• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

Here is my other sericel from that buyer, which was my first purchase (of two). I liked this one a lot, especially the deep colors, which led me to a second. However, I feel the second one (Snake-Woman) is not as detailed or vibrant; it could be due to the differences in images and colors; or manufactured differently. I don’t know. Another reason I won’t spend over opening bid on any of these. 

E862B420-48D8-49A9-A9EC-8D05F487651F.thumb.jpeg.1adeed4540f7d16ece6118290364a530.jpeg

And here is part of the product with a 2022 date. I call it a product as it's three or so different pieces: sericel, on a board, the painted board, and then a final board.

AED1E34F-E9E8-418C-BB66-BF29EBE15A10.thumb.jpeg.dd69e60503ad76a631f1dff86d0fe5bf.jpeg

It could be these are truly warehouse images from the 90s and shipped or presented on current backer boards… again I don’t know.

Edited by manetteska
clarity

On 12/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, eccomic said:

Yeah I have two now at 6.5…and maybe trade sell one in the future. The first one I paid way way more at auction .. call it dollar cost averaging lol

Edited by Changer

On 12/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, Yorick said:

Here's a picture of my 1.0 copy.  Fits the season in my opinion.  TOUGH book.  I would have loved to buy the 6.0 that Rick sold, but it would have taken some extreme liquidation to get there...

100_0623.JPG

I would love to buy that 6.0 back

My current copy of this will be the last Baker in my collection. 

There's definitely a conversation to be had about why e.g. the couples on the covers of St. John titles like Teen-Age Romances and the above Going Steady look like their ages are skewing to late 20s (charitably) or 30s. 

My guess has long been that if teenagers to college students were buying romance comics, St. John/Baker tried to make the covers more 'aspirational' by making the characters slightly more mature and sophisticated. But that's just a guess. Thoughts?

On 12/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, Point Five said:

There's definitely a conversation to be had about why e.g. the couples on the covers of St. John titles like Teen-Age Romances and the above Going Steady look like their ages are skewing to late 20s (charitably) or 30s. 

My guess has long been that if teenagers to college students were buying romance comics, St. John/Baker tried to make the covers more 'aspirational' by making the characters slightly more mature and sophisticated. But that's just a guess. Thoughts?

Good point. I will put that in my pipe and smoke it! 🤔