (Hoepfully not Wondercon '09!)

And is anyone else surprised at how racy some of these covers are? Not for the images themselves, but for the situations they portray?

And is anyone else surprised at how racy some of these covers are? Not for the images themselves, but for the situations they portray?

:cloud9:

Hey, guys, thanks for posting all those great Baker covers. I'm a big Baker fan but have ignored the romance covers in favor of interior art. I'm thinking now I'll have to start looking for some at the next con I make it to. (Hoepfully not Wondercon '09!)

It is interesting isn't it? You get everything from "reefer smoking", brothels, to wayward girls. Things you would have thought would have been "taboo". And, these comics were targeted to the teenagers. The St. John scripts really kept you interested much better than the tears on cheek stories that came after sensors.

Edited by JvR11