• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

Some of the splash pages were pretty good although most of them were not full pages. The text of the stories tended to be more involved with less action than Sky Girl or Tiger Girl.

bb

2657708543_71b2e6f01f_b.jpg

2657707343_35d57cf8b5_b.jpg

2657708787_1f5cb0ca48_b.jpg

2657708287_f7e51d33c3_b.jpg

2657708055_72ec13cd34_b.jpg

2657707827_8befe8a088_b.jpg

All of these scans were found on line at Goldenagecomics.uk

This thread inspired me to open up an account here so I could add my 2 cents worth, or should I say my love for Matt Baker’s art always keeps me inspired...so I could not help but join in to this topic. Thanks for making me feel welcome. The Sky Girl pages by Baker that Scrooge posted are perfect examples of the quality of Baker’s drawing skills and his ability to tease and titillate the reader with the curvaceous female form. I wish that Fiction House had published Sky Girl under her own title, as the character, stories and art were most deserving. Sky girl would have fit in well with other GGA characters of the era such as Quality’s Lady Luck, or M.E.’s Black Phantom (which I believe were reprinted from issues of Manhunt), and Bill Ward’s Torchy (she got her start in Dollman and Modern Comics first). It would have been easy for Fiction House to reprint the Sky Girl stories from Jumbo Comics, oh well.

Just a thought...I know if I was in the army and Sky Girl or Canteen Kate were in my battalion (or anywhere near it), I would probably get my head blown off by the enemy, because I would have been too busy ogling their curves instead of paying attention to the war right in front of me.

JvR11’s Giant Comics edition #15 is on many peoples Want List, and the blond on the cover is alluring and wholesome simultaneously. I love that cover, and the blond’s all-American sweetness on that cover contrasts #12 of that title, with the not-so Apple Pie hooker on the cover which is definatly on my want list. You see, Baker could convey those contrasting looks, good vs naughty, sweet vs snobbish or spoiled so well.

Just a thought...I know if I was in the army and Sky Girl or Canteen Kate were in my battalion (or anywhere near it), I would probably get my head blown off by the enemy, because I would have been too busy ogling their curves instead of paying attention to the war right in front of me.

I like long hair myself so I'd be dead if around Sky Girl ... Canteen Kate, not so much ... but I can see why you'd get distracted -

61886-FightinMarines4Story3s.jpg.16aa89b119d6ff0240acf70143c23888.jpg

61887-FightinMarines4Story3Pages.jpg.3593157f0f062dfa8cfc35232402bc18.jpg

My girlfriend has started collecting Baker books. This was her first want when she realized how beautiful Baker's art is. I have rescanned it.

TrueLovePictorial11-1.jpg

This past weekend at the Toronto Comicon I found this for her...she LOVES covers with green dresses so needless to say she is very happy with it!

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

If anyone has any other Bakers, I'm with BB post away. I love seeing these.

Just catching up on this thread!!!! This book is not Romance but it is a Baker cover that you just don't see very often!!!!

I really like the way the Tiger is drawn on this one!!!!

wildboy11.jpg

At sometime the editors decided to censor Baker's art because it was a little too risque. Here is a restoration of his splash panel for She-Wolf in Weird Adventures 1.

bb

2707148676_5d3f8e1a0d_o.jpg

Scan is from the Canadian edition. I thought they might have put a tee-shirt on her because it is cold up there.

or maybe it would be better with a little less lettering on the cover.

bb

2707409186_e61dc5038a_o.jpg

Perhaps the title of the comic should be [font:Comic Sans MS]Weird Romance[/font]!

Edited by BB-Gun

and the rest...

2707571806_4c896a4c78_b.jpg

2706754521_c449b8ec58_b.jpg

2706755143_a0bac1d06d_b.jpg

The sequel, "Return of the She-Wolf", would have to be in the "Vault of Romantic Horrors".

bb

The unedited scans are from Goldenagecomics.UK.

Edited by BB-Gun