• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chief1332 said:

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say new collectors seeing the headlines about comics being sold for large amounts of money, and established collectors cashing in and/or branching out into new segments.  Maybe high or highest in grade books being offered are lifting the tide for the lesser copies.  We all witnessed the most recent SA value climb, and GA could be catching up a bit.

I know I have had to adjust my grade expectations a bit. I have always said a lower grade copy is better than no copy at all. I think a lot of collectors are doing the same thing. Better to get what you want while you still can. The ship has pretty much sailed for me on so much stuff.

I see “adjustments” coming (in all grades) just hard to say when. One thing for sure, there will no huge drops on key books. The folks who are “dabbling” are due for a big surprise when they go to cash in. I know of 2 local flippers who have already bailed.

Savvy and smart collectors will come out just fine.

So glad I got in early when a lot of stuff was off most people’s radar…

On 1/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, Chief1332 said:

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say new collectors seeing the headlines about comics being sold for large amounts of money, and established collectors cashing in and/or branching out into new segments.  Maybe high or highest in grade books being offered are lifting the tide for the lesser copies.  We all witnessed the most recent SA value climb, and GA could be catching up a bit.

No idea.  Could be the fine art people moving into comics, but I still think dumping 20k into a book is a lot of money.  Now many of these books are dropping for high 5 figures.  That's still quite a large sum of cash.  50k is a downpayment on a house or a fully loaded SUV purchased outright.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, comicnoir said:

They weren't Baker, but this makes me feel a little better about some of my recent "what was I thinking" purchases.

i.e. The buyers (other than me) are out there for this kinda stuff.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:19 PM, manetteska said:

They weren't Baker, but this makes me feel a little better about some of my recent "what was I thinking" purchases.

i.e. The buyers (other than me) are out there for this kinda stuff.

"Honey, I admit I went a bit overboard with that Secret Wars #8 Spidey page, but did you *see* the crazy price on this Giant Comics Edition #6?"

On 12/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, BriD. said:

Two copies of this popped up on MCS last week. Sold quickly so I feel lucky :cool:

20211220_194242_HDR_(1).jpg

I'll have to see if I can find my copy. I paid $20 for my copy before the price explosion. It also wasn't advertised well.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, Vince G said:

No idea.  Could be the fine art people moving into comics, but I still think dumping 20k into a book is a lot of money.  Now many of these books are dropping for high 5 figures.  That's still quite a large sum of cash.  50k is a downpayment on a house or a fully loaded SUV purchased outright.

Maybe some investors got rich on crypto and are moving over to comics.

I assume others were watching this one as well, but a very strong sale for a 2.5 Seven Seas 6:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265498461540?hash=item3dd0f10564%3Ag%3Aw7EAAOSwLqth4OSl&nma=true&si=JiL%2B%2Fz1hCM3qDOXfWowNY5BZEDM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice to see it coming into it's own a bit. The first two issues of the series, terrible covers aside, are still tremendously undervalued IMHO.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:58 AM, PeterPark said:

I assume others were watching this one as well, but a very strong sale for a 2.5 Seven Seas 6:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265498461540?hash=item3dd0f10564%3Ag%3Aw7EAAOSwLqth4OSl&nma=true&si=JiL%2B%2Fz1hCM3qDOXfWowNY5BZEDM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice to see it coming into it's own a bit. The first two issues of the series, terrible covers aside, are still tremendously undervalued IMHO.

Makes me feel glad about my copy and sad about the under copy I sold.

Shaun Clancy (Bakerfan) recently posted on fb that he owned a Seven Seas 4 nm double cover that he bought in 1997 for $2K and sold the next day for $3K. He regrets it of course.

NM double cover!

Does anyone know anything about this book, like who owns it now?

On 1/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, eccomic said:

The sheer ignorance of sellers never cease to amaze me :smile: Talk about leaving money on the table.  To add insult to injury he mentions not ONLY GGA but mentions Baker in title....:whatthe:

IMG_0187.jpg

Congrats!  I checked this site a couple of times.  How long was it listed?  I totally missed the boat on this one.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, eccomic said:

The sheer ignorance of sellers never cease to amaze me :smile: Talk about leaving money on the table.  To add insult to injury he mentions not ONLY GGA but mentions Baker in title....:whatthe:

IMG_0187.jpg

:whatthe:  Dayum.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, eccomic said:

IMG_0187.jpg

Wow. Have to not spend for a while but I would have made an exception for this. I didn’t see this Baker but there was a Cole I was tracking I probably should have bought. 

Hopefully the new owner needed that issue and enjoys it. 

On 1/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, Point Five said:

Idly curious: Jumbo #69 is Matt Baker's first interior story, but what issue is his first cover in comics? Is there a consensus?

So many artists copied him and his style so who could tell :bigsmile:

As a starting point for discussion, Atomic Comics #4 (7-8/46) seems to be a verified Baker cover. So the question could be reframed as, did Baker draw any Fiction House covers, or any other oddball covers like the Atomic one, in the 1944-to-early-1946 era.