• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,811 posts in this topic

Is that really a Baker cover?

5 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Is that really a Baker cover?

Issue 6?  It's generally credited to him.  The man looks like Baker's style from that period.  I assume that the face of the female figure is intended to be ghastly.  

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Somehow I don't think I ever posted this one.  Bought this raw on the boards as a 6.5/7.0.  Long enough ago that the seller is probably :pullhair: at the price.

This issue seems to be starring in some sales threads right now. :)

2017-07-07-0001.jpg

Great copy, Tony - another fabulous 'tall' Baker.

Speaking of sales threads, looks like we have some different boardies picking up Bakers... hm 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Somehow I don't think I ever posted this one.  Bought this raw on the boards as a 6.5/7.0.  Long enough ago that the seller is probably :pullhair: at the price.

This issue seems to be starring in some sales threads right now. :)

2017-07-07-0001.jpg

So nice!  I think anyone who has sold a Baker over five years ago is pulling their hair out.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I've got some.

lf_zpsb2972fbf.jpegRADEB31E2016112_163013_zpstrdcnz0i.jpg

That Crown #4 is gorgeous!  How tough is that one relative to the St. John stuff? I'm more partial to his non Romance covers (blasphemy,  I know).

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

That Crown #4 is gorgeous!  How tough is that one relative to the St. John stuff? I'm more partial to his non Romance covers (blasphemy,  I know).

Fairly tough, I think, with only five on the census.  I don't recall having seen many copies of this issue.

And what's all this about not liking romance covers?! :taptaptap:

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Fairly tough, I think, with only five on the census.  I don't recall having seen many copies of this issue.

And what's all this about not liking romance covers?! :taptaptap:

lol no, his Romance Comics are incredible.  Probably what I meant to say is outside of Phantom Lady, and the Seven Seas 4, I think a lot of his other covers are WAY under appreciated and a lot of them are on par with his Romance classics but not recognized as such.  :foryou:

Just now, sagii said:

lol no, his Romance Comics are incredible.  Probably what I meant to say is outside of Phantom Lady, and the Seven Seas 4, I think a lot of his other covers are WAY under appreciated and a lot of them are on par with his Romance classics but not recognized as such.  :foryou:

Well, all right, then! :)

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody got scans of the Baker Crown Comics? I just never see them anywhere. 

crown3.jpg

29 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Jeez, I was going to sell mine...  maybe need to hold?  (I don't have the Crown 1 any longer)

Crown 1 and 4.JPG

Well, @sagii will probably make you an offer on the 4. :)

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, @sagii will probably make you an offer on the 4. :)

I just did an eBay search and took the plunge on copy slabbed by the dreaded P*X.

I know it's a gamble but I know the seller and trust your experience on whether it was a rare opportunity to grab one. It stands out also because the image of the girl was used on the Baker tribute book.  

I  leave my C**S books as is but will ultimately crack this P*X one out and submit to CGC :wishluck:

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

I just did an eBay search and took the plunge on copy slabbed by the dreaded P*X.

I know it's a gamble but I know the seller and trust your experience on whether it was a rare opportunity to grab one. It stands out also because the image of the girl was used on the Baker tribute book.  

I  leave my C**S books as is but will ultimately crack this P*X one out and submit to CGC :wishluck:

The ones that company graded some years ago can be ok (although still a gamble).  The ones they've graded recently too often end up being :whatthe: